COVID-19 Health & Safety
The safety of our students, members and staff is always our first priority. An extensive review and redesign of our spaces and operations has been undertaken to ensure we are aligned with public health guidelines and emerging industry best practices.
We are confident you, our students and members, understand the importance of these new protocols and your role in keeping yourself and others safe. Students and members are expected to adhere to all safety requirements, facility signage and staff direction in advance of and throughout their visit. Expectations will be strictly enforced.
Pre-reserved time slots in combination with a check-in process for all students, members and staff will allow for contact tracing, should someone report a suspected or positive COVID-19 infection. If reported, Athletics & Recreation will engage Ryerson’s Environmental Health & Safety unit and Toronto Public Health, and follow their guidance with respect to communication and ongoing operations.
If you have questions or concerns related to our procedures or another person’s behaviour, please let our staff on-site know or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Each student/member will be required to check-in to their pre-reserved time slot when entering the facility using their OneCard or Photo ID. Our facility entrances are equipped with hand sanitizer and queueing stanchions with physical distancing markers on the floor. Please remember to wear your mask and leave 2 metres space between you and others at all times.
In accordance with public health guidelines, every person entering our facilities will be screened by staff for COVID-19 symptoms and risks using the questions below. Students and members are encouraged to self-screen using the same questions prior to travelling to our facilities:
- Do you have any symptoms of COVID-19 such as the following?
- Runny nose
- Difficulty breathing
- Not feeling well
- Loss of taste or smell
- Sore throat, trouble swallowing
- Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea
- Have you been in contact with someone who has traveled outside of Canada in the last 14 days?
- Have you traveled outside of Canada in the last 14 days?
- Have you been tested for COVID-19 and are awaiting test results?
If the answer to ANY of these questions is YES:
- Do not attend / return home (avoiding public transportation)
- Connect with and follow local public health advice
- Contact email@example.com for guidance on how to obtain the required service
The MAC’s Fitness Centre will operate at approximately 20% capacity in the fitness centre. Each reserved workout time slot will welcome a limited number of guests and be followed by 30 minutes for staff to clean and disinfect equipment and the facility between time slots. When the RAC opens, it will operate in a similarly reduced capacity.
Students and members will be required to reserve their workout time in advance and will be screened by staff (see ‘Health Screening’ section below) for COVID-19 symptoms and risks before being granted access to facilities.
- All pieces of strength and cardio equipment have been moved to be a minimum of 3 metres apart from each other or put temporarily out of service. We’re pleased to share that all but a small number of treadmills (that couldn’t be moved due to electrical requirements) remain in service in our new layout.
- Showers are unavailable, while changeroom access, washroom stalls and sinks have been limited to ensure appropriate physical distancing and fixtures have been replaced with touchless options wherever required
- Regular locker and towel service are currently unavailable. Large and small day-lockers are available for use during your reserved time slot only and will be cleaned after use
- All lendable equipment / fitness accessories (e.g., medicine balls, BOSU balls, stability balls, elastic tubing, wobble boards, plyometric boxes) are currently unavailable
- Saunas, studios, squash courts, track, pool and table tennis tables are currently unavailable
- Students, members and staff are expected to maintain 3 metres physical distancing between themselves and others at all times in our facilities - please leave extra time to navigate and adjust your workout accordingly
- ‘Spotting’ (supporting another participant in performing their exercise) is not permitted - please adjust your weight selection accordingly to ensure your safety
- Floor fans will be offlined to avoid unnecessary air movement
Masks & Personal Protective Equipment
Expectations of students, members and staff are guided by City of Toronto by-law, Ryerson’s Face Mask policy and the latest scientific research specific to the active wellbeing sector.
- Students & Members: A mask or face covering is mandatory at all times for recreation users, including while exercising. Whether in a common area, using the fitness centre or taking part in ‘drop-in’ basketball, a mask or face covering is required from the moment a student/member enters the facility to the moment they leave. Of course, students/members may remove their mask briefly for the purpose of hydrating. The Mayo Clinic Health System has a great FAQ on wearing a mask while exercising, external link to guide you.
- Athletics & Recreation Staff: All staff are required to wear a mask or face covering at all times. Staff are also required to wear a face shield and face covering, gloves, and a gown when performing first aid.
This approach to masks and face coverings reflects the latest research, external link on the efficacy of masks at reducing the transmission of infection in spaces and programs like ours, the shift in understanding, external link surrounding initial health concerns related to wearing a mask while working out, and aligns with PDF fileToronto Public Health guidance for sport and recreational fitness facilities, external link for the 'Red / Control' level.
Exemptions to these expectations are outlined in Ryerson’s Face Mask policy.
In addition to our already robust efforts to ensure our strength and fitness equipment is safe and clean, new electrostatic sprayers, external link have been purchased to support rapid and effective cleaning by staff between each workout time slot and again at the end of each day.
Students and members are also expected to use the regular spray and wipes provided to clean equipment before and after each use. Additional stations have been added to the facility in support. ‘Working in’ (sharing equipment with other participants between sets) is only permitted when cleaning between users.