Ryerson University will be offering a limited number of in-person classes and services for fall 2021. To view information about important school-wide services, please visit the Ryerson COVID-19 page. If you are a current student and would like to reach us at the ServiceHub, please visit our ServiceHub Contact page.
Bursary for Students with Disabilities (BSWD)
At Ryerson, we believe that everyone should have access to education and financial assistance, free of any barriers.
The Bursary for Students with Disabilities (BSWD) is funded by the Government of Ontario and is a component of OSAP. It is intended to help students with financial need meet their disability-related educational costs for specialized services without having to incur additional debt, and increase access to post-secondary education for students with disabilities.
This bursary is open to full-time or part time students with a permanent or temporary disability. To be eligible for funding for disability-related costs, students must complete the following steps:
The BSWD requires you to be eligible for either Full-Time or Part-Time OSAP funding. You will have to create an OSAP account (if you do not have one already), and complete an OSAP application form on the OSAP website, external link, opens in new window. You will also have to submit a PDF fileDisability Verification Form, external link, opens in new window. Students must have their OSAP confirmation of enrolment completed before being assessed for BSWD.
In addition to the OSAP Disability Verification Form, which confirms a permanent or temporary disability, supporting documentation recommending specific services and equipment is required. Contact your Student Accommodation Facilitator, or the Academic Accommodation Support office if you have not been assigned a facilitator, to discuss your eligibility for specific items and services.
Once your OSAP eligibility is confirmed, complete the google formBSWD Application Form, external link, opens in new window by the assigned deadline. You may be required to submit supplementary forms with your application; your Student Accommodation Facilitator will be able to tell you which forms you may need to submit. Your Academic Accommodation Support Facilitator can help you with this process.
Academic Accommodation Support will review your application to ensure that all files are accurate and complete. Please note that you must submit the completed Bursary for Students with Disabilities (BSWD) package back to Academic Accommodation Support. You may be contacted by Academic Accommodation Support if your submission needs to be revised.
Academic Accommodation Support will submit your completed application to our office, Student Financial Assistance, on your behalf, and our office will contact you with next steps, including if your application was approved or not, the amount you will receive, and how to access the funds.
For more information, we encourage you to visit Academic Accommodation Support’s Financial Support website for more details on BSWD and the application process.
Note: BSWD funding will neither be issued before the student’s enrolment is confirmed, nor after the student’s OSAP study period end date.
If Your Bursary Application is Approved by Student Financial Assistance…
Do not deposit or use the funds if your academic status and/or course enrolment has changed, or if your requirements have changed since you submitted your application. Contact your Student Financial Assistance Advisor to determine next steps.
- Equipment/software receipts must be submitted within 30 days of receiving the bursary.
- Services receipts must be submitted no later than 30 days after the study period, with appropriate supplemental documentation.
- Bursary funds can only be used during the study period for which the application was approved.
- If recommended equipment and/or assessments were purchased before the study period, or during the study period but prior to funding approval, receipts must be submitted with the application.
- Receipts for services or equipment made after the study period for which the application was approved will not be accepted.
- The deadline date to submit receipts is the end of the study period.
For specific dates related to your application, see the Student Financial Assistance communication sent to your Ryerson email.
- Use these funds only for items and/or services approved on your BSWD application, as indicated in by Student Financial Assistance in the approval email.
- If you choose to spend over the allotted amount indicated for each item, it is your financial responsibility.
- Funds cannot be used for any other purchases, tuition, or for living expenses.
- Unused BSWD funds must be returned after all purchases are made and services provided.
- BSWD funds are provided on a term-by-term basis and must be used within that period. Any unused funds must be returned in order to access BSWD funds in a future semester.
- Receipts must be paid in full and include:
- Date of payment and services provided
- Method of payment (e.g., visa, debit etc.)
- Itemized purchases or services, if applicable
- If recommended equipment and/or assessments were purchased before the study period, or during the study period but prior to funding approval, receipts must be submitted with the application
- Receipts for services such as tutoring/note takers/counsellors/coaches must be original copies
- Invoices and/or order forms are not acceptable
- Equipment/software receipts must be submitted within 30 days of receiving the bursary
- Services receipts must be submitted no later than 30 days after the study period, with appropriate supplemental documentation
- To submit receipts: email the receipts as an attachment to the Adviser noted on Student Financial Assistance communications about this bursary
Students can return their unused funds to their RAMSS account, similar to the way they pay student fees. To make payments via online banking:
- Indicate Payee: “Ryerson University”
- Account Number: your Ryerson student number
Email your Student Financial Assistance Advisor immediately after you make the payment, so there is a record of the transaction and it can be processed correctly. Failure to notify Student Financial Assistance may result in your returned BSWD funds to be accidentally applied to outstanding tuition charges on your RAMSS account. In your email, include:
- The date of payment
- The amount