Ryerson School of Interior Design strongly recommends that student purchase laptop computers rather than desktop computers so that they may be used and easily transported between home residence, RSID studios, and in-class learning environments. Because several required software programs are not available on MacOS, it is recommended that students purchase computers with a Microsoft Windows operating system. If students chose to purchase Apple Macintosh computers running MacOS they will need to additionally purchase and install Windows Bootcamp.
- Display: 15” display is recommended. A screen smaller than 15” will be underpowered and displays larger than 15” become bulky and difficult to transport. Students may consider getting an external 22” or 24” external monitor for their at home permanent desk space.
- Processor/CPU: Intel Core i7 ( 9MB Cache, up to 4.1 GHz, 6 Cores)
- Hard drive: 512GB Solid State Drive
- Memory/RAM: 16GB
- Graphics Card for PC: NVIDIA or AMD with 4GB discrete memory
- Graphics Card for Apple Macintosh: Radeon with 4GB discrete memory
- 3 Year Onsite/In-Home Service warranty
It is expected that students maintain and install software on their laptops. If you need assistance with your laptop, consider using services such as Geek Squad at Best Buy.