Graduation and Convocation
If you are enrolled in the final courses of your program, then it’s time to start planning for graduation and your convocation ceremony.
You must successfully complete all program requirements as prescribed by Senate to graduate with a degree or certificate.
You must apply to graduate by the deadline date for either Spring (June) graduation or Fall (October) graduation. You should apply early. For example, if you plan to graduate in June, you would apply to graduate right after you have enrolled in all of your Winter term classes. Application deadlines are strictly enforced.
There is no penalty and no negative impact if you apply to graduate and are not approved to graduate. This gives you the chance to successfully complete your program requirements and to apply again to graduate if necessary.
Consult the Significant Dates
The requirements for graduation are outlined in detail in the Undergraduate Calendar and in Senate Policy 46 Policy on Undergraduate Grading, Promotion, and Academic Standing (pdf). See Essential Policy Highlights.
Briefly, to graduate you must:
- Successfully complete all of the program requirements set out in your curriculum as approved by Senate (see Academic Advisement Report)
- Have a program cumulative grade point average of 1.67 or higher;
- Complete your program within the allotted timespan;
- Meet the residency requirements;
- Be admitted to and active in the program from which you are graduating; and
- Meet all Academic Standing variations and graduation variations that may apply to your program.
As well as fulfilling Ryerson’s program-wide Graduation Requirements (Policy #46 in Essential Policy Highlights), if you are in one of the following programs you must meet additional academic conditions:
- Child and Youth Care
- Social Work
Consult the Undergraduate calendar for complete details about these extra requirements.
Certificates, diplomas and degrees are conferred at your convocation ceremony. If you do not plan to attend the ceremony, you may retrieve your graduation award document/parchment after the ceremony by one of the following methods:
- pick it up in person at ServiceHub, Room POD-150 in the Podium during the pick-up period after Convocation;
- send a friend or relative to pick it up on your behalf during the pick-up period (authorization required);
- request to have it couriered to you.
See Curriculum Advising website for more information about Graduating in Absentia.