Creative Practice Hours
To graduate from any of the RTA School of Media Undergraduate Programs, each student must have completed a minimum of 60 hours of Creative Practice volunteer work in a qualifying RTA institution or project. This can be done at any time over the four years of the program.
Please see the list on this page of media production and making opportunities that are available at RTA School of Media which are eligible/pre-approved.
- Any work done must be approved by the activity’s authorizing faculty supervisor or their designate. In the case of student driven projects (practicum or grad project) the hours must be approved by the faculty supervisor.
- If a student wishes to propose an alternative project not listed below, such alternative must be pre-approved by the program director/coordinator or the chair in advance of the work being started.
- None of the time can be work for hire (paid) or part of a requirement for a credited course.
It is the responsibility of the student to keep track of these hours, and to be prepared to provide the original signed volunteer hour forms to the RTA Office. The student must retain copies of signed forms.
Please note: Media Production students are required to complete at least 50% of their Creative Practice Hours through internal involvement here in RTA. This may include supporting an upper year's practicum project, assisting on a peer's project, volunteering with the RTA School of Media in specific capacities, and working on various RTA opportunities and initiatives such as Spirit Live, Rams Live or Global Campus Studios (so long as it's not for course credit). If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Finlay Braithwaite, the Media Production Administrative Program Coordinator.
• Spirit Live
• RUTV work
• RTA Public Service
• Rams Live
• Global Campus Studios (not for course credit)
• TARAs (not for course credit)
• Production support for practicum projects
• Support for graduate productions
• Ryerson Athletics production support volunteer work
• Makerspace support
• META (not for course credit)
• CJRU Radio
• Other non-RTA volunteer production-related work as approved by program director/coordinator or chair.