You are now in the main content area

Risk Management Abroad

Mandatory Pre-Departure Steps

Ryerson University requires that all students participating in a Ryerson affiliated international activity complete the following mandatory international travel risk management steps. Ryerson University manages international travel risk in partnership with International SOS.

How can International SOS help?

  • International SOS (ISOS) provides you and your family with assurance that you will be assisted during emergency situations that may arise during travel abroad. One phone call connects you to the ISOS network of multilingual specialists for immediate help (24/7). ISOS services are designed to help you with medical, personal, travel, security and legal problems abroad.
  • For more information see: Our Partner - International SOS

How to register? (Must complete all five steps):

  1. Register a New User/Login using your email address at International SOS MyTrips, external link, opens in new window
  2. Add a “New Trip”. Must include both:
    1. Accommodations Information (For entire length of activity abroad).
    2. Flights (Return & Departure): To add flight Information you can enter it manually or forward your flight confirmation email (from your account) to:
  3. Read carefully through the “Pre-trip Advisory” email that is sent from ISOS within 24 hours of successfully adding a “New Trip”. This email contains important security and medical information relevant to your travel.
  4. Submit a “Travel Request Form” online form. The link for this form is provided in the “Pre-trip Advisory” email.
  5. Download your PDF fileInternational SOS Membership Card to keep with you at all times while traveling abroad. In the event of an emergency, call one of the phone numbers listed on the card or call via the Assistance App. 
  6. (OPTIONAL) We highly encourage you to download the International SOS Assistance App, external link, opens in new window for access to one-click dialling to the closest International SOS Assistance Centre, for immediate help while abroad. Also, provides travel alerts/notifications and country specific medical and security information.

Please email if you have any questions or concerns with registering for ISOS.

All students must sign a PDF fileliability waiver to confirm their awareness of the potential risks and accept them.  This document should be kept on file in your home academic department.

Please DO NOT drop the liability waiver off at Ryerson International.

Students are required to purchase Travel medical emergency insurance throughout the duration of their international activity abroad. This insurance is intended to protect you against unforeseen medical emergencies and expenses. Unexpected high medical expenses without adequate insurance can add considerable financial and emotional stress while traveling abroad. Read through our FAQ’s  below to understand our coverage requirements, where to purchase, etc.

Important: Don’t forget to bring a copy of your insurance Information/card with you while you are travelling. We recommend that you leave a copy of the information with a friend or relative at home.


What are the minimum requirements?
Students are required to obtain a Travel Medical Emergency Insurance that covers: Medical emergency services (i.e Hospitalization, etc), medical evacuation, and repatriation. You can compare your insurance policy to RSU’s Travel Insurance, external link, opens in new window coverage which serves as a minimum standard. Beyond this minimum coverage it is every student’s responsibility to consulate with a doctor to understand their own medical needs and if any additional coverage is needed. 

Where can I purchase travel medical emergency insurance?
Prior to purchasing travel medical emergency insurance coverage, first check to see if you are already covered through the RSU’s Travel Insurance Plan, external link, opens in new window. You can contact RSU Assistance, external link, opens in new window to see if you are covered. Please note that the RSU Travel Insurance Plan only covers the first 60 days of your trip abroad. Therefore, if you are traveling abroad for longer than 60 days you will need to obtain an additional insurance to cover the remainder of your trip. To download your RSU Travel Insurance card, go to, external link, opens in new window.     

If you are not covered under the RSU Travel Insurance Plan, you can purchase travel insurance through your employer’s insurance, travel agent, credit card company, student travel insurance companies, etc. Regardless of how you obtain travel medical emergency insurance, it is very important that you understand the eligibility requirements, terms and conditions, limitations, restrictions and exclusions of the policy. Please note: If you are traveling to a high risk destination your coverage may be affected, double check with your insurance provider that you will be covered in that location.

How does my travel medical emergency insurance coverage work abroad?
Prior to traveling abroad, you should check with your insurance provider to understand your coverage details, where you can access medical care and how their reimbursement/claims process works. This will vary greatly by insurance policy and you do not want to wait until the moment you need it abroad to try and figure out how it works. For example, some insurance companies require that you call them prior to receiving any medical care. This is important to understand as they may not reimburse you unless you called them first. Some companies only have specific health providers that they have approved under their coverage. Some companies will pay your medical bills up-front while others will require you to pay out of pocket and be reimbursed later.

These regularly-scheduled, roughly 90min sessions cover travel preparation, travel safety and security and cultural acclimatization. Visit our events page for registration information on upcoming sessions. Attendance at a pre-departure session is not required for travel to the United States.

Please note: Students participating in an exchange program will be informed of the date for their mandatory full-day pre-departure session by email from their exchange coordinator.

Students undertaking travel to High or Extreme risk destinations are asked to complete a Travel Risk Management Plan – a working document that details concrete actions undertaken to minimize travel and medical risks – which must be approved by a Dean (HIGH risk) or Provost (EXTREME risk) before the activity can move forward.

How do I know if my destination is High or Extreme risk?
Through International SOS’s Members Portal, external link, opens in new window you can search risk assessments by country. Simply use the search bar at the top of the page to type in your destination and click “search”. You will then be taken to your host country’s profile page. At the top you will see a box labeled “Risk Ratings” which will include a medical and travel risk rating. If either rating is high or extreme you will need to complete the Travel Risk Management Plan.  

When do I submit a Travel Risk Management Plan?
Students should consult with Ryerson International well in advance of their intended departure date in order to start this process as early as possible. It is recommended that students not finalize bookings until formal approval is received. The Travel Risk Management Plan should be submitted at least 6 weeks prior to the intended departure date as the review and approval process between Ryerson International, the appropriate Dean (or Provost), and student traveller can take time to finalize. 

How do I complete a Travel Risk Management Plan?
Please review/complete the online application guidelines and form: Travel Risk Management Plan Form, external link, opens in new window

Those leading a group of students abroad are asked to complete the International Group Trip Registration form, external link.