You are now in the main content area

Update: Ryerson University’s readiness plan to welcome international students

As was announced by the federal government earlier this fall, all post secondary institutions must have a COVID-19 readiness plan approved by their provincial government to be able to welcome international students.  Effective November 17th, Ryerson's readiness plan has been approved by the federal and provincial governments.

In addition to Ryerson University’s approved COVID-19 readiness plan, international students must be eligible to enter Canada through possession of a valid study permit or letter of introduction issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). For more information related to travel to Canada please visit this webpage, external link. If you are unclear about your eligibility to enter Canada, please contact International Student Support at

Date: November 17, 2020

Health & Wellness

Wellness is the lifelong active process of making decisions towards a holistic, healthy, and fulfilling lifestyle.

When we think about health, it’s important to recognize the different dimensions of health and how they contribute to our well-being. These include:

 Physical

 Spiritual

 Social & Cultural

 Emotional

 Career, Academic, Volunteer



The World Health Organization (WHO), external link defines health as a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity.

Each of these dimensions play an important part in health. Making a small change to one area can help boost other areas. During different times, you may find yourself focusing on one area over another and that’s okay. Or, you may value one area over another. That’s also okay. There are lots of ways to maintain a holistically healthy life and making decisions that are good for you and where you are at is the most important thing to keep in mind. The Student Health and Resilience Program (SHARP) is a great resource to help you identify your well-being goals and work towards them.


This mandatory health insurance is a government replacement plan that provides medical coverage comparable to that of OHIP for Ontario residents.

Services covered by UHIP include hospital and physician services, x-rays and annual exams. Students can visit the UHIP plan details, external link page to learn more about the types of services that are covered by UHIP and those that are not covered.

International students can contact International Student Support at 416-979-5000 ext. 6655, or visit us in POD-50A for information and advice about UHIP coverage, as well as assistance with special issues or questions.


Anyone (Canadian or international) who has health insurance must provide valid proof of health coverage before receiving medical services/care. International students can obtain a printed copy of their UHIP electronic card from International Student Support (ISS) in POD-50A at any time throughout the year.

When visiting a doctor's office, clinic or hospital, you will be required to present a copy of your UHIP electronic card to the receptionist or registration desk. Your insurance information will be recorded and the insurance company (Sun Life) will be billed for your medical fees.

Please confirm with your intended medical provider before hand to determine if the UHIP plan is accepted. It is preferred that you visit a clinic or hospital that accepts UHIP so that you do not have to pay out of your own pocket for medical services.

UHIP coverage is for a 12 month period running from September 1 to August 31 of each academic year.

ISS will automatically enroll all international students including exchange students in UHIP for the twelve month period from September 1st to August 31st of the current academic year. You must connect in person or via email at with International Student Support to ensure that you are enrolled in UHIP.

It is very important for you to:

1. Review your account details on RAMSS for the UHIP premium fee.

2. Connect with ISS, either in person at POD-50A or by email at, to verify your UHIP enrollment status or to ask questions about the UHIP premium fee, coverage details, etc. 

3. Register online, external link with Sun Life to access your UHIP e-card or fill out the google formUHIP Card Request Form, external link. A member of the ISS team will respond within two business days. View the Sun Life Webcast - Register Online, external link for step-by-step instructions.

Did you know?

  • To register online you will need your date of birth, Canadian postal code, contract/policy number (050150), your member ID number (RU+your student number), and your Ryerson email address.
  • Once you have registered, you will be able to print a copy of your access ID number. This is NOT your UHIP coverage card. You will need your access ID number to complete your registration in order to log-in.
  • View the Sun Life Webcast - Print My Card, external link to learn how to print your UHIP card.

Health insurance coverage is mandatory for spouses and dependent children who are accompanying or visiting an international student. Couple or family coverage must be obtained (at an additional fee) to include your family members while they are staying in Canada.

Spouses and children must be enrolled in UHIP within 30 days of their arrival in Canada or a late fee will be added to the UHIP premium fee.

  1. Connect with ISS, either in person at POD-50A or by email at to verify your UHIP enrollment status and enroll your spouse and or/dependent children.
  2. Speak to an International Student Advisor, either in person or via email, about the UHIP premium fee, coverage details, etc.
  3. Review your account details on RAMSS for the couple or family UHIP premium fee and make the necessary payment
  4. Log-into, external link to print a copy of your updated UHIP card for your spouse/children or fill out the google formUHIP Inquiry Request Form, external link to request your new card for your family member.

UHIP coverage will expire on August 31st each year that you are enrolled, however, after completing your studies you are eligible for a short-term extension of your UHIP coverage up to two months, September 1st to October 31st. The premium fee of $126 for two months of coverage will be applied to your RAMSS.

In some cases students may be required to pay the health costs on their own and request reimbursement from Sun Life by submitting a UHIP claim, external link. To request payment from Sun Life for any medical expenses covered by UHIP, an international student must:

  1. Print a copy of the Claim Form* or pick up a copy from ISS in POD-50A.

  2. Fill in the information and attach your original receipts. If you need help completing the form or have questions, please make an appointment to see an International Student Advisor. Always keep a copy of your receipts.

  3. Mail your completed claim form and original receipts to:

Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada
Claims Department
PO Box 9845 STN T
Ottawa, ON K1G 6V4

You can also email the claim form and original receipts to Be sure to include policy #50150 and your UHIP member ID in the subject line.

*You should always have a claim form with you for all doctor visits. If charged, have your doctor fill in Section 4 and Section 5 of the form.

For any inquiries related to claims you may contact Sun Life at 1-866-500-8447 or


It is very important that international students requiring clinical and hospital services use the UHIP "Preferred Provider Network" (PPN) to ensure that they are not personally responsible for a portion of the costs for their medical treatment. A list of PPN hospitals can be found on the UHIP website, external link.

Did you know?


The nearest off-campus clinic is:
Appletree Medical Centre,, external link 275 Dundas St. West, Tel: 416-722-2370


The nearest hospital is:
St. Michael's Hospital,, external link 30 Bond Street, Tel: 416-360-4000
Emergency department is located at the corner of Victoria Street and Shuter Street.

The Ryerson Medical Centre provides registered students with health services similar to those offered by a family doctor. International students are encouraged to visit the Medical Centre for health services and referrals (UHIP is accepted). The services available include general medical care, annual physicals, allergy and flu shots, blood tests and referrals to specialists.

For more information or to make an appointment, call 416-979-5070 or visit the Medical Centre's website.

The annual cost of the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) is currently $756 for 12 months of coverage. This is added to your tuition fees on RAMSS at the start of each academic year.

Please visit the UHIP website, external link for a detailed breakdown of premium fees, external link.

Exchange students: your UHIP premium will be charged based on the number of terms that you will be studying at Ryerson. E.g. one term = 4 months @ $252.