Skip to main content

FAQ for Current Students

What forms of financial assistance are available to students?

Sociology students are eligible to apply to several scholarships and awards. You can find more information the Sociology Awards page.

The Office of Student Financial Assistance can also help you address any financial questions or concerns. Learn more about their services on the OSFA website.

Can I do a Minor in any other programs?

There are many programs that offer a minor to Sociology students. Please see the Minors for Sociology Students page for a complete list of options, or talk to our Undergraduate Program Director or our Program Administrator for further academic advice.

What is CELT?

CELT is a short form for Community Engaged Learning and Teaching. CELT opportunities are offered in some Sociology courses. When a course incorporates CELT, students have an opportunity to become involved with a community organization as part of their course requirements. To learn more about CELT, visit the Faculty of Arts Student Experience Centre website.

What support networks are available to students?

Ryerson provides many different support services to students. For a list of some of these services go to the Student Resources page.

How do I get involved in the Sociology Department or on campus?

The Ryerson Sociology Students' Course Union (RSSU) provides a great opportunity to become involved in the department. Learn more about the RSSU here.

Beyond the department, there are many ways for students to become involved in university life and to meet new people across campus. The Faculty of Arts has published a guide for students who want to get involved in campus life. You may find it here.

What can I do with a Sociology Degree?

A Sociology degree sets the stage for a variety of careers in public, private or not-for-profit sectors. Take see learn more, and to see what some Ryerson Sociology alumni are up to check out the After Your Degree page.

You can also visit the Ryerson Career Centre website.

I’m having trouble in my Sociology classes. Who can I talk to?

If you are having trouble in one of your courses, the best place to start is by talking to your course instructor. Visit your instructor during office hours or email your instructor to make an appointment. 

If you are having trouble in a few of your courses and are concerned about your progress in the program, you can speak with our Undergraduate Program Director or the Undergraduate Program Administrator. You can find their contact information here.

Ryerson also has counselling services for students. You can visit them on the Ryerson Counselling website.