Skip to main content

Information by Student Group

Student Financial Assistance has organized information here by student group to assist you in answering some more common questions that students ask. You may also benefit from reviewing the other areas of the website.

Aboriginal Students

Start by applying for funding through your First Nations. If you need additional assistance, we encourage you to apply for OSAP as well. As an Aboriginal student, you can now expect to receive more generous support through OSAP - if you receive First Nations funding, it won’t be considered when determining how much OSAP you’re eligible for. Ryerson also offers financial assistance through scholarships and bursaries - check out Ryerson's Aboriginal Student Services for more information.

Chang School Certificates

If you’re completing a certificate through The Chang School of Continuing Education, you can find awards and financial aid information specific to certificate programsNew window on The Chang School of Continuing Education websiteNew window.

You might also be eligible for government financial aid through the Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP). Below, you’ll find a complete list of Certificate Programs approved for OSAP and Continuation of Interest-Free Status.

Please note: In order to receive OSAP funding for an OSAP-eligible certificate, you must be taking courses that count toward the certificate graduation requirements. Courses that do not count toward the certificate's completion cannot be funded through OSAP. To view required courses for certificate programs, please visit the Chang School websiteNew window.

  • Accounting - Finance
  • Advanced Enterprise Architecture and Infrastructure Management
  • Advanced Accounting
  • Advanced International Trade Management
  • Advanced Safety Management
  • Aging and Gerontology
  • Business Decision Analysis
  • Business French and Translation
  • Business Management
  • Canadian Social Work Practice (also called Internationally Educated Social Work Professionals)
  • Caribbean Studies
  • Canadian Dietetic Knowledge Competencies (formerly known as Internationally Educated Profession in Nutrition)
  • Community Engagement, Leadership, and Development
  • Criminal Justice and Criminology
  • Digital Art Production
  • Economics (discontinued as of Fall 2019)
  • Economics and Finance
  • Economics: Fundamentals
  • Economics: Theory and Applications
  • Energy Management and Conservation
  • English Literature and Pop Culture
  • Entering Foreign Markets
  • Entrepreneurship and Small Business
  • Film Studies
  • Financial Mathematics Modeling and Predictive Analytics
  • Financial Planning
  • Foundations of International Management
  • Graphic Communications
  • Health Informatics
  • Health Services Management
  • Health Studies
  • Human Resources Management 
  • *Image Arts (with specializations in Film Studies or Photography Studies)New window
  • Information Systems Management
  • Internationally Educated Engineers Qualification Bridging (IEEQB)
  • Leadership in Organizations
  • Media Writing Fundamentals
  • Mental Health and Addictions
  • Music: Global and Cultural Contexts
  • News Studies
  • Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Management
  • Occupational Health and Safety
  • Occupational Health and Safety Leadership 
  • Photography Studies Intensive (CDFP 999)
  • Proficiency in French
  • Proficiency in Spanish
  • Psychology
  • Public Administration and Leadership
  • Retail Management
  • Social Sciences and Humanities Foundations
  • Strategic Marketing
  • Summer Film School (CDMP 999)

*Please note: The Image Arts Certificate with a specialization in Photography Studies and the Photography Studies Certificate are unique certificates. The Image Arts Certificate is OSAP eligible while Photography Studies is not.

Co-op and Internship Programs

Completing an internship or co-op work term? You might be eligible for OSAP funding or interest-free status on previous loans! To qualify, your work term must be required as part of your program (optional work terms are not eligible). Check the lists below for "required" and "optional" work terms.

You've got two OSAP options:

  1. Apply for OSAP
    You will be considered for OSAP funding, including a living allowance, while on work term.
  2. Apply for Continuation of Interest-Free Status
    Don’t want OSAP? Keep previous loans interest-free, and out of repayment, by applying for Continuation of Interest-Free Status on the OSAP website. Apply at the start of term – we’ll confirm your enrolment to let the loan centre know your status.

Required Co-op/Internship Work Terms:

  • Accounting and Finance
  • Architectural Science
  • Biology
  • Biomedical Science
  • Business Management
  • Business Technology
  • Chemical Engineering
  • Chemistry
  • Child and Youth Care
  • Computer Science
  • Contemporary Science
  • Early Childhood Education
  • Economic and Management Science
  • Fashion Communications
  • Fashion Design
  • Financial Mathematics
  • Geographic Analysis
  • Graphic Communications Management
  • Global Management Studies
  • Hospitality and Tourism
  • Human Resources
  • Interior Design
  • Law and Business
  • Mathematics and its Application
  • Medical Physics
  • Occupational and Public Health (Occupational Health and Safety)
  • Occupational and Public Health (Public Health and Safety)
  • Real Estate Management
  • Retail Management
  • Sports Media

Although you aren’t eligible for OSAP funding, you can apply for the Repayment Assistance Plan (RAP) if your previous OSAP loans enter repayment.

