COVID-19 Health & Safety
The safety of our students, members and staff is always our first priority. An extensive review and redesign of our spaces and operations has been undertaken to ensure we are aligned with public health guidelines and emerging industry best practices.
We are confident you, our students and members, understand the importance of these new protocols and your role in keeping yourself and others safe. Students and members are expected to adhere to all safety requirements, facility signage and staff direction in advance of and throughout their visit. Expectations will be strictly enforced.
Pre-reserved time slots in combination with a check-in process for all students, members and staff will allow for contact tracing, should someone report a suspected or positive COVID-19 infection. If reported, Athletics & Recreation will engage Ryerson’s Environmental Health & Safety unit and Toronto Public Health, and follow their guidance with respect to communication and ongoing operations.
If you have questions or concerns related to our procedures or another person’s behaviour, please let our staff on-site know or email us at email@example.com.
Each student/member will be required to check-in to their pre-reserved time slot when entering the facility using their OneCard or Photo ID. Our facility entrances are equipped with hand sanitizer and queueing stanchions with physical distancing markers on the floor. Please remember to wear your mask and leave 2 metres space between you and others at all times.
In accordance with public health guidelines, every person entering our facilities will be screened by staff for COVID-19 symptoms and risks using the questions below. Students and members are encouraged to self-screen using the same questions prior to travelling to our facilities:
- Do you have any symptoms of COVID-19 such as the following?
- Runny nose
- Difficulty breathing
- Not feeling well
- Loss of taste or smell
- Sore throat, trouble swallowing
- Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea
- Have you been in contact with someone who has traveled outside of Canada in the last 14 days?
- Have you traveled outside of Canada in the last 14 days?
- Have you been tested for COVID-19 and are awaiting test results?
If the answer to ANY of these questions is YES:
- Do not attend / return home (avoiding public transportation)
- Connect with and follow local public health advice
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for guidance on how to obtain the required service
Upon reopening, the MAC’s Fitness Centre will operate at approximately 20% capacity in the fitness centre. Each 90-minute workout time slot will welcome 25 guests and be followed by 30 minutes for staff to clean and disinfect equipment and the facility between time slots. When the RAC opens, it will operate in a similarly reduced capacity.
Students and members will be required to reserve their workout time in advance and will be screened by staff (see ‘Health Screening’ section below) for COVID-19 symptoms and risks before being granted access to facilities.
- All pieces of strength and cardio equipment have been moved to be a minimum of 2 metres apart from each other or put temporarily out of service. We’re pleased to share that all but a small number of treadmills (that couldn’t be moved due to electrical requirements) remain in service in our new layout.
- Changerooms and showers are unavailable, while washroom stalls and sinks have been limited to ensure appropriate physical distancing and fixtures have been replaced with touchless options wherever required
- Regular locker and towel service are currently unavailable, though small day-lockers are available for use during your reserved time slot only and will be cleaned after use
- All lendable equipment / fitness accessories (e.g., medicine balls, BOSU balls, stability balls, elastic tubing, wobble boards, plyometric boxes) are currently unavailable
- Saunas, studios, squash courts, track, pool and table tennis tables are currently unavailable
- Students, members and staff are expected to maintain 2 metres physical distancing between themselves and others at all times in our facilities - please leave extra time to navigate and adjust your workout accordingly
- ‘Spotting’ (supporting another participant in performing their exercise) is not permitted - please adjust your weight selection accordingly to ensure your safety
- Floor fans will be offlined to avoid unnecessary air movement
Masks & Personal Protective Equipment
Expectations of students, members and staff are guided by City of Toronto by-law and Ryerson’s Face Mask policy.
- Students & Members: Face masks are required upon entering the facilities and in all non-activity spaces (washrooms, service desks, lobbies, etc.). Masks are encouraged but optional during fitness/athletic activities. Signage is in place throughout our facilities indicating where and when masks are required or optional.
- Athletics & Recreation Staff: All staff are required to wear a face covering at all times. Staff are also required to wear a face shield and face covering, gloves, and a gown when performing first aid.
Exemptions to these expectations are outlined in Ryerson’s Face Mask policy.
In addition to our already robust efforts to ensure our strength and fitness equipment is safe and clean, new electrostatic sprayers, external link have been purchased to support rapid and effective cleaning by staff between each workout time slot and again at the end of each day.
Students and members are also expected to use the regular spray and wipes provided to clean equipment before and after each use. Additional stations have been added to the facility in support. ‘Working in’ (sharing equipment with other participants between sets) is only permitted when cleaning between users.