Please note: 2019/2020 tuition amounts and updated grade ranges will be added to the program pages as they become available.
Early Childhood Studies (BA)
Full Time: Four Year; Direct Entry to Third Year
Part Time: Direct Entry to Third Year
Bachelor of Arts
*Actual minimum grade ranges required for Fall 2019 admission/wait list consideration will be determined based on grades and qualifications presented by the applicant pool as they become available. Required grade ranges may fluctuate from year to year (up or down) as a result of competition. Applicants not educated in Ontario may present the equivalent of the Ontario requirements. Ryerson reserves the right to determine equivalency at its sole discretion.
Field education each year solidifies in-class learning and to further develop skills; international placements and research opportunities; exposure to and understanding of diversity, equity and inclusion. Possible study paths include a degree completion program beginning at George Brown College or a joint BA/BEd program with York University.
Work with children, families and professionals in a wide range of settings; for example, as a resource teacher or consultant; in family resource centres, children’s hospitals, early childhood centres or social services; in children’s advocacy and governmental policy development. Complete a two-year bachelor of education or pursue graduate work in any number of fields pertaining to young children, such as education, speech-language pathology, child life, or social work.
What You Need to Know
Domestic Fees Range: $7,703 - $8,289
International Fees Range: $25,926 - $25,958
Part-Time Format (One to Eight or More Courses)
Domestic Fees Range: $902 - $5,819
International Fees Range: $2,662 - $19,850
For detailed fees information visit Fees by Program.
Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or equivalent with a minimum of six Grade 12 U or M courses including the following program specific requirements.
Typically, a minimum overall average of 70% establishes eligibility for admission consideration; subject to competition individual programs may require higher pre-requisite grades and/or higher overall averages:
- English/Anglais (ENG4U/EAE4U preferred).
- One grade 11 U or M or Grade 12 U or M Mathematics or Science course (one of: MCF3M, MCR3U, SCH3U, SPH3U, SBI3U, SNC3M, MHF4U, MCV4U, MDM4U, PSE4U/PSK4U, SBI4U, SCH4U, SPH4U, SES4U, SNC4M, SVN3M).
- The minimum grade(s) required in the subject prerequisites (normally in the 70-75% range) will be determined subject to competition.
Academic admission requirements for all other applicants are available at:
- Early Childhood Education Diploma from a public Ontario College or equivalent, with minimum 3.0/B/70% cumulative GPA PLUS
- All applicants must have completed three lower level one-term (or equivalent) liberal studies courses at the university level with minimum B- (70%) grades. Please note the following liberal studies restrictions:
- College General Education courses cannot be used as substitutions for university level liberal studies courses.
- One of the lower level liberal studies courses must be an English subject.
- These courses cannot be part of the ECE diploma studies
- These courses cannot be an introductory level Psychology or Sociology.