You are now in the main content area

Conferences & Research

Many Ryerson students work on research projects at other institutions abroad and attend international conferences. These expand students’ perspectives on their academic fields and provide unparalleled opportunities for personal growth, networking and the development of intercultural skills.


Presenting at and attending international conferences adds value to your academic studies through exposure to new ideas and perspectives, and it helps build Ryerson’s reputation for research excellence. While finding and organizing attendance to conferences is the responsibility of the student, Ryerson International offers the International Conference and Research Support Fund (ICRSF). This can help ease the financial strain of attending an international conference. See funding for more information.


There are various opportunities for Ryerson students (both graduate and undergraduate) wanting to undertake research at institutions abroad. If you find a research placement on your own accord, then you should receive a “letter of invitation” from the host institution indicating the terms of your research visit. A letter of invitation is an important document that supports a student’s visa application to the host country (if required).

Ryerson students undertaking research abroad have access to various funding opportunities

Recommended Research Opportunities

  • external,MITACS Globalink Awards offers graduate students the opportunity to participate in 12- to 24-week research projects with international academic or industry partners in a range of countries. For more information, visit the external,Globalink website. If you are interested in applying, contact Lisa Leung at
  • external,Ontario Universities International (OUI) also offers summer research opportunities in India, China, France and Germany. French and German research programs are limited to students in science, engineering and health science disciplines. All OUI participants who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents receive funding to participate in their programs. For more information on how to apply visit our Summer Programs page.
  • external,RISE Germany offers undergraduate students the opportunity to complete a summer research internship at top German universities and research institutions.  A stipend for living expenses is provided.

For more information regarding support and resources at Ryerson visit the Student Research page on the Office of the Vice-President for Research & Innovation's website.