You are now in the main content area


Tell your instructor as soon as conditions arise that are likely to affect your academic performance. If you plan to file an appeal, be sure to carefully follow the appeal procedures. Help is available.

You must let your instructor or the teaching or program department know as soon as circumstances arise that are likely to affect your academic performance. It is also your responsibility to try to resolve all course related issues with the instructor as soon as they occur and then, if needed, with the Chair/Director of the teaching department/school.

Failure to do so may jeopardize a later appeal.

Two types of appeals

  1. Grade Appeal: Submit your appeal to the teaching department/school that offered the course. (Submit grade appeals for all Chang School courses to The Chang School, and the appropriate Program Director will coordinate the response with the appropriate department).
  2. Academic Standing Appeal: Submit your appeal to your program department/school.


You may file grade and Academic Standing appeals based on one or more specific grounds (reasons):

  1. Medical;
  2. Compassionate;
  3. Prejudice; and
  4. Procedural Error

Course Management may also be considered as grounds for grade (but not Academic Standing) appeals. Except for Procedural Error, you cannot introduce a new ground at higher appeal levels.

Consult Senate Policy 134 Undergraduate Academic Consideration and Appeals for detailed definitions of these grounds.

Appeal levels

  1. Department Level: All appeals start at the Department/School Level.
  2. Faculty Level: Students who wish to appeal the decision of the Department/ School must do so to the Dean of the Faculty.
  3. Senate Level: Students who wish to appeal the decision of the Faculty must do so to the Senate Appeals Committee. Decisions of the Senate Appeals Committee are final.

Consult the Significant Dates Table for Appeal deadlines. Timing is key – appeal deadlines are strictly enforced and you must submit the correct documentation and evidence. It is strongly recommended that you seek support and advice when filing an appeal.

See Senate Policy 134 for detailed instructions, definitions, and procedures.

Help with appeals

Student Group Contact
Full-time undergraduate and graduate program students Academic Advocacy at the Ryerson Students’ Union, external link, opens in new window (416 979 5255 ext. 2322)
Part-time undergraduate program and Chang School students Student Rights Coordinator, external link, opens in new window at the Continuing Education Student Association of Ryerson (416-979-5000, ext. 7056).
All students may contact The Centre for Student Development and Counselling, opens in new window (416-979-5195) or the Ombudsperson, opens in new window (416-979-5000, ext. 7450)

Quick Links 