Early Childhood Studies (BA)
Is It for You?
This program provides in-depth knowledge of child development from birth through age eight. You’ll study physiological, psychological and social perspectives and develop understanding and skills pertaining to family support, early childhood education, arts, literacy and disabilities in young children. Field education each year, international placement and research opportunities and the chance to apply to a consecutive BEd program with York University will prepare you to work with children, families and professionals in a variety of settings.
What You Need to Know
Full Time: Four Year; Direct Entry to Third Year
Part Time: Direct Entry to Third Year
Bachelor of Arts
*Actual minimum grade ranges required for fall 2021 admission/wait list consideration will be determined based on grades and qualifications presented by the applicant pool as they become available. Required grade ranges may fluctuate from year to year (up or down) as a result of competition. Applicants not educated in Ontario may present the equivalent of the Ontario requirements. Ryerson reserves the right to determine equivalency at its sole discretion.
Tuition and Fees 2021/2022
Domestic Fees Range: $7,082 - $7,573
International Fees Range: $29,945 - $31,432
Part-Time Format (One to Eight or More Courses)
Domestic Fees Range: $891 - $5,391
International Fees Range: $3,135 - $23,345
For detailed fees information visit Tuition and Fees by Program.
Requirements for Full-Time, Four-Year Program
Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or equivalent with a minimum of six Grade 12 U or M courses including the following program specific requirements.
Typically, a minimum overall average of 70% establishes eligibility for admission consideration; subject to competition individual programs may require higher prerequisite grades and/or higher overall averages:
- English/anglais (ENG4U/EAE4U preferred)
- One grade 11 U or M or Grade 12 U or M mathematics or science course (one of MCF3M, MCR3U, SCH3U, SPH3U, SBI3U, SNC3M, MHF4U, MCV4U, MDM4U, PSE4U/PSK4U, SBI4U, SCH4U, SPH4U, SES4U, SNC4M, SVN3M)
- Note: the minimum grade(s) required in the subject prerequisites (normally in the 70-75% range) will be determined subject to competition
Academic admission requirements for all other applicants are available at:
Requirements for Full-Time and Part-Time Direct Entry Program
- Early Childhood Education Diploma from a public Ontario College or equivalent, with minimum 3.0/B/70% cumulative GPA PLUS
- All applicants must have completed three lower level one-term (or equivalent) liberal studies courses at the university level with minimum B- (70%) grades. Please note the following liberal studies restrictions:
- College General Education courses cannot be used as substitutions for university level liberal studies courses
- One of the lower level liberal studies courses must be an English subject
- These courses cannot be part of the ECE diploma studies
- These courses cannot be an introductory level psychology or sociology
You are prepared to work with children, families and professionals in a wide range of settings including schools, family resource centres, children’s hospitals, early childhood centres, social services, children’s advocacy and government. You may work as a speech language pathologist, family support worker, child life specialist, research officer, nursery school teacher, foster support worker, teacher or registered early childhood educator. You may also choose to complete a two-year bachelor of education or pursue graduate work in any number of fields pertaining to young children, such as education, speech-language pathology, child life or social work.
Explore Ryerson's unique urban campus in the heart of downtown Toronto from the comfort of your own home!