You are now in the main content area

Update: Ryerson University’s readiness plan to welcome international students

As was announced by the federal government earlier this fall, all post secondary institutions must have a COVID-19 readiness plan approved by their provincial government to be able to welcome international students.  Effective November 17th, Ryerson's readiness plan has been approved by the federal and provincial governments.

In addition to Ryerson University’s approved COVID-19 readiness plan, international students must be eligible to enter Canada through possession of a valid study permit or letter of introduction issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). For more information related to travel to Canada please visit this webpage, external link. If you are unclear about your eligibility to enter Canada, please contact International Student Support at

Date: November 17, 2020

Accessing Care

International students have access to various insurances to offset the cost of their care. On this page, you will be able to find information for UHIP, OHIP for temporary workers, Alternative Health Information, and the Ryerson Student Union (RSU) Health and Dental Plan below.


University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) is a mandatory health insurance that provides medical coverage comparable to that of OHIP for Ontario Students. All international students (including undergraduate, graduate, and exchange students) studying in Ontario with a valid study permit are required to be enrolled in UHIP. This plan pays for medical services such as seeing a doctor, hospital stays and treatment, exams, and emergency services. International students must confirm with ISS that they are enrolled by emailing from their Ryerson email account and providing their student number.


The cost of the insurance, currently $756, is charged to your student account along with your tuition fees. You are covered from September 1 until August 31 of each academic year. This insurance covers hospital and physician services, x-rays, and annual exams. You can find out more information regarding the types of services through the UHIP Plan Details, external link.

ISS automatically enrolls all international students and exchange students in UHIP for the twelve month period of the academic year. You must ensure this by emailing

  1. Review your account details on RAMSS for the UHIP premium fee.
  2. Connect with ISS, either in person at POD-50A or by email at, to verify your UHIP enrollment status or to ask questions about the UHIP premium fee, coverage details, etc. 
  3. Register online, external link with Sun Life to access your UHIP e-card or fill out the google formUHIP Inquiry Request Form, external link. A member of the ISS team will respond within two business days. View the Sun Life Webcast - Register Online, external link for step-by-step instructions.

Did you know?

  • To register online you will need your date of birth, Canadian postal code, contract/policy number (050150), your member ID number (RU+your student number), and your Ryerson email address.
  • Once you have registered, you will be able to print a copy of your access ID number. This is NOT your UHIP coverage card. You will need your access ID number to complete your registration in order to log-in.
  • View the Sun Life Webcast - Print My Card., external link
  •  to learn how to print your UHIP card.

Anyone (Canadian or international) who has health insurance must provide valid proof of health coverage before receiving medical services/care. International students can obtain a printed copy of their UHIP electronic card from International Student Support (ISS) in POD-50A at any time throughout the year.

When visiting a doctor's office, clinic or hospital, you will be required to present a copy of your UHIP electronic card to the receptionist or registration desk. Your insurance information will be recorded and the insurance company (Sun Life) will be billed for your medical fees.

It is very important that international students requiring clinical and hospital services use the UHIP "Preferred Provider Network" (PPN) to ensure that they are not personally responsible for a portion of the costs for their medical treatment. A list of PPN hospitals can be found on the UHIP website., external link The nearest Off campus clinic is: Appletree Medical Centre,, external link 275 Dundas St. West, Tel: 416-722-2370, and the nearest Hospital is St. Michael's Hospital,, external link 30 Bond Street, Tel: 416-360-4000, Emergency department is located at the corner of Victoria Street and Shuter Street.

The Ryerson Medical Centre also provides registered students with health services similar to those offered by a family doctor. International students are encouraged to visit the Medical Centre for health services and referrals (UHIP is accepted). The services available include general medical care, annual physicals, allergy and flu shots, blood tests and referrals to specialists.

For more information or to make an appointment, call 416-979-5070 or visit the Medical Centre's website.

Health insurance coverage is mandatory for spouses and dependent children who are accompanying or visiting an international student. Couple or family coverage must be obtained (at an additional fee) to include your family members while they are staying in Canada.

Spouses and children must be enrolled in UHIP within 30 days of their arrival in Canada or a late fee will be added to the UHIP premium fee.

