Skip to main content

Term Start-Up: Fall 2020

A student's hands rest on her laptop next to her water bottle and cell phone.

Set yourself up for success with help from the RO!

Welcome to all new and returning students! With the start of the fall semester quickly approaching, there's a lot you need to know – from enrolment dates to fee deadlines and how to apply to graduate, to how to access academic advising and more.

We want to be sure you've got all the information you need for a smooth start, so our Fall Term Start-Up page below has been created with your success in mind.

The Office of the Registrar (RO) is always here to help and we wish you all the best for a great academic year.

Charmaine K. Hack, University Registrar
Office of the Registrar (RO)

Get to Know the Office of the Vice-Provost, Students (OVPS)

The Office of the Vice-Provost, Students (OVPS) enables greater student engagement and success through exceptional experiences. With a focus on responsiveness and empathy, the OVPS is made up of dedicated employees who work in the Office of the Registrar, Undergraduate Admissions & Recruitment, Athletics & Recreation, Student Affairs, Student Wellbeing and International Enrolment.

This fall is going to be different at Ryerson, but the OVPS is here for you. If you're looking for academic help, engagement opportunities or resources to maintain your mental and emotional wellbeing, there are tremendous supports in place for new and returning students. To help you navigate the academic year ahead, we encourage you to visit RU4U - a hub of important information designed to help you succeed in this virtual post-secondary education environment.

First Day of Classes

Classes for undergraduate programs officially begin on Tuesday, September 8, 2020. Law School students commence classes on Wednesday, September 2, 2020.

Your ServiceHub

We're here to assist you through telephone and email, as well as our many online services. Join us for our One Stop Solutions webinar series (register via the ServiceHub contact page).

Student Guides and Calendars

The Undergraduate Student Guide is a user-friendly companion to the Undergraduate Calendar and provides the essential information you need to know as an undergraduate student. The Graduate Student Guide is the official companion to the Graduate Academic Calendar and summarizes key policies, fees, procedures and services for graduate students. Faculty of Law students should check the Student section of the Law school website for the 2020-21 Student Guide Book.

Significant Dates

Undergraduate students should keep an eye on Significant Dates, including deadlines for enrolling in courses and for dropping courses without academic or financial penalty, tuition deadlines, applying to graduate and more. If you are enrolling in courses offered by The G. Raymond Chang School of Continuing Education, note that there are different deadlines, see the Chang School's Important DatesNew window page for complete details. Graduate students should check the Grad Studies website to confirm all Graduate Significant Dates and Law students should check the Law School website for all Faculty of Law Significant Dates.

Final Course Drop Date Amended

For fall 2020, the deadline to drop a course without academic penalty has been extended to Monday, December 7, 2020 for all undergraduate, graduate and Chang School courses.



Your class schedule will be available in your Student Center in your RAMSS account by the end of the day on Wednesday, August 5, 2020. Keep in mind that if you are a returning student and have any outstanding holds that block enrolment, such as a Collections Hold, you may not receive a schedule and you will need to select your courses during your enrolment period. If there is a Collections Hold (COL) on your account that is attributable to COVID-19 and it is blocking your ability to enrol in courses, you may request to have the hold temporarily lifted. You will need to submit your request using the Fee Hold Release Request FormNew window.

Be sure to review your schedule and make all necessary changes between your assigned enrolment date and Friday, September 18, 2020 (full refund deadline date). OSAP recipients should add winter course intentions between August 24, 2020 and September 18, 2020, to ensure that funding is calculated for the full academic year.

Visit the Enrolment Support page for additional information.


Graduate students should contact the Graduate Program Administrator with regard to course enrolment dates and procedures.

Course Enrolment


Visit Enrolment Support for details on course planning and enrolment.

Your enrolment appointment date determines when you will first be able to make changes to your schedule. You can find your assigned enrolment appointment date in the Enrolment Dates section in your Student Center on RAMSS. All changes are subject to available class space and applicable course requisites.

Priority enrolment appointments start on Tuesday, August 11, and open enrolment for all students begins on Monday, August 24. The specific enrolment appointments for each year of study are:

  • Tuesday, August 11: 1st year
  • Thursday, August 13: 4th year
  • Monday, August 17: 3rd year
  • Monday, August 17: part-time students (excluding part-time Business Management and IT Management students)
  • Wednesday, August 19: 2nd year

If you are a returning student who did not participate in course intentions in March or May 2020, you will not have a designated enrolment appointment date. You can begin making changes to your schedule during the Open Enrolment period starting Monday, August 24, 2020.

