You are now in the main content area

Information by Student Group

Student Financial Assistance has organized information here by student group to assist you in answering some more common questions that students ask. You may also benefit from reviewing the other areas of the website.

Start by applying for funding through your First Nations. If you need additional assistance, we encourage you to apply for OSAP as well. As an Aboriginal student, you can now expect to receive more generous support through OSAP - if you receive First Nations funding, it won’t be considered when determining how much OSAP you’re eligible for. Ryerson also offers financial assistance through scholarships and bursaries - check out Ryerson's Aboriginal Student Services for more information.

If you’re completing a certificate through The Chang School of Continuing Education, you might be eligible for government financial aid through the Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP). Below, you’ll find a complete list of Chang School Certificate Programs approved for OSAP and Continuation of Interest-Free Status.

You can also find awards and financial aid information specific to certificate programs, opens in new window on The Chang School of Continuing Education website, opens in new window.

Please note: In order to receive OSAP funding for an OSAP-eligible certificate, you must register in an OSAP-eligible certificate and be taking courses that count toward the certificate graduation requirements. Courses that do not count toward the certificate's completion cannot be funded through OSAP. To view required courses for certificate programs, please visit the Chang School website, opens in new window.

*Please note: The Image Arts Certificate with a specialization in Photography Studies and the Photography Studies Certificate are unique certificates. The Image Arts Certificate is OSAP eligible while Photography Studies is not.

If you are enrolled in a Work Term (sometimes referred to as a WKT) on RAMSS that does not have billing units associated with it, you might be eligible for OSAP funding or interest-free status on previous OSAP loans!

To qualify, your co-op work term must be required as part of your program's curriculum requirements. Check the list below for "required" internship or co-op work terms at Ryerson.

On a "required" work term?

You've got two OSAP options:

  1. Apply for OSAP
    You can apply for full-time OSAP funding, including a living allowance, while on your co-op work term. When you apply for full-time OSAP while on a co-op work term, please indicate 100% as your course load on your OSAP application.
  2. Apply for Continuation of Interest-Free Status (CIFS)
    Don’t want OSAP? Keep previous loans interest-free, and out of repayment, by applying for Continuation of Interest-Free Status on the OSAP website, external link, opens in new window. We encourage you to apply at the start of your co-op work term to avoid interest from accumulating – we’ll review your application and notify the National Student Loans Service Centre of your status. Check out our important dates page for deadline dates!

Required Co-Op Work Terms

  • Accounting and Finance
  • Architectural Science
  • Biology
  • Biomedical Science
  • Business Management (All Majors)
    • Economics and Management Science
    • Entrepreneurship
    • Global Management Studies
    • Human Resources (HR) Management
    • Law and Business
    • Marketing Management
    • Real Estate Management
  • Business Technology Management
  • Chemical Engineering
  • Chemistry
  • Child and Youth Care
  • Computer Science
  • Early Childhood Education
  • Fashion
  • Financial Mathematics
  • Geographic Analysis
  • Graphic Communications Management
  • Hospitality and Tourism Management
  • Interior Design
  • Mathematics and its Application
  • Medical Physics
  • Occupational and Public Health
  • Retail Management
  • Sports Media

On an "optional" work term?

If you are on a work term or internship for a program not listed above, you are not eligible for OSAP funding or Continuation of Interest-Free Status (CIFS). However, you can apply for the Repayment Assistance Plan (RAP), external link, opens in new window through your online National Student Loans Service Centre (NSLSC) account, external link, opens in new window if your previous OSAP loans enter repayment.

Work term shorter than six months? Don’t worry about it – you won’t enter repayment.

Work term longer than six months? You will enter repayment, but not until the end of your six month grace period. During this period, the NSLSC will get in touch through your online NSLSC Portal, external link, opens in new window mailbox and provide you with more information about the RAP, external link, opens in new window.

Returning to full-time studies after your work term? Remember to either apply for OSAP, external link, opens in new window or Continuation of Interest-Free Status, external link, opens in new window by the deadline dates. When we confirm your enrolment, your loans will return to interest-free status and you won’t be expected to make payments.

Going on Exchange? You may qualify for OSAP! Please see some Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) below to help you prepare for applying for OSAP when on an international Exchange!

Will OSAP take into consideration my added expenses for my exchange?

The Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP) provides financial assistance for educational cost such as tuition fees, books, and basic living expenses.

OSAP will not cover your travel expenses such as your airline ticket, visa application fees to chosen country, or health insurance.

Budgeting is the best tool to manage your expenses while you are abroad.

How is my OSAP calculated?

OSAP is a needs-based program.  Your financial aid through OSAP is based on a formula that compares your educational costs to expected contributions from your parents/spouse (if applicable) and your own income and assets.

How will OSAP assess my file if I am attending an exchange program for the fall and winter terms?

OSAP will assess your file and provide you with financial aid to help with your educational costs and your basic living expenses.

How will OSAP assess my file if I am attending an exchange program for the winter term only?

OSAP will assess your file and provide you with financial aid to help with your educational costs and your basic living expenses as living at home for the fall term (if applicable) and as away from home for the winter term.

How does my exchange program study period impact my OSAP assessment?

If there is a break of four or more weeks between your studies at Ryerson and on exchange, your file will be reassessed and your funding might decrease.  When a student has a break of four or more weeks, we adjust your file to reflect the duration you are in school (e.g. September 4 - December 15; February 1 - June 1).  If the break between your studies at Ryerson and on exchange is less than four weeks, your study period will remain as one continuous block (e.g. September 4 - June 1).

How will I receive my funding abroad?

OSAP funding will be deposited directly into your student account if you have fees owing once your school confirms your enrolment.  Any remaining funding will be directed to your bank account. For the second term funding, you must update your estimated income on your online OSAP account if it has changed.

Can I appeal my OSAP funding if my assessment does not meet my needs?

If your file is reassessed due to the gap of more than four weeks during the study period then you can request a review on your file to override the second expected contribution. You must provide the following:

  • A letter confirming you will be unable to work abroad during the break of your studies.
  • Completed Appeal Pre-study Contribution form (if applicable)

First Nations Technical Institute (FNTI) students qualify for OSAP and/or Continuation of Interest-Free Status (CIFS) as long as they remain in a full-time course load: 3 courses per term (or minimum 2 courses per term if they have a permanent disability).

If you are taking courses in a block format (e.g. in the fall term, you take Course A from September to October, Course B from October to November, and Course C from November to December, if you drop a course, you will no longer qualify for OSAP or CIFS.

If you receive OSAP funding, then subsequently drop 1 or more course(s), please note this puts you at risk of having an overpayment (meaning you received more OSAP than what you were entitled to, which can impact your future OSAP eligibility). You may also be put on OSAP academic progress - which you can find out more about on Ask Ryerson, external link, opens in new window.

You can apply for OSAP funding while you are participating in the Fresh Start program - we’ve provided term-specific information below. If you’re new to Fresh Start, you might also find the Frequently Asked Questions page helpful.

First Term

In the first term of the Fresh Start program, you can take up to 2.0 courses for your program, making you eligible for the Part-Time OSAP program (if you have a permanent disability and are taking 2.0 courses, you are considered full-time and can submit a Full-Time OSAP application). As part of the Fresh Start Program, you are also required to enrol in CIFS 100: Fresh Start Strategies — please note that this course is not covered by OSAP.

Did you have previous OSAP loans? If so, your loans may enter repayment (you aren’t eligible for Continuation of Interest-Free Status, external link, opens in new window with a part-time course load). You do, however, have a six month grace period before you enter repayment (starting from the last study period end date on your Full-Time OSAP file). You can also apply for the Repayment Assistance Plan (RAP) , external link, opens in new windowthrough the National Student Loans Service Centre (NSLSC) to be considered for a reduced monthly payment or no payment at all. Get in touch with the NSLSC at 1-888-815-4514 or create an online account, external link, opens in new window to access your OSAP repayment information and to apply for RAP.

Second Term

In the second term of the Fresh Start program, you can take a full-time course load and apply for Full-Time OSAP funding (or Continuation of Interest-Free Status, external link, opens in new window if you do not wish to receive OSAP, but would like to keep previous loans interest-free).

Graduate students in a full-time program, regardless of their course load, must apply for Full-Time OSAP.

Graduate students in a part-time program, regardless of their course load, must apply for Part-Time OSAP.

Please visit our Full-Time OSAP and Part-Time OSAP websites for more information.

Full-Time OSAP Graduate Students

As a graduate student, your Full-Time OSAP is assessed for the full year (fall/winter and spring/summer), but is released in two instalments - September and January. When you receive your OSAP, plan to set funds aside to cover your spring/summer tuition fees (due in May).

Keep in mind that your OSAP entitlement is based on your income information, so if you receive graduate funding throughout the year, your assessment may change. If your OSAP does change, for any reason, you will receive notification through the OSAP system.

If you are being assessed for OSAP for fall, winter, and spring/summer and you know ahead of time that you do not plan to attend for the full academic year, please contact our team at the ServiceHub so we can update your file for you.

Part-Time OSAP Graduate Students

Graduate students receiving Part-Time OSAP must submit an OSAP application for each term you are part-time (i.e. a separate application for fall, winter, and spring/summer terms) in order to be assessed for funding.

Ineligible Graduate Programs

Please note that Ryerson's Professional Master's Diplomas are not eligible for OSAP funding or continuation of interest-free status.

As a candidate in the Ryerson Law Practice Program (LPP), you are not eligible for OSAP funding. You are, however, eligible for interest-free status – and suspended repayment - on previous OSAP loans.

To apply, log on to your account on the OSAP website, external link, opens in new window and complete the Continuation of Interest Free Status (CIFS) Application. You can apply as early as 15 days before the first day of your program and we recommend applying as soon as possible to suspend repayment. For the 2020-2021 academic year, please indicate August 24, 2020 as your program start date and April 30, 2021 as your program end date. Please note that if there are any adjustments to your program start date and/or program end date, Candidates are responsible for updating our office via the ServiceHub.

Can’t remember your OSAP login? Click the "Forgot OAN and/or password" link to attempt an email reset.

Don’t have a validated email account with OSAP? Drop by a financial aid office at any university or college in Ontario. At Ryerson, we can reset your password at the ServiceHub, located in POD150.

To prove your identity, you will need:

  1. Valid, government-issued photo ID
  2. Government-issued proof of your Social Insurance Number (eg. Your SIN card or confirmation of SIN from Service Canada). Please note that T4, T4a and T5 documents cannot be accepted for this purpose.

Questions? Please contact the OSAP team via the ServiceHub.

If you have a permanent disability, OSAP will provide additional financial support. For OSAP purposes, a permanent disability is legally defined as a functional limitation:

  • Caused by a physical or mental impairment that restricts your ability to perform the daily activities necessary to participate in studies at a postsecondary level or in the labour force
  • Is expected to remain with you for your expected life

After you apply for OSAP, you can register with Ryerson's Academic Accommodation Support and provide any disability documentation outlined on your OSAP application. If you have any questions about the process, please let us know - we’ll be happy to help.

As part of the OSAP program, you will be automatically considered for the Canada Student Grant for Persons with Permanent Disabilities, external link, opens in new window. To be considered for additional disability-related support, we also recommend applying for the Ontario Bursary for Students with Disabilities (BSWD), external link, opens in new window and Canada Student Grant for Services and Equipment for Persons with Permanent Disabilities (CSG-PDSE), external link, opens in new window.

Ryerson Students

If you are enrolled concurrently at Ryerson and another post-secondary institution, your fees for the courses at your other institution may be added to your OSAP assessment at Ryerson.

Please complete the PDF fileStudies at Another Institution Form with the financial aid office at the other institution. You will be required to submit the form, proof of payment for the course(s), and a copy of your letter of permission for each course. You can submit your documents by uploading them to your OSAP portal or dropping them off at the ServiceHub.

Visiting Students

If you are receiving OSAP from your home institution, but are also taking Ryerson courses on a letter of permission, you may be eligible to receive OSAP funding through your home institution. Please connect with your school’s financial aid office to get a studies at another institution form from them. You can bring the form to the ServiceHub to have it filled out by one of our student financial assistance advisors.