  1. Connect with ISS, either in person at POD-50A or by email at to verify your UHIP enrollment status and enroll your spouse and or/dependent children.
  2. Speak to an International Student Advisor, either in person or via email, about the UHIP premium fee, coverage details, etc.
  3. Review your account details on RAMSS for the couple or family UHIP premium fee and make the necessary payment
  4. Log-into, external link
  5.  to print a copy of your updated UHIP card for your spouse/children or fill out the 
  6. google formUHIP Inquiry Request Form, external link
  7.  to request your new card for your family member.

In some cases students may be required to pay the health costs on their own and request reimbursement from Sun Life by submitted a UHIP claim, external link. To request payment from Sun Life for any medical expenses covered by UHIP, an international student must:

  1. Print a copy of the Claim Form* or pick up a copy from ISS in POD-50A.
  2. Fill in the information and attach your original receipts. If you need help completing the form or have questions, please make an appointment to see an International Student Advisor. Always keep a copy of your receipts.
  3. Mail your completed claim form and original receipts to:

Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada
Claims Department
PO Box 9845 STN T
Ottawa, ON K1G 6V4

*You should always have a claim form with you for all doctor visits. If charged, have your doctor fill in Section 4 and Section 5 of the form.

For any inquiries related to claims you may contact Sun Life at 1-866-500-8447 or

UHIP coverage will expire on August 31st each year that you are enrolled, however, after completing your studies you are eligible for a short-term extension of your UHIP coverage up to two months, September 1st to October 31st. The premium fee of $126 for two months of coverage will be applied to your RAMSS.

OHIP For Temporary Workers

Open Work Permit holders (including international students with a valid Post-Graduation Work Permit) and their spouses/dependants may be eligible for Ontario health insurance coverage. In order to be considered, provide proof of employment (job letter or offer) in Ontario for at least six (6) months, have a valid work permit during this time and:

  • maintain your primary place of residence in Ontario; and
  • are physically present in Ontario for at least 153 days in any 12-month period; and
  • are physically present in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately after establishing residency in the province.

For more detailed information about OHIP eligibility and requirements, refer to the fact sheet on OHIP Eligibility, external link and Questions and Answers, external link on OHIP.

If you have any questions about your eligibility for OHIP coverage please contact INFO line at 1-866-532-3161 or visit your local Service Ontario, external link Office. The nearest Service Ontario office to campus is located at College Park, Lower level, 777 Bay Street.

RSU Health and Dental

The Ryerson Students Union (RSU) Members' Health and Dental Plan provides complimentary health coverage for some services not covered by the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP), to all full-time undergraduate students (Canadian and international) at Ryerson. Such complementary health services include prescription medications, chiropractors, dental services and massage therapy.

For more information on the Members' Health and Dental Plan contact the RSU Health Administrator at 416-979-5255 ext. 2311, email or visit the Member Service Office in SCC. You may also visit the RSU website, external link.

 Full time graduate students (Canadian and International) will be enrolled in the XGSU health plan that provides complimentary health coverage for some services not covered by the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP)

For more information on the Member’s XGSU plan contact them via email You may also visit the XGSU website, external link

Alternative Health Information

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) requires all students to have health insurance coverage while in Canada.  International Student Support (ISS) administers the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) to all full-time undergraduate, graduate and exchange students as well as their dependents.

There are, however, some international students and family members (extended) who need to obtain health insurance while staying in Canada and would not be eligible to obtain UHIP. Some of these cases will include:

  • A common-law spouse who is living with a UHIP eligible student but where the relationship does not meet the requirement under UHIP (conjugal union of at least 12 months)
  • An international student registered in a part-time degree program.
  • An international student registered in a program or courses at the G. Raymond Chang School of Continuing Education
  • Newly admitted international students who are already living in Canada but are not yet registered at Ryerson.
  • An international student who has graduated and exceeded the coverage provided by UHIP and does not yet qualify for the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) – UHIP can be extended until October 31.
  • A child of a student, staff or faculty who is over 21 and not studying full-time.
  • An extended family members e.g. siblings, parents, grandparents, cousins, etc. who will be coming to Canada to visit.