Work term shorter than six months? Don’t worry about it – you won’t enter repayment.

Work term longer than six months? You will enter repayment - but not until the end of your six month grace period. During this period, the National Student Loan Service Centre (NSLSC) will get in touch and provide you with more information about RAP.

Returning to full-time studies after your work term? Remember to either apply for OSAP or Continuation of Interest-Free Status. When we confirm your enrolment, your loans will return to interest-free status and you won’t be expected to make payments.

Optional Co-op/Internship Work Terms:

  • Aerospace Engineering
  • Biomedical Engineering
  • Civil Engineering
  • Graphic Communications Management
  • Computer Engineering
  • Electrical Engineering
  • Environmental and Urban Sustainability
  • Industrial Engineering
  • International Economics and Finance
  • Journalism
  • Mechanical Engineering
  • Media Production
  • New Media
Exchange Students

Going on Exchange? You may qualify for OSAP! Please see some Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) below to help you prepare for applying for OSAP when on an international Exchange!

The Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP) provides financial assistance for educational cost such as tuition fees, books, and basic living expenses.

OSAP will not cover your travel expenses such as your airline ticket, visa application fees to chosen country, or health insurance.

Budgeting is the best tool to manage your expenses while you are abroad.

OSAP is a needs-based program.  Your financial aid through OSAP is based on a formula that compares your educational costs to expected contributions from your parents/spouse (if applicable) and your own income and assets.

OSAP will assess your file and provide you with financial aid to help with your educational costs and your basic living expenses.

OSAP will assess your file and provide you with financial aid to help with your educational costs and your basic living expenses as living at home for the fall term (if applicable) and as away from home for the winter term.

If there is a break of four or more weeks between your studies at Ryerson and on exchange, your file will be reassessed and your funding might decrease.  When a student has a break of four or more weeks, we adjust your file to reflect the duration you are in school (e.g. September 4 - December 15; February 1 - June 1).  If the break between your studies at Ryerson and on exchange is less than four weeks, your study period will remain as one continuous block (e.g. September 4 - June 1).

OSAP funding will be deposited directly into your student account if you have fees owing once your school confirms your enrolment.  Any remaining funding will be directed to your bank account. For the second term funding, you must update your estimated income on your online OSAP account if it has changed.

If your file is reassessed due to the gap of more than four weeks during the study period then you can request a review on your file to override the second expected contribution. You must provide the following:

  • A letter confirming you will be unable to work abroad during the break of your studies.
  • Completed Appeal Pre-study Contribution form (if applicable)
First Nations Technical Institute (FNTI)

First Nations Technical Institute (FNTI) students qualify for OSAP and/or Continuation of Interest-Free Status (CIFS) as long as they remain in a minimum of 3 courses per term (or minimum 2 courses per term if they have a permanent disability).

FNTI Social Work 2018/2019:
Given the specialized course delivery format, if a FNTI Social Work student drops a course, you will no longer qualify for OSAP or CIFS. If you receive OSAP funding, then subsequently drop 1 or more course(s), please note this puts you at risk of having an overpayment (meaning you received more OSAP than what you were entitled to, which can impact your future OSAP eligibility). You may also be put on OSAP academic progress - which you can find out more about on Ask Ryerson.

FNTI Public Administration and Governance 2018/2019: most students in this program take 2 courses per semester. Please apply for part-time OSAPNew window (if you have a permanent disability, you are eligible to apply for full-time OSAPNew window. If you are taking 3 or more courses, please apply for full-time OSAPNew window.

Fresh Start Program

You can apply for OSAP funding while you are participating in the Fresh Start program - we’ve provided term-specific information below. If you’re new to Fresh Start, you might also find the Frequently Asked Questions page helpful.

First Term
In the first term of the Fresh Start program, you can take up to 2.0 units for your program, making you eligible for the Part-Time OSAP program (if you have a disability and are taking 2.0 units, you are considered full-time and can submit a Full-Time OSAP application). As part of the Fresh Start Program, you are also required to enrol in CIFS 100: Fresh Start Strategies — please note that this course is not covered by OSAP. In addition to OSAP funding, we encourage you to apply for bursary assistance through Ryerson - we’ll see if there’s anything else we can do to help.

Did you have previous OSAP loans? If so, your loans may enter repayment (you aren’t eligible for Continuation of Interest-Free Status with a part-time course load). You do, however, have a six month grace period before you enter repayment (starting from the last study period end date on your Full-Time OSAP file). You can also apply for the Repayment Assistance Plan through the National Student Loans Service Centre (NSLSC) to be considered for a reduced monthly payment or no payment at all. Get in touch with the NSLSC at 1-888-815-4514 or create an online account to access your OSAP repayment information and to apply for RAP.

