- Take the grade points for each grade received at Ryerson (except for first attempts at courses you have repeated) and multiply each by its course weight (eg. a "C" in a course with a weight of one is 2.00, a "C" in a course with a weight of two is 4.00 - see the table below) and add the products.
- Add together the course weight for each of the courses taken, except for first attempts of courses you have repeated.
- Divide the total grade points by the total course weights and that is your grade point average.
|Course||Course Weight||My Grade||Grade Points||Grade Points x Weight||CGPA|
21.67 ÷ 7.00 = 3.10
- Courses completed prior to formal program admission will not be included in the calculation of cumulative grade point averages.
- For purposes of calculating grade point averages, courses of one term and two terms in duration will be given weights of 1 and 2 respectively, with provision for variation in this norm under exceptional circumstances.
- The grade point average is calculated as the sum of the products of course weights and earned grade points, divided by the sum of the course weights, and rounded to the second decimal place.
- The following course performance designations are not included in calculating the grade point average: AEG, AUD, CNC, CHG, CRT, CRD, CRV, DEF, EXN, INC, INP, GNR, NCR, NSC and PSD.
- The designation F-S is included in the grade point average at zero grade points (like an F grade) as an interim failure until a final grade is assigned.
- The designation FNA is included in the grade point average at zero grade points and counts as a failure when academic standings are assigned.
- The grade earned for a repeated course is used to replace the previous grade in calculating subsequent grade point averages even if the later grade is lower, however both attempts will be recorded on the transcript. If at least one of the course attempts results in a passing grade, the course will count towards graduation requirements irrespective of the sequence of grades earned. No courses can be repeated more than twice.
- An initial academic standing is not calculated until the student has received three or more course grades.
- The cumulative grade point average is calculated at the end of each academic term for which additional course grades have been recorded on the student's academic record. It is calculated using Ryerson course grades in the program in which the student is registered.