Winter 2021 Term Course Intentions

If you are a returning student you can adjust your winter 2021 term course intentions between Monday, August 24 and Friday, September 18. If you have applied for OSAP, it’s important that your course load for the fall and winter terms match your course load on your OSAP application. If you are a new student admitted to the first year of a full time program, your course intentions for your required winter term courses will be added for you but you will need to add the elective courses you plan to take in the winter. Information about what course intentions are, why they are important and how to do your course intentions is available at the link noted above.

How to Enrol in Courses - Undergraduate Students

The Search by My Classes Offered and the Visual Schedule Builder (VSB) are enrolment features available to undergraduate students in RAMSS to help you build your perfect schedule. Using these features together will allow you to narrow your course search to classes that apply to your program and are offered this term, as well as provide a visual and intuitive way to build a schedule that suits your needs. The VSB allows you to ‘pin’ classes with preferred times, block time slots to accommodate part-time jobs and other personal commitments, search for available courses, drag and drop courses, and generate all the possible schedules based on your choices. From there you can push your entire schedule to enrol in one easy step.

Academic Advising

Academic advising is available to you through your Faculty and program department. Your academic advisor can support you in being successful, and advise you on course selection, degree requirements, curriculum, academic regulations, appeals, academic performance, and referrals to other campus supports. First-year students are usually contacted by their Faculties/programs in early August with details about course enrolment and program orientation. Visit Academic Program Administration Contacts to find your advisor.

Awards & Scholarships

AwardsSpringNew window provides undergraduate, graduate, law and continuing education students with access to more than 1,300 awards, scholarships and bursaries. As of August 17, you can complete one application to be considered for more than 1,300 awards, scholarships and bursaries. Learn more on the Scholarships and Awards website. Graduate students should visit Financing Your Studies to learn more about graduate scholarships and funding.

If you are a recipient of the Guaranteed and Renewable Entrance Scholarship, the first instalment of funds will be credited to your student account in late August for the fall term. The second half will be credited in early January 2021 for the winter term. Visit Fall 2020 Entrance Scholarships FAQs for more information.

Tuition Fee Payments

You can pay your tuition and fees through online banking from a Canadian bank account. Simply log in to your bank account and add “Ryerson University” or "Ryerson University – Tuition and Res Fees" as a payee, and use your nine-digit Ryerson Student Number as your account number. Visit How to Pay Your Fees for more information, including how to submit payments from outside of Canada.

You can confirm your fee balance on your Student Center in RAMSS once you have enrolled in courses. Note that if you are adding and dropping courses, your fee balance may change. The fall term fees are due on Friday, September 18, 2020.

Financial Assistance

If you need financial assistance to supplement your educational costs, we can help! If you are an Ontario resident and Canadian citizen, Permanent Resident, or Protected Person, you can apply for the Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP). OSAP provides loans and grants to help you attend university. Visit the OSAP websiteNew window to learn more, apply, and see if you’re eligible. You can also visit Ryerson Financial Assistance for more information about OSAP, as well as financial assistance for out-of-province and international students. In order to receive your government funding faster, please remember to complete your course intentions/enrolment for both the fall and winter semesters. Failure to complete your intentions/enrolment may lead to delays to – or decreases in – your funding.

Graduating This Fall?

If you're almost at the end of your journey at Ryerson, don’t forget to apply to graduate for fall 2020 convocation through your RAMSS account (with late fee) until Saturday, August 15, 2020. Please visit Applying to Graduate for more information.

Digital Transcripts - New

Effective June 2020, official Ryerson transcripts are issued in a digitized format and can be shared with employers, post-secondary institutions and other recipients as authorized by you through Digitary, a trusted international credential platform. Transcripts shared through the Digitary platform are official, secure and verifiable by the recipient. You can order transcripts through RAMSS self-service.

Visit Official Transcripts for detailed information.

Proof of Enrolment for RESP’s and Other Purposes

Proof of Enrolment letters confirm your enrolment at Ryerson, and can be used to access your RESP (Registered Education Savings Plan) funds, and for other purposes. Letters can be requested online through RAMSS; we recommend that you request your letter after completing your course enrolments. Completed letters will be emailed to you, which you can then forward onto the required recipients. We don’t complete individual RESP company forms.

If you have a Service Canada Declaration of Attendance at School or University form for a Canada Pension Plan (CPP) child’s benefit, you can mail your completed form to the ServiceHub. After the first day of class, your enrolments will be confirmed, and your form will be mailed to Service Canada on your behalf.


  • International students: If you require an enrolment letter to support your administrative needs - including immigration, please contact International Student Support at for assistance. More information regarding Status Letters for international students can be found on the ISS website.  
  • Graduate Students: Contact your Graduate Program Administrator with regard to third-party Proof of Enrolment letters.

We Have the Answers to Your Questions!

1. I'm a new student - how can I prepare ahead of time?
Visit New Students to learn about the steps that you need to take to get ready for the start of class. Visit RU4U for information about Get Ryerson Ready - a series of events, workshops and other experiences to help you prepare for your first semester at Ryerson, as well as information about Orientation Week activities and events.

2. How do I register for accommodations to support my disability-related academic needs?
If you live with a documented permanent or temporary disability, ensure you get the necessary academic accommodation support you need to participate fully in your studies by registering with Academic Accommodation Support (AAS).

3. What technical requirements do I need to access Ryerson's online learning resources?
Visit the Minimum Technology Requirements for Remote Learning page for details on this important topic.  

4. How do I apply for Transfer Credits?
Apply as soon as possible! The final date to apply for transfer credits with a complete application for the start of the fall term is Tuesday, August 4, 2020. Although applications will be accepted after this date the results may not be available before the fall term begins.

5. How do I confirm my enrolment for my RESP or my CPP student benefit?
To confirm your enrolment with your Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP) company, request a Proof of Enrolment Letter online through RAMSS. This official letter will verify your program and enrolment status, and will be accepted by your financial institution as confirmation of your enrolment. Note, we do not complete confirmation of enrolment forms provided by RESP companies.

Graduate Student confirmations should be directed to the Graduate Program Administrator.

Updated on September 3, 2020: CPP Declaration of Attendance at School or University forms are normally confirmed and signed at the ServiceHub. However, due to the Covid-19 pandemic, Service CanadaNew window will accept the Proof of Enrolment letter in lieu of the form. See Letters and Verification Requests for details.

Note: For your enrolment to be considered full-time at Ryerson, you must be enrolled in four or more billing units (i.e. typically four or more courses) each term. See "How do I confirm my enrolment status as full-time or part-time?" on AskRyersonNew window for more information.

6. What services are provided by the Ryerson University Library?
The Ryerson Library has expanded access to ebooks, ejournals, streaming content and data sets, along with customized online course readings and new document delivery services. Reference and research help is all available virtually, as are digital and information literacy instruction sessions and workshops.

This fall, first-year students can connect with their subject-specific librarian for support, and will have online access to key academic library services and experiential learning opportunities. 

The Library is also working to ensure that students who need access to academic learning spaces and services on site, can do so in a safe and convenient way. In a phased approach, the Library is implementing an online booking system for available study space seating, including in the Besse Learning Commons and Library lab spaces.

For more information, please visit Library resources and services for studentsNew window and Library workshopsNew window. You can follow the Library on Instagram:@ryersonulibraryNew window, or Twitter: @ryersonlibraryNew window

7. How do I get my student card?
Your Student OneCard is one of the most important tools you’ll need while at Ryerson. All new undergraduate students must apply for their OneCard online as the OneCard Office will be unable to process in-person applications during the fall 2020 semester. Returning students are not required to reapply for their OneCard.

8. Where can I buy my textbooks and computer supplies?
All textbooks and course materials for fall 2020 classes must be ordered online via the Ryerson University Campus StoreNew window as the physical store remains temporarily closed due to COVID-19. In addition, log in to your my.ryerson.caNew window portal to take advantage of special discounts for Apple and Dell products.

9. Who do I contact if I have more questions?
Connect with the ServiceHub for questions about our online services, Chang School course enrolment, fees, financial assistance, enrolment verification and more. For questions about course selection and planning, undergraduate students can connect with their undergraduate program department and graduate students can connect with their Graduate Program Administrator.

10. Where can I go to find out more about Ryerson's campus facilities and Toronto?
Current students can direct their questions through our ServiceHub TwitterNew window account. For all things campus life, check out RU Student Life's TwitterNew window, FacebookNew window, InstagramNew window and BlogNew window. For official announcements, you can always check out Ryerson's main InstagramNew window, RU TwitterNew window and RU FacebookNew window.


Office of the Registrar
Ryerson University