Face Mask Policy
Related Documents: Face Mask Procedure
- Owner: General Counsel and Secretary of the Board of Governors; Provost and Vice-President, Academic; Vice-President, Administration and Operations;
- Approver: Office of the President
- Approval Date(s): July 2020
City of Toronto’s By-law 541-2020 requires an operator of an establishment that is open to the public to adopt a policy to ensure that no member of the public is permitted entry to or otherwise remains within any enclosed space unless the member of the public is wearing a Mask or Face Covering (as hereinafter defined).
Ryerson University acknowledges that physical distancing is difficult to maintain in enclosed spaces (indoors) and understands that the City of Toronto’s Medical Officer of Health has advised that a Mask or Face Covering is a necessary, recognized, practicable and effective method to limit the spread of COVID-19.
Notwithstanding that the By-law does not apply to post-secondary institutions, Ryerson University is committed to promoting the health, safety, and well-being of persons and the economic, social, and well-being of the community during the COVID-19 pandemic declared by the World Health Organization.
III. Application and Scope
This Policy applies to all staff, faculty, students, contractors and visitors on Ryerson University premises including premises that are owned, leased, or licensed.
This Policy exempts the following:
(a) children under two years of age;
(b) persons with an underlying medical condition which inhibits their ability to wear a Mask or Face Covering;
(c) persons who are unable to place or remove a Mask or Face Covering without assistance; and
(d) persons who are reasonably accommodated by not wearing a Mask or Face Covering in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code.
This Policy is not to be interpreted to conflict with or supersede any statutes applicable to Ryerson University.
“By-law” means City of Toronto By-law 541-2020 To impose temporary regulations requiring the wearing of masks or other face coverings in enclosed public spaces;
“Mask or Face Covering” means a mask, balaclava, bandana, scarf, cloth or other similar item that covers the nose, mouth and chin without gapping.
1. A Mask or Face Covering must be worn by an individual while in any enclosed space where the public is permitted entry to or otherwise remains (e.g. lobbies, elevators, hallways, common areas).
2. A Mask or Face Covering must be worn by an individual while in any other enclosed space unless designated or prescribed by Ryerson University.
3. An individual who is within an area designated for the individual by Ryerson University and not for public access, or is within or behind a physical barrier, is not required to wear a Mask or Face Covering.
4. An individual may temporarily remove a Mask or Face Covering where necessary for the purpose of receiving services, or while actively engaging in an athletic or fitness activity.
5. An individual claiming an exemption to this Policy under one of the exemptions set out in section III is not required to provide any supporting documentation or other proof.
Ryerson University will manage compliance and enforcement of this Policy in accordance with existing processes in place. Students are subject to the Student Code of Non-Academic Conduct, faculty and unionized staff are subject to collective agreements and Human Resources processes, non-unionized staff are subject to Human Resources processes, contractors are subject to contracts, and visitors are subject to the authority of the senior university administrator host.