You are now in the main content area

Minors, Concentrations, Specializations, and Certificates

placeholder image

Minors, concentrations, optional specializations and certificates are opportunities for you to enrich your education, explore other interests, and demonstrate competence in an additional academic discipline.


A Minor is an opportunity for you to explore a secondary area of undergraduate study either for personal interest beyond your degree program, or as an area of specific expertise related to your degree program that will serve the your career choice.

A minor consists of six single-term courses with a coherence based on discipline, theme and method. Some Minors may be excluded for your program. You declare your Minor when you apply to graduate.

The RAMSS Support website provides detailed instructions on how to declare your minor.


A Concentration consists of at least six specified courses within an area of disciplinary or interdisciplinary study, which is completed on an optional basis and is noted on the academic transcript. A Concentration provides students the opportunity to develop in-depth knowledge representing a sub-specialization or emphasis within the core discipline or major.

Optional Specializations

Ryerson University’s Optional Specializations are an opportunity for you to enrich your studies by focusing on a particular area of interest.  

Specialization courses are completed in addition to your regular program requirements, often in the Spring/Summer or via Distance Education. Optional Specializations are noted on your Official Transcript on graduation from your program. You must follow the Specialization’s published curriculum and maintain a Clear Academic Standing.

Certificate programs

If you want to complete a certificate program, you should register in the certificate when you begin the program; in all cases, you must register before you complete 50% of the certificate program’s requirements. Students who register in a certificate are entitled to priority enrolment for courses in the certificate.

The residency requirement for graduation states that you must complete at least 50% of the courses used to meet certificate requirements through continuing education offerings of courses (e.g., CINT 901, not INT 901). At least 50% of the courses must be taken in addition to your degree studies. See also Graduating with a Certificate.

Some certificates are not available to students registered in certain degree programs. The Curriculum Advising website lists the certificates and their restrictions. For more information consult the Chang School's How to Register in a Certificate Program.

Quick Links 