You are now in the main content area

Update: Ryerson University’s readiness plan to welcome international students

As was announced by the federal government earlier this fall, all post secondary institutions must have a COVID-19 readiness plan approved by their provincial government to be able to welcome international students.  Effective November 17th, Ryerson's readiness plan has been approved by the federal and provincial governments.

In addition to Ryerson University’s approved COVID-19 readiness plan, international students must be eligible to enter Canada through possession of a valid study permit or letter of introduction issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). For more information related to travel to Canada please visit this webpage, external link. If you are unclear about your eligibility to enter Canada, please contact International Student Support at

Date: November 17, 2020

Tax Services

In Canada, income tax is administered by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). The Canadian income tax year is from January 1 to December 31. As a student living in Canada, you must file your taxes. You are eligible to claim a refund and get your money back from the Canadian Government. If you have to pay tax every year, you must file an income tax and benefit return. If you have no income to report, you should still file a return. 

All currently enrolled Ryerson international students are eligible to file taxes with us. If you are looking to file for your family member, you must have your family member present at the appointment. Some students may be ineligible to file taxes with us:

  • Students who have an income of more than $35,000/year
  • Students who are self-employed;
  • Students who are have a business or rental income and expenses;
  • Student who have capital gains or losses;
  • Student who have employment expenses;
  • Student who need to file for bankruptcy;

Tax Appointments & Common Questions

ISS Tax Clinics run between March 8th-March 19th, 2021 and international students are welcome to book a free 30-minute appointment to file their taxes from the year 2020.

To book an appointment, kindly fill out thegoogle form ISS Tax Clinic Appointment Booking Form. , external link

Please note that appointments are booked on a first-come, first-serve basis. Submitting this form does not guarantee that you will secure an appointment, so book as early as possible!

You will receive a confirmation email within 2-3 business days of submitting this form, which will confirm the following information:

  • Date and time of your 30-minute appointment
  • Zoom link for the appointment
  • Important instructions for your appointment, including what information to bring

If you need your taxes filed for years other than 2020, please consult the publicly advertised free tax clinics which can be found on the free tax clinics , external linkpage on the Government of Canada website.

To file a Canadian tax return you will need either :

  • A Social Insurance Number (SIN) (and if applicable), your spouse’s SIN
  • OR an Individual Tax Number (ITN) - ONLY if you do not have a SIN

For your appointment you will need:

  • A USB key to save your tax return;
  • Your most recent Notice of Assessment (disregard if this is your first time filing taxes);
  • Your Passport and Study Permit;
  • A VOID cheque or bank statement if willing to receive direct deposit;

Additional Supporting Documents (please bring all documents that apply to you):

  • T2202A – tuition fees and education amount. This can be downloaded from RAMSS under “Student Fees” under “T2202A Inquiry”
  • T4 – Employment income and deductions. You should receive your T4 from your employer.
  • T4A – Scholarships and bursaries or research grants (issued by Ryerson).
  • T3 or T5 forms if you earned interest on investments and deposits (issued by banking and financial institutions).

RC62 - You may be eligible to receive RC62 Universal Child Care Benefit, external link if your spouse or children live with you in Canada.

Date Time
March 8, 2021 1 pm- 4 pm
March 10, 2021 1 pm- 4 pm
March 12, 2021 1 pm- 4 pm
March 16, 2021 9 am- 12 pm
March 18, 2021 9 am- 12 pm
March 19, 2021 9 am- 12 pm

You may be eligible to deduct certain expenses from your tax payments. These may include rent costs, cost of relocating to Canada, charitable donation receipts during the tax period (Jan 1 - December 31)

If you are NOT eligible for Social Insurance Number (SIN), please apply for an Individual Tax Number (ITN).

What is an ITN?

An Individual Tax Number (ITN) is a unique number that Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) uses to identify you for tax purposes if you aren't eligible for a Social Insurance Number (SIN) (e.g., because you don’t have a study permit allowing you to work).

How can I get an ITN?

It can take a few approximately 6-8 weeks to process, so make sure you apply early! You will need a notarized photocopy of a piece of government identification, such as passport, in order to apply. The Ryerson Legal Clinic may be able to assist with this free of charge. Please contact Sara Wong at to inquire about appointment availability. 

If you are unable to get an appointment at the Ryerson Legal Clinic, please contact a notary public or a commissioner for taking oaths, external link. There will be a fee for the notarization service.

The following steps detail how to apply for an ITN:

1. PDF fileComplete ITN Application Form, external link  

2. Make an appointment and visit the Ryerson Legal Clinic OR contact a notary public or commissioner for taking oaths , external link and bring with the following items:

  • Your COMPLETED application form
  • Your ORIGINAL and PHOTOCOPY of government issued ID (e.g. passport, study permit, or driver’s licence)

3. Mail your application and supporting documents securely. We suggest using Canada Post Xpresspost to mail your documents.

Note: The photocopy of your government identification, such as your passport, must be notarized or certified (signed with a notation that this is a true copy of the original and their official title) by an authorized individual, external link.

Courier address: 

Attn: ITN unit
Sudbury Tax Centre Sudbury Tax Centre
1050 Notre Dame Ave
Sudbury ON P3A 5C1

Thumbnail Placeholder for ISS Tax Services Infographic

Each year, International Student Support (ISS) partners with the Community Volunteer Income Tax Program (CVITP) to provide free tax filing appointments for international students at Ryerson University. The tax filing is completed by tax preparer volunteers which are upper-year students at Ryerson from the Accounting and Finance program. This year, the ISS Tax Clinics happened March 8th-March 19th, 2021 via Zoom. Survey results from attendees showed that 85% of students were in Canada at the time of filing and 92.5% of students were successful in filing their taxes. This infographic shares the experiences of international students filing their taxes in Canada and their experiences at the ISS Tax Clinics. It also shares the tax preparer volunteers' application of accounting and finance knowledge, their experiences, and what they enjoyed through volunteering.