Teaching + Learning for the New Economy
A stronger connection between teaching and research are central to the long-term success of students and universities. We are advancing the development of a meaningful and practical body of knowledge about student learning and teaching effectiveness in higher education, particularly in such areas as lifelong learning and strategic retraining.
Ryerson’s hands-on learning incorporates research and collaboration with external partners into the educational experience. Our internationally renowned Zone Model is leading the development and implementation of best practices for incubating start-ups, enterprises led by students and faculty, and social innovation initiatives. We also encourage experiential learning abroad through a range of funding programs, internships, and placements.
Areas of SRC activity in Teaching & Learning for the New Economy include:
- Promoting diversity and inclusion both locally and internationally through educational innovation and interdisciplinary knowledge and practice across sectors.
- Increasing teachers' capacity to provide ﬂexible education to students by developing new learning technologies that better connect students to both teachers and peers.
- Mainstreaming innovation across the University through the innovative zone learning model of education, providing students with access to mentors, resources, space, and technology in order to create new start-up companies in high-growth industry sectors.
- Designing new programs that incorporate experiential learning, enabling students to apply theory learned in the classroom to entrepreneurial pursuits or industry placements.
Related Research and Innovation Centres, Institutes and Zones
- Centre for Communicating Knowledge (CCK), opens in new window
- Centre for Research in Critical Social Inquiry and Action (RCSIA), external link, opens in new window
- Institute for the Study of Corporate Social Responsibility, opens in new window
- Live Actor Simulation (formerly the Interpersonal Skills Teaching Centre), opens in new window
- Ryerson Early Learning Centre, opens in new window
- Ryerson Urban Water, opens in new window