You are now in the main content area

Starting Monday, March 16th, International Student Support, Tri-Mentoring Program and Campus Engagement will be moving our programming online. If you need to speak to us, email Find all our programs at

Tax Services

In Canada, income tax is administered by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). The Canadian income tax year is from January 1 to December 31.

As a student living in Canada, you must file your taxes. You are eligible to claim a refund and get your money back from the Canadian Government.

If you have to pay tax every year, you must file an income tax and benefit return. If you have no income to report, you should still file a return.


  • All Ryerson international students are eligible.
  • People looking to file for family members MUST have their family members present at the appointment.
  • Students who are self-employed;
  • Students who are have a business or rental income and expenses;
  • Student who have capital gains or losses;
  • Student who have employment expenses;
  • Student who need to file for bankruptcy;
  • Visit our office located in POD 50-A or 
  • Email us at with the following details:
    • Full Name 
    • Student ID 
    • The date(s) and time(s) you would like to have your appointment

Note: We will reply to your email to confirm the appointment details.

Date Time Location
Mon., March 9, 2020 1 pm- 5 pm POD 250
Fri., March 13, 2020 1 pm- 5 pm POD 250
Mon. March 16, 2020 1 pm- 5 pm Real Institute (Town Hall)
Wed., March 18, 2020 1 pm- 5 pm POD 56 Lounge
Thur., March19, 2020 1 pm- 5 pm POD 56 Lounge
  • Filing for one year of taxes
    • Expect approximately 30 minutes per session (or longer if it’s a complicated case);
  • Filing for you and your dependent:
    • Expect approximately one hour or more per session;
  • Filing for multiple years (maximum two years of taxes: 2018 & 2019):
    • Expect approximately one hour or more per session

To file a Canadian tax return you will need either :

  • A Social Insurance Number (SIN) (and if applicable), your spouse’s SIN
  • OