MAC Reopening July 26, 2021
Masks now required always - including while exercising
Across Summer and Fall 2020, we welcomed over 8,000 visitors to the MAC with no recorded transmission of any infections within our facilities or operations.
As when we were last open in November, pre-reservation of workout slots will be required and our facility will be operating at reduced capacity to ensure a safe and enjoyable experience. Given the capacity restrictions, facility use will be limited to Ryerson students only.
Upon reopening, the majority of our health and safety measures remain unchanged from when we were last open in-person in November, with two notable exceptions:
- Masks are now required always - including while exercising. Like other fitness centres in the City, we've opted to exceed the current Toronto Public Health regulations in an effort to increase the safety, comfort and confidence of our students and staff upon our initial return. This protocol reflects the latest research on the efficacy of masks at reducing the transmission of infection in spaces/programs like ours, external link and the safety of wearing a mask while exercising, external link. The Mayo Clinic Health System has a great FAQ on wearing a mask while exercising, external link to guide you.
- Health screening required to be completed via the RyersonSafe app or web browser within 24 hours prior to arrival. Students and members will see the same familiar screening questions we've used previously and will be required to show their green 'Health Screening Passed' confirmation screen to staff upon entering the facility. If you have not completed or did not pass the screening, do not visit in-person.
Updates on Fall Planning
All of our reopening decisions are based on two priorities: First and foremost, the safety of our students, members and staff. Following that, we are thinking about your user experience, and working to prioritize predictability and enjoyment when visiting in-person.
- When will the Recreation & Athletics Centre (RAC) open? RAC is expected to open in late-August in anticipation of a fuller in-person experience on campus this fall. We have worked hard to rejuvenate the RAC during the closure, and are excited to begin previewing some of the changes in the coming weeks!
- When will capacities increase and reservations go away? This is the question around the world! While we don’t have an answer yet, our general approach will be to maintain reservations and limit capacity and amenities beyond the public health requirements to instill confidence and ensure a positive experience as possible, for as many students and members as possible. We don’t want you showing up only to wait in a line, unsure if you will get in. And once in, we don’t want you feeling squished by a time-limit while spending half your time waiting for the piece of equipment you want. It’s a balancing act, and we will be guided by giving as many students as possible a positive experience.
- When can I take a shower? While currently unavailable to maximize flow-through of users in our time-limited workout slots, we anticipate showers coming online at both MAC and RAC in mid-September
- When will members be welcome again? While our initial reopening is focused on students, we are hopeful we will be able to welcome our members back in late-August as the RAC comes online and capacities increase. We anticipate that at the outset, memberships may be limited to our reduced-price Morning & Weekend option only, expanding to our full hours of operation as capacities increase.
- When can I collect my locker belongings from 2020? We’ve arranged a number of opportunities since we closed in March 2020 and your last chance is here now. Learn more and book a time to collect your belongings and note that unclaimed items will be donated after July 30, 2021.
While a lot is still to be determined with respect to this fall, our ‘MOVE Everywhere’ program will continue to operate in 3 modes to keep you moving wherever you are and whatever your comfort level: At Ryerson, in your neighborhood and online.
All of our program coordinators and their student-staff leaders are busily preparing for a return to in-person activities starting in September. Great consideration is being given to risk management and activities are being selected and modified to meet the evolving public health requirements.
Reservations required: As long as capacity restrictions are in place, students and members can expect pre-registration for all activities, including those that would normally be ‘drop-in’, to ensure you are not stuck waiting and disappointed in lines.
- Fitness Centre Spaces: The MAC and RAC fitness centre spaces will be available, possibly with reduced capacity and pre-reservations still in place. When the RAC does re-open, the building may be divided into different reservable spaces including a new functional training room, cardio and strength circuit, and dedicated women's only space. Students and members would pre-reserve a slot in a specific space, which we will to ensure each provides a range of strength and cardio options. Photo and video previews of each space would be made available prior.
- Group Fitness: We’re planning for both indoor and outdoor in-person, on-campus group fitness classes in September, with indoor classes starting smaller and/or in larger spaces to maximize safety, confidence and comfort - think yoga on the Quad and spin classes spaced across a larger gymnasium. (Online programs will continue as well - see below!)
- Drop-in Sports, Intramural Sports & Recreational Clubs: Planning is underway for a return to in-person activities this September. While some sports may not be able to return to their full experience, you can anticipate regular daily and weekly opportunities to get active and make social connections similar to in past years.
- Aquatics: The pool, which was emptied in Summer 2020 in the interest of environmental sustainability, will remain closed for the time being. As the RAC reopens and showers come online, we will reopen the pool as soon as possible to lane swim and aquatic groups.
When can I visit the MAC and RAC?
Congratulations - with a membership included in each full-time undergraduate and graduate student's ancillary fees, your OneCard is your gym membership!
Great - but when can I start taking part in programs and using the facilities and services?
Each new school term we undertake a process to ensure currently enrolled students are imported into our database, which then allows you to begin accessing our spaces. We are working to have this process complete in time for the earlier-than-usual Orientation Week starting on August 23, 2021. We will share an update in this space once confirmed.
And know this, New Students: We look forward to welcoming you to the Ramily!!
Complete waiver to activate OneCard access
New this year, all students will be required to complete a participation waiver prior to their OneCard being activated to allow access to our facilities. The online process will be completed by logging in to our Recreation webportal with your my.Ryerson login and takes less than a minute to complete after reading the waiver.
More details to come in August, but please: Don't be surprised if you haven't completed your waiver and your OneCard doesn't work at the RAC and MAC turnstiles!
And please, help your friends out: Spread the word!