You are now in the main content area

Managing Your Grant

When looking for help managing your grant, first contact the Research Accounts Support Officer in your faculty, or the appropriate grant officer in the OVPRI, opens in new window.

While the OVPRI assumes the role of administrative facilitator and liaison with the sponsor, the Principal Investigator (PI) is accountable to the university and the research sponsor for the completion of the project.  

The OVPRI assists in co-ordinating the review process for projects that require ethical protocols. In the event that a protocol is required, funds may not be released until the protocol has received approval. View Ethics, opens in new window for more information. Moreover, the OVPRI provides support in knowledge mobilization, commercialization and Intellectual Property-related processes. View Knowledge Mobilization, opens in new window and Commercialization., opens in new window

Frequently Asked Questions

If you cannot find an answer to your question here regarding the management of your grant, please do not hesitate to contact the OVPRI, opens in new window. We are here to help.

The OVPRI will establish an account number once a fully executed award document has been received. In some cases, an account number can be activated in advance upon the approval of the Department Chair and/or Dean, who must guarantee the expenditures. Read more on how to PDF fileset up and manage your research account and finance records, opens in new window.

To help determine whether this is possible, contact the OVPRI staff person, opens in new window responsible for the appropriate federal agency.

This may or may not be possible based on the type of grant. Please contact a Grants/Contracts Officer, opens in new window at OVPRI for assistance.

Contact a Grants/Contracts Officer, opens in new window in the OVPRI as soon as an offer of employment has been accepted. Each grant and contract has different requirements for assignment. CIHR, external link, opens in new window, SSHRC, external link, opens in new window and NSERC, external link, opens in new window grants can be transferred easily from one Canadian university to another. The terms of other grants and contracts vary considerably and may require Ryerson to negotiate a termination agreement with the sponsor.

The gift must be processed through your department/faculty. Visit Giving to Ryerson, opens in new window to learn about this process.

Additional Information

Additional resources for managing your grant can be found on the Forms and Quick Links, opens in new window page, including information on: Grant Guidelines, Research Accounting, Budgets and Travel.