Trans Awareness Month in Athletics & Recreation
We know that sport spaces and communities have a long history of being unwelcoming to and unsafe for 2SLGBTQ members of our community, and especially trans folks (see 'Unsafe Spaces' in Egale's Every Class in Every School report, external link). In an effort to build a more welcoming community, our staff are trained in 2SLGBTQ inclusive principles, and all gender change spaces and programs are available.
While we are committed to making all programs and spaces safe and inclusive year-round, we know making time and space in combination with active community outreach can help break down barriers.
Programs & Resources Offered
- Looking for an ally?
- Free Welcome Visits
- Trans + Gender Diverse Swims
- Trans & Allies Group Fitness Classes
- Inclusive & Accessible Change Spaces
If you have questions or concerns about joining our community, navigating new spaces and programs or otherwise, and would like to connect with an ally prior, please contact our Recreation Manager, Andrew Pettit, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 416-970-5000 x7132.
A chance to try a new sport, recreation and wellness community before you commit to a membership is an opportunity welcomed by many. Given past experiences of violence and harassment in spaces like ours, we know this can be especially true for 2SLGBTQ and specifically trans folks.
In honour of Trans Awareness Month, we're excited to invite you - and everyone, of all gender identities and expressions - to take advantage of a free trial visit throughout November 2019.
- Guests are asked to visit one of our service desks in the RAC or MAC to sign-up for a free 'welcome' visit as part of our November promotion
- Each guest is welcome to 2 day passes throughout November 2019 at no charge
- Staff will be happy to provide an overview on and guide you to spaces and programs
- You will be asked to sign a participation waiver before entering
Ryerson Undergraduate & Graduate Students: Your membership is included in your tuition fees - just tap your OneCard at the RAC or MAC!
New this year, we are offering an inclusive swim time for trans and gender diverse members of our community - anyone committed to creating a positive space for trans folks is welcome!
- Weekly Swims: Tuesday evenings - check the pool schedule for details
- Community Pool Party: Efforts are underway to make the first Tuesday of each month a 'Trans + Gender Diverse Community Pool Party'. If you are interested in taking part or volunteering, contact us at email@example.com.
Special thanks to Positive Space Ryerson, the RSU Trans Collective, external link and the Non-Binary Colour Collective, external link for their advocacy and partnership bringing this important swim program to life.
Back on the schedule again this year are our Trans & Allies Group Fitness classes. As always, all classes are free to students, members, day pass holders and anyone joining us for a free 'Welcome' visit throughout November. Instructors are trained in inclusive principles and classes have been designated and announced as part of our ‘Trans & Allies' series.
Weekly Trans & Allies Schedule: November 2019
Classes have been specially selected to be welcoming to beginners:
- Mondays - Zumba with Tammy @ 12:10-1:00pm in RAC II Gym
- Tuesdays - Hatha Yoga with Katie @ 12:10-1:00pm in RAC Studio I
- Wednesdays - bodyART with Ildiko @ 12:00-1:00pm in RAC Studio I
- Thursdays - Bosu Body with Dione @ 12:10-12:50pm in RAC II Gym
- Fridays - Dance Fire! with Dione @ 12:10-12:50pm in RAC II Gym
See the entire range of classes and view class descriptions on our Group Fitness Schedule.
In keeping with Ryerson's broader efforts to create safe and accessible washroom spaces for trans and gender diverse members of our community, we respect everyone's right to choose the change space and washroom that is appropriate for them. In addition to our traditional women's and men's spaces, the following options are available to all members of our community.
Special thanks to the RSU's Trans Collective, external link for their advocacy in making our spaces and programs more inclusive.
Beyond Trans Awareness Month
November is an important month to recognize, support and celebrate trans communities, but we're here for and committed to making you - and everyone - feel welcome and safe all year long.
If you have questions or concerns about any of our programs or facilities, or extending any of the special offers above beyond one visit or the month of November, please contact our Recreation Manager, Andrew Pettit, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 416-970-5000 x7132.