Skip to main content

Fees Categories

Residency / Immigration Status and School Fees

There are two different tuition fee rates for Ryerson University students:

  1. the Regular Fee Rate for students who are Canadian Citizens, Permanent Residents, or those who are specifically exempted by government regulation from the International Fee Rate; and
  2. the International Fee Rate for students on Student Visas, Visitor Visas, other Visas and students who have not provided or are unwilling to provide documentary proof of exempt status to the Enrolment Services and Student Fees office.

To be eligible for the Regular Fee Rate you must be either a Canadian citizen or a Permanent Resident of Canada (otherwise known as Landed Immigrant) effective on the dates specified by the Registrar's Office, and listed below. Students declare their citizenship status upon applying to the University and may be required to present documentation of their citizenship status on demand, at any point during their enrolment at Ryerson University.

Students who are contacted by the Registrar's Office and do not present proof of immigration status documentation as requested, or who apply to Ryerson University and declare themselves as attending university on a Student Visa or other non-exempt Visa, will be charged tuition fees at the International Fee Rates.

Deadline dates:
If your immigration status changes during the semester, you may become exempt from the International Fee Rate. The deadline dates to update your immigration status with Ryerson University and to have your fees revised to the Regular Fee Rate for the Fall semester is November 1, for the Winter semester is January 31, and for the Spring/Summer semester is June 15.

It is not possible under any circumstance to retroactively change your Fee Rate once the deadline has passed.

Immigration Categories – Regular Fee Rate

Canadian Citizen – A citizen of Canada within the meaning of the Citizenship Act

Permanent Resident – A permanent resident within the meaning of the Immigration Act 1976

  1. A person who has been granted "permanent resident" status or
  2. A person who has met "all the preliminary requirements" for permanent residency status who submits a confirmation letter from Citizenship and Immigration Canada to the Enrolment Services and Student Fees office, POD64 by the deadlines as listed above.
Other Eligible International Fee Rate Exemption Categories:
  1. A dependent* of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada
  2. A person and any dependents* who has been admitted and officially recognized as a Convention Refugee within the Immigration Act 1976 – Official document from Refugee Protection Division.
  3. A Visitor and any dependents* who is admitted to and remaining in Canada under a Work Permit. Official documentation including passport and original Work Permit form required.

    The following students and any dependents are excluded from this category:
    • A visitor who is a graduate teaching assistant;
    • An international student holding a work permit to complete his/her co-op, internship or medical residency employment;
    • An international student holding an open work permit for post-graduate work;
    • An international student whose spouse or common-law partner has received a work permit as a result of the international student holding a valid Study Permit;
    • An international student holding an "Off-Campus Work Permit".
  4. A Visitor and any dependents* who are admitted to Canada with official accreditation from the Canadian government who is in Canada to carry out official duties as a diplomatic or consular official. Official passport and original copy of diplomatic status required.
  5. A Protected Person and any dependents* who is deemed to be a protected person within the meaning of subsection 95(2) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. Official protected person status document required.

*Dependents for this purpose are defined as:

  1. a spouse;
  2. a common-law partner (An affidavit signed by both spouses, confirming that they are living together in a conjugal relationship for not less than three years, or that they are living together in a conjugal relationship and are raising any children of whom they both are the natural or adoptive parent, is required to verify their common-law status.)
  3. a dependent child (see definition below) or the dependent child of a spouse or common-law partner;
  4. a dependent child of the dependent child referred to above.

A dependent child is a child who is a biological child who has not been adopted by a person other than the spouse or common-law partner, or an adopted child; and who is in one of the following situations of dependency:

  1. under age 22 and does not have a spouse or common-law partner;
  2. enrolled continuously at a college, university or other educational institution and dependent substantially on the financial support of the parent since before age 22 or since becoming a spouse or common-law partner if that occurred before age 22; or
  3. a person with a disability who has been financially supported substantially by his or her parents, and who is unable to be self-supporting because of the disability.
Ineligible International Fee Rate Exemption Categories:
  1. Individuals who cannot provide proof of citizenship or exemption under categories listed above
  2. Refugee claimants while in the application stage and prior to the receipt of an official written response of the final decision of the refugee claim by the Immigration and Refugee Board