International Visiting Researchers
Updated March 1, 2021
Notice for all upcoming travel:
The safety of Ryerson community members and our visitors is of utmost importance. Ryerson has suspended all future incoming and outgoing short-term programming for international visiting students until August 31st, 2021, including international visiting research students.
*Please note that this message is NOT in refernece to full degree international students. For full degree international students, please see International Student Support.
Research at Ryerson is practical and aspirational. Our researchers shape their questions around real-world problems, and often work together across disciplinary boundaries to find innovative solutions. To learn more about research at Ryerson, please visit the Research and Innovation site.
Process for Visiting Researchers
All visiting researchers must be invited by a faculty host at Ryerson University. Interested scholars/professors must be in contact with a Ryerson faculty host directly in order to coordinate the details of their potential visit.
If you are in discussions with a faculty host about a potential visit, you will need to ensure that you have reviewed the information found on the Foreign Researchers at Ryerson University section of this site to determine your eligibility.
Visiting scholar/professor applicants must submit a current CV, including a list of publications, letter of support from their home institution, including proof of their academic appointment, along with a description of their SRC plans to their potential Ryerson faculty host.
For planning purposes, it will be important for you to ensure that you have:
- reviewed the reasons for inadmissibility for entry into Canada, external link, opens in new window and ensure that you do not foresee any reasons why you would be deemed inadmissible based on the information available there
- looked into whether you will require a temporary resident visa, external link, opens in new window depending on your country of citizenship. Individuals from visa exempt countries may travel with their electronic travel authorization (eTA), external link, opens in new window and may apply for a visitor record and a work permit, external link, opens in new window upon arrival at a Canadian port of entry
- looked into whether you will require biometrics, external link, opens in new window
- looked into whether you will require a medical exam for a visa, external link, opens in new window and/or a medical exam for a work permit, external link, opens in new window
- reviewed processing times, external link, opens in new window for work permits and visas based on your country of citizenship
Once the details of the visit have been determined, your faculty host will need to seek approvals within the University. Once the approvals have been obtained, you will be prompted by your faculty host to complete a Visiting Researcher Application Form (linked below). The information provided in the questionnaire will be used to further assess eligibility and prepare supporting documentation for entry into Canada.
When completing the application form, you will be asked to upload the following documents:
- Valid passport
- Letter of approval from home institution, confirming your status with the home institution
- Award documents, if coming under the Research Award Recipient category
Note: The Visiting Researcher Application Form is a google document that cannot be saved as a partially completed document. You are advised to first review the form and ensure that you have all of the required information before you begin completing it.
Important: Please ensure that you complete all relevant information. Incomplete information may result in delays in processing the request in a timely manner.
Please note, your invitation to Ryerson University is dependent on your eligibility to enter Canada, in accordance with relevant immigration regulations.
Upon arrival at a port of entry in Canada, you must ensure that the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) Officer has provided you with the appropriate status documentation. Normally, this will be a work permit. If you are coming under a work permit exemption category such as the 120 day researcher category, you must verbally request the CBSA Officer to provide you with a visitor record, external link, opens in new window before leaving the port of entry.
Ryerson International/Human Resources will provide visiting researchers with a PDF fileForeign Researcher Pre-Arrival Manual to assist them in making arrangements prior to their arrival in Toronto. Ryerson International will also arrange orientation sessions for international visiting research students and for international visiting scholars/professors. A date and time for the session will be provided upon arrival.
Should you have any questions about the above, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.