- International Metropolis Conference 2019: Social Inclusion Workshop – Social inclusion and refugee integration: lessons learned (June 25th, 2019, 2:00 pm, Shaw Centre, Ottawa, ON)
This workshop will examine responses to the Syrian civil war crisis of 2015 and resulting refugee flows by evaluating cases of integration – or lack thereof – in Canada, Germany, and Central Europe. The cultural, scholarly, and professional diversity of the discussants offers a wide range of analyses of the local populations’ ability to respond to large inflows of refugees and measures for improvement in policy and practice.
Discussants: Usha George, Huda Bukhari, Philina Wittke, Georgeta Pourchot
- International Metropolis Conference 2019: Compacts and Sustainable Development Goals Workshop – Critical issues in migration governance: from regular pathways to highlights of the forthcoming World Migration Report 2020 (June 25th, 2019, 2:00 pm, Shaw Centre, Ottawa, ON)
In this workshop leading migration experts discuss some of the most pressing governance issues in migration: regular migration pathways and the links to irregular migration; the evolution of global migration governance and challenges to implementing the Global Compact; and responding to the increasingly prevalent situations globally of migrants in crises contexts.
Discussants: Marie McAuliffe, Anna Triandafyllidou, Kathleen Newland, Soumyadeep Banerjee, Caterina Guidi, Laura Bartolini
- International Metropolis Conference 2019: Cities and Migration Workshop – The inclusive city: envisioning municipal infrastructure options for immigrant integration (June 26th, 2019, 2:00 pm, Shaw Centre, Ottawa, ON)
This workshop includes four presentations that analyze the growth of municipal offices in Canada and the United States, and their impact on migrant integration. Particular focus will be given to what lessons can be learnt, and what challenges remain to be addressed.
Discussants: Westy Egmont, Usha George, Vera Dodic, Eva Millona
- International Metropolis Conference 2019: Children and Families Workshop – Putting family first: Implications for migration and integration policy and practice (June 26th, 2019, 2:00 pm, Shaw Centre, Ottawa, ON)
This workshop explores the settlement and integration of migrants, taking a ground-up perspective, with special focus given to the role of the family for integration, including themes such as children and youth, gender, work and community.
Discussants: Harald Bauder, Mehru Ali, Ümit Kiziltan, Marie McAuliffe, John Shields
- International Metropolis Conference 2019: Migrant Health Workshop – Establishing the right linkages between migrants’ health and appropriate healthcare post-migration (June 26th, 2019, 4:00 pm, Shaw Centre, Ottawa, ON)
In this workshop presenters will discuss the health status and conditions of migrants, with a focus on continuity of care and contributing to the healthy immigrant effect, as well as how we can support immigrants with health conditions to contribute positively to society.
Discussants: Michael MacKinnon, Usha George, Mary Ellen Macdonald, Charles Hui, Davide Mosca, Edward Ng