Skip to main content

Fees - Tax Receipts

Effective January 2019, all post-secondary institutions in Canada are required to collect students' Social Insurance Numbers (SIN), and include this information on the 2019 tuition tax receipts (T2202) by February 2020. For more information please refer to the CRA websiteNew window.

You can securely report your Social Insurance Number (SIN) online via RAMSS. You only need to provide your SIN once. Your SIN will only be used for tax purposes.

If you have not provided your SIN as part of your student record, you must submit your SIN by following the steps below:

  1. Log into RAMSS ( window
  2. Within your Student Center, locate the Academics Heading. Select the "Your SIN is required" link
  3. In the SIN box, enter your nine-digit SIN
  4. Click the "SAVE" button. Once you click this button, a confirmation will appear saying your SIN has been updated

Information on Tax Receipts:

RAMSS Support:

Tax Services for International Students - Includes information on what to do if you do not have a SIN: window

Tax receipts are available for download from your RAMSS account usually during the 3rd week in February each year for the previous calendar year (January – December).  There are two types of tax receipts available to students, the T2202 Tuition, Education & Textbook Amounts Certificate and the T4A Statement of Pension, Retirement, Annuity, and Other Income.

A T2202 is an official statement for income tax purposes of the tuition and fees paid for qualifying courses that are eligible for claim on the income tax return.

A T4A is an official statement for income tax purposes of scholarships, bursaries, awards or other income as defined by CRA that were provided by Ryerson to a student.   

For further information, please refer to Canada Revenue Agency.  

General Tax Receipt FAQs


How do I get a T2202 and/or T4A receipt(s)?
You can print your T2202 and/or T4A from RAMSS. T2202 receipts are prepared for all students who have paid more than $100 in eligible fees for courses beginning and ending in a particular calendar year. Certain administrative and ancillary fees are not eligible for tax deduction. T4A receipts are prepared for all students who received a scholarship, bursary or award in a calendar year. 


Are the T2202 and/or T4A receipt(s) sent to me?
The T2202 and/or T4A are not mailed to you. These are available online through your RAMSS account. Students do have the option of receiving a paper copy of their T4A ONLY by opting out through your RAMSS account by January 31. A paper copy will be mailed to your current address in your RAMSS account for the current and subsequent tax years. You can withdraw your election at any time in you choose to change this in the future.


What is RAMSS and how can I access it?
RAMSS is Ryerson's Administrative Management Self Service system and is your personalized access to web services. When you log in you will find information and services specific to your role at Ryerson.


How can students who do not have access to the web obtain a receipt if they need it?
Students can access their RAMSS account from any computer in the Ryerson Library or a computer lab that has a web browser. If you would like to request a paper copy, you can make this request at the RO ServiceHub (POD-150) by providing appropriate photo identification.


Do I have to submit my T2202 and/or T4A receipt(s) with my income tax submission?
Students are not required to submit a printed copy of the T2202 and/or T4A receipt(s) with their tax return, even if the T2202 credits are transferred to a parent. A printed copy is only required when requested by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) as part of a formal audit.


I printed my T2202 and/or T4A receipt(s) from RAMSS but the address on it was incorrect. Do I need a new one?
You can use your tax receipt(s) even if the address is incorrect. Remember that it is not necessary for students to submit the T2202 form with the tax return, but they must produce it if requested by Revenue Canada. We strongly suggest that you keep your address updated on RAMSS.


I printed my T2202 and/or T4A receipt(s) from RAMSS but the amount on it was incorrect. What do I need to do to get a new one?
If you feel that the information on your tax receipts is incorrect, please review all of these FAQ's to ensure that you understand the period they are issued for and the amounts that are included and excluded. If after reviewing this information you feel that your receipt(s) are incorrect, please contact the RO ServiceHub at 416-979-5036 or in person at POD-150.


Can you help me with some questions about my tax return?
Unfortunately we cannot. In-depth questions regarding the use of the tax receipts in the tax preparation process should be directed to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). Tax guides are available from any CRA office or Canada Post Office. CRA also publishes a booklet called "Students & Income Tax" - Government form P105 (E)New window.


I want to print my T2202 and/or T4A tax form a second time. Can I do this?
Yes, you can print your tax receipts as many times as you like. Keep in mind that the T2202 does not get submitted with a student's tax return but is required when transferring amounts to someone else as permitted by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA)New window or if you are being audited.


Can my parents, siblings, or anyone obtain information that is on my record at Ryerson?
No, not even your parents can obtain confidential information without your written consent. Ryerson gathers and maintains information used for purposes of admission, registration and other fundamental activities related to being a member of the university community and to attending a public post-secondary institution in Ontario. The policy regarding the release of information about students is intended to protect the individual student's right to privacy and the confidentiality of his or her record. Personal Information Protection Guidelines and the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA) govern access to confidential information at Ryerson.

T2202 Tax Receipt FAQs


What courses are considered qualifying for a T2202?

  • Certificate and Degree/Diploma credit course:
    Students will receive a T2202 and may claim the eligible tuition fees amount and the number of months.
  • Degree/Diploma credit course:
    Students will receive a T2202 and may claim the eligible tuition fees amount and the number of months.
  • Certificate Credit course:
    Students will receive a T2202 and may claim the eligible tuition fees but the number of months are not eligible for claim as it is not a credit course that can be applied towards a post secondary degree or diploma.
  • Course series course:
    These courses are not eligible for a T2202.
    Examples are:  general interest courses, workshops, seminars.


Why doesn't my T2202 match the amounts I paid for my course/program?
The total amount of tuition fees paid may not necessarily correspond to your T2202 because not all tuition and related fees are tax deductible.


What tuition fees are not eligible for my T2202?
Fees that are not eligible include: RSU, CESAR, Parking, Residence and Meal Plans, RSU Health & Dental, program and select ancillary fees, material fees, CO-OP, goods of lasting value that you keep (such as a computer, uniform or tools) and certain other administrative fees.


Why doesn't my T2202 include the amount I paid for the academic year, Fall and Winter semesters?
The T2202 will only include eligible courses taken during the applicable tax year (January to December) and not the academic year.


My parents will be claiming my tuition fees and require that my T2202 be issued to them directly. Can Ryerson do this for me?
Ryerson is required to make the T2202 available to the student directly. Students must use the T2202 on their own return until the Federal Tax payable is reduced to zero. At this point the student may transfer the balance of the credit to their parent using the information on the T2202 related to the transferring of the unused credit as per the Income Tax Act.


What is the monthly credit for attendance in column B/C of the T2202 receipt used for and am I eligible to make this claim?
In addition to claiming eligible tuition and related fees, students are eligible to claim amounts based on the number of months respective to their status as part-time or full-time. The university must first and foremost recognize the student's academic career as part-time or full-time before they are assessed appropriately.


If I add the tuition for my Ryerson course together with that of another institution, I would meet the $100 minimum. Why won't you give me a T2202?
As per the Income Tax Act, students may not combine receipts from institutions to meet the minimum eligible fee.


My child attended a summer camp program last summer and I did not receive a T2202 receipt for the fees I paid. May I get one?
Parents may choose to claim Sports/Summer camps as day care, and should use the receipt(s) provided at the time of registration for their child (children). Summer camps do not qualify as tuition and a T2202 receipt will not be produced for them.

T4A Tax Receipt FAQs


My parent/guardian works at Ryerson and I had a tuition waiver/rebate for my courses, why didn’t they receive a T4A receipt?
The tuition waiver/rebate program is offered to employees of Ryerson, however the T4A is issued in the name of the student.


I received an OSAP Student Loan, is that included on my T4A?
No. Money received through OSAP and the National Student Loan Service Centre will not appear on a student’s T4A.  Only funding which has been provided by Ryerson to the student will be included. 


Why doesn’t my T4A receipt include the scholarship I received to cover the tuition for my academic year – Fall and Winter Semesters?
The T4A is based on the tax year (January to December) and not the school year.


I am a work study student at Ryerson and need my T4, is this the same as a T4A?
No. Your T4 Statement of Remuneration Paid is a record of your employment income and the amount of tax which was deducted.  Employees who consented to receive this electronically will be able to download a copy of their T4A receipt from eHR during the 3rd week of February.  If consent was not provided, these are mailed to the address listed in their eHR account.  More information can be found on the Human Resources website.