Academic Standards Committee (ASC)
Terms of Reference
- Provides advice to Senate with respect to the quality of both operating and proposed undergraduate programs (degree, diploma, certificate, and special-purpose programs), including, but not necessarily restricted to:
- undertaking periodic program reviews;
- assessing new undergraduate program proposals;
- assessing curriculum modification proposals;
- reviewing and formulating policies governing undergraduate curriculum structure; and,
- such other matters as referred to it by Senate or the Provost and Vice- President, Academic.
Senate shall consider, each year, a list of members as detailed below. Senate may approve or reject the list in its entirety, but may not alter the list.
- The Vice-Provost, Academic, who shall serve as Chair;
- The Director, Curriculum Quality Assurance (non-voting), who shall serve as Vice-Chair;
- The Vice-President, Equity & Community Inclusion or designate;
- The Registrar;
- Two faculty members from each of the Faculties (Arts, Community Services, Communication & Design, Engineering & Architectural Science, Science, and the Ted Rogers School of Management), and one from the Faculty of Law; faculty members are appointed by the Deans of their respective Faculties for a 2-year term;
- Two representatives from The G. Raymond Chang School of Continuing Education appointed by the Dean of the Chang School for a 2-year term;
- One Librarian, appointed by the VPA upon recommendation of the Chief Librarian, for a 2-year term;
- Two students, appointed for a one-year term by the VPA, who shall solicit nominations from the Associate Deans responsible for undergraduate studies;
- The Secretary of Senate (non-voting).
The ASC reports directly to Senate regarding recommendations about undergraduate curriculum (e.g., new programs, program reviews, program changes), and about the work of its subcommittees, if any. It directs to the AGPC recommendations regarding changes to policy or to the structure specified in the Senate Bylaw.
The ASC may establish such subcommittees as are required for it to carry out the mandate assigned to it by the Senate Bylaw or by other Senate policy. The activities of any subcommittees should be included in reports to Senate by the ASC.