You are now in the main content area


You must notify your instructor(s) or the teaching or program department as soon as circumstances arise that can impact your academic performance. It is also your responsibility to try to resolve all course related issues with the instructor as soon as they occur and then, if needed, with the Chair/Director of the teaching department/school. Failure to do so may jeopardize an appeal.

Steps to take before submitting an appeal:

  1. Informal Resolution
    • During a semester, you may encounter issues that impact your academic performance. Whenever possible and prior to initiating a grade appeal, you should attempt to resolve all grade-related issues informally through communication with your instructor(s). If you are unable to resolve the situation with your instructor(s), or if you are unable to reach them, contact the Chair or Director of the department/school that offers the course (the teaching department/School). 
  2. Grade Reassessment (for issues related to individual assignment grades)
    • You can request to have a graded course component reassessed if you believe that the grade does not reflect the academic merit of your work, or you can request a recalculation if you believe an error or omission has been made in the calculation of grades. Your requests for a grade reassessment must be based on sufficient academic grounds and be supported by evidence and documentation (e.g. from the course outline, course notes, textbooks, assignment grade rubric). 
    • To request a grade reassessment, you should contact your instructor within ten (10) business days of the date when the graded work in question is returned to the class, or when the grade on the work is posted. Grades not questioned within this period may not be reassessed.
    • For work graded during the final week of classes, or during the exam period, there might not be an opportunity to review the work with the instructor prior to the assignment of a final grade in the course. In that case, you should contact the instructor about the work as soon as possible, and usually within ten (10) business days from the date that grades and standing are available to students on RAMSS.
    • For detailed information on grade reassessment procedures, refer to Policy 162 on PDF fileGrade Reassessment and Grade Recalculation.
  3. Appeals: 

There are two types of appeals:

  1. Grade Appeals: must be submitted to the School that offers the course being appealed (the teaching department/school). All grade appeals for Chang School courses must be submitted to The Chang School. 
  2. Academic Standing Appeals: must be submitted to your program/School. 

Grounds of Appeal:

  • Medical
  • Compassionate
  • Prejudice 
  • Procedural Error
  • Course Management (may be considered as grounds for grade appeal but not Academic Standing appeals). 

Refer to PDF filePolicy 134: Undergraduate Academic Consideration and Appeals for detailed definitions of these grounds.

There are three levels of appeals:

  1. Department Level: Students who wish to appeal the decision of the Department/School must do so to the Dean of the Faculty. 
  2. Faculty Level: Students who wish to appeal the decision of the Faculty must do so to the Senate Appeals Committee.
  3. Senate Level: Decisions of the Senate Appeals Committee are final and may not be appealed.

Appeal Resources on Campus

Appeals forms, instructions, Policy, and Code of Conduct are available from the Senate.

It is recommended that you seek assistance and advice when filing an appeal. For advice on your appeal, please contact the following:

For advice concerning an appeal on the grounds of discrimination:
Human Rights Services
(416) 979-5349

Academic Appeals Submission Procedure

Effective the Winter 2020 term, undergraduate students enrolled in an undergraduate program wishing to appeal their standing in their program, and/or to appeal a grade received in courses taught in any Faculty (with the exception of Faculty of Law and Graduate Studies), are to use the online appeals system to submit their request. 

Once you submit an academic appeal through the online system, the relevant decision-maker, Student Records and the Senate Office will receive a notification through their Ryerson e-mail. The decision-maker will be able to assess the merits of your appeal and submit their decision through the administrative online system. When their decision is issued, you, Student Records, the Senate Office and other relevant stakeholders will be notified through their Ryerson email of the decision.

Detailed instructions regarding submission, resources on academic appeals and access to the submission portal can be found here.  If you have any questions or concerns, please contact