Second Term
In the second term of the Fresh Start program, you can take a full-time course load and apply for Full-Time OSAP funding (or Continuation of Interest-Free Status if you do not wish to receive OSAP, but would like to keep previous loans interest-free).

Graduate Studies

Graduate students in a full-time program, regardless of their course load*, must apply for Full-Time OSAP.

Graduate students in a part-time program, regardless of their course load*, must apply for Part-Time OSAP.

* Please note: Graduate students in the following programs must apply for OSAP based on the number of courses taken per term:

  • Masters of Business Administration programs;
  • Masters of Nursing programs;
  • Masters of Computer Networks (Engineering); and
  • Master of Engineering Innovation and Entrepreneurship


Please visit our Full-Time OSAP and Part-Time OSAP websites for more information.

Full-Time OSAP Graduate Students:

As a graduate student, your Full-Time OSAP is assessed for the full year (Fall/Winter and Spring/Summer), but is released in two installments - September and January. When you receive your OSAP, plan to set funds aside to cover your Spring/Summer tuition fees (due in May).

Keep in mind that your OSAP entitlement is based on your income information, so if you receive graduate funding throughout the year, your assessment may change. If your OSAP does change, for any reason, you will receive notification through the OSAP system.

Part-Time OSAP Graduate Students:

Graduate students receiving Part-Time OSAP must submit an OSAP application for each semester you are part-time (i.e. a separate application for Fall, Winter, and Spring/Summer semesters) in order to be assessed for funding.

Professional Master’s Diplomas:

Please note that Ryerson’s Professional Master’s Diplomas are not eligible for OSAP funding or continuation of interest-free status. 

Law Practice Program (LPP)

As a candidate in the Ryerson Law Practice Program (LPP), you are not eligible for OSAP funding. You are, however, eligible for interest-free status – and suspended repayment - on previous OSAP loans.

To apply, log on to your account at and complete the Continuation of Interest Free Status (CIFS) Application. You can apply as early as 15 days before the first day of your program and we recommend applying as soon as possible to suspend repayment. For the 2019-2020 academic year, please indicate August 19, 2019 as your program start date and April 24, 2020 as your program end date.

Can’t remember your OSAP login? Click the "Forgot OAN and/or password" link to attempt an email reset.

Don’t have a validated email account with OSAP? Drop by a financial aid office at any university or college in Ontario. At Ryerson, we can reset your password at the ServiceHub, located in POD150.

To prove your identity, you will need:

  1. Valid, government-issued photo ID
  2. Government-issued proof of your Social Insurance Number (eg. Your SIN card or confirmation of SIN from Service Canada). Please note that T4, T4a and T5 documents cannot be accepted for this purpose.

Questions? Ryerson's Student Financial Assistance team will be available during LPP's August In-Person Week to answer questions and reset passwords (specific dates/times will be provided by the LPP). You are also welcome to contact the OSAP team via the ServiceHub.

Students Living with Disabilities

If you have a permanent disability, OSAP will provide additional financial support. For OSAP purposes, a permanent disability is legally defined as a functional limitation:

  • Caused by a physical or mental impairment that restricts your ability to perform the daily activities necessary to participate in studies at a postsecondary level or in the labour force
  • Is expected to remain with you for your expected life

After you apply for OSAP, you can register with Ryerson's Academic Accommodation Support and provide any disability documentation outlined on your OSAP application. If you have any questions about the process, please let us know - we’ll be happy to help.

As part of the OSAP program, you will be automatically considered for the Canada Student Grant for Persons with Permanent Disabilities. To be considered for additional disability-related support, we also recommend applying for the Ontario Bursary for Students with Disabilities (BSWD) and Canada Student Grant for Services and Equipment for Persons with Permanent Disabilities (CSG-PDSE).

Studies at Another Institution

Ryerson Students
If you are enrolled concurrently at Ryerson and another post-secondary institution, your fees for the courses at your other institution may be added to your OSAP assessment at Ryerson.

Please complete the Studies at Another Institution FormPDF with the financial aid office at the other institution. You will be required to submit the form, proof of payment for the course(s), and a copy of your letter of permission for each course. You can submit your documents by uploading them to your OSAP portal or dropping them off at the ServiceHub.

Visiting Students
If you are receiving OSAP from your home institution, but are also taking Ryerson courses on a letter of permission, you may be eligible to receive OSAP funding through your home institution. Please connect with your school’s financial aid office to get a studies at another institution form from them. You can bring the form to the ServiceHub to have it filled out by one of our student financial assistance advisors.