COVID-19 Health & Safety
Last updated September 1, 2021
The safety of our students, members and staff is always our first priority. An extensive review and redesign of our spaces and operations has been undertaken to ensure we are meeting or exceeding public health guidelines and emerging industry best practices.
We are confident you, our students and members, understand the importance of these new protocols and your role in keeping yourself and others safe. Students and members are expected to adhere to all safety requirements, facility signage and staff direction in advance of and throughout their visit. Expectations will be strictly enforced.
Pre-reserved time slots in combination with a check-in process for all students, members and staff will allow for contact tracing, should someone report a suspected or positive COVID-19 infection. If reported, Athletics & Recreation will engage Ryerson’s Environmental Health & Safety unit and Toronto Public Health, and follow their guidance with respect to communication to participants and staff, and ongoing operations.
If you have questions or concerns related to our procedures or another person’s behaviour, please let our staff on-site know or email email@example.com.
- Indoors: A mask or face covering is mandatory at all times for recreation users from the moment you enter a facility until the moment you leave, including while exercising.
- Masks may be removed briefly for the purpose of hydrating or upon entering a shower stall.
- Pool users: Mask/face covering may be removed when showering and entering the pool water, but must otherwise be worn on the pool deck and in the changerooms.
- Outdoors: Masks are required any time a participant is not actively participating (e.g., before, after or on the sidelines during), but optional while participating outdoors.
This approach to masks and face coverings reflects the latest research, external link on the efficacy of masks at reducing the transmission of infection in spaces and programs like ours, as well as the shift in understanding, external link surrounding initial health concerns related to wearing a mask while working out. The Mayo Clinic Health System has a great FAQ on wearing a mask while exercising, external link to guide you.
Athletics & Recreation Staff
All staff are required to wear a mask or face covering at all times. In addition, staff are also required to wear a face shield, gloves and gown when performing first aid.
Exemptions to these expectations are outlined in Ryerson’s Face Mask policy.
Health Screening via RyersonSafe App: Students and members must complete the new health screening process via the RyersonSafe app or web browser within 24 hours prior to attending. If passed, students are welcome to attend and will be asked to show their green 'passed' screen to staff when checking-in to the facility. If you fail your health-screening, do not attend in-person.
The screening includes the now familiar questions summarized below.
Check-in Process: Each student/member will be required to check-in to their pre-reserved time slot when entering the facility using their OneCard or Photo ID. Our facility entrances are equipped with hand sanitizer and queueing stanchions with physical distancing markers on the floor. Please remember to wear your mask and leave 2 metres space between you and others at all times.
- Do you have any symptoms of COVID-19 such as the following?
- Runny nose
- Difficulty breathing
- Not feeling well
- Loss of taste or smell
- Sore throat, trouble swallowing
- Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea
- Have you been in contact with someone who has traveled outside of Canada in the last 14 days?
- Have you traveled outside of Canada in the last 14 days?
- Have you been tested for COVID-19 and are awaiting test results?
- Students, members and staff are expected to maintain 2 metres physical distancing between themselves and others at all times in our facilities - please leave extra time to navigate and adjust your workout accordingly
- ‘Spotting’ (supporting another participant in performing their exercise) is not permitted - please adjust your weight selection accordingly to ensure your safety
- Floor fans will be offlined to avoid unnecessary air movement
Fitness centre spaces and recreation programs will operate at reduced capacity. Each reserved time slot will welcome a limited number of guests and may be followed by 30 minutes for staff to clean and disinfect equipment and the facility between time slots.
Students and members are required to reserve their activity time in advance and must complete and show their passed health screening to staff (see ‘Health Screening’ section above) before being granted access to facilities.
- All pieces of strength and cardio equipment have been moved to be a minimum of 2 metres apart from each other or put temporarily out of service. We’re pleased to share that all but a small number of treadmills (that couldn’t be moved due to electrical requirements) remain in service in our new layout.
- Showers are available at both RAC and MAC starting September 13, 2021, while changeroom access, washroom stalls and sinks have been limited to ensure appropriate physical distancing and fixtures have been replaced with touchless options wherever required.
- Regular locker and towel services are currently unavailable. Large and small day-lockers are available for use during your reserved time slot only and will be cleaned after use.
- Some lendable equipment / fitness accessories remains unavailable - check with the service desk for options.
- Saunas, squash courts and the indoor track are currently unavailable.
In addition to our already robust efforts to ensure our strength, fitness and sport equipment is safe and clean, new electrostatic sprayers, external link have been purchased to support rapid and effective cleaning by staff between each workout time slot and again at the end of each day.
Students and members are also expected to use the regular spray and wipes provided to clean equipment before and after each use. Additional stations have been added to the facility in support. ‘Working in’ (sharing equipment with other participants between sets) is only permitted when cleaning between users.
Additional hand sanitizer stations have also been made available throughout our facilities, including in activity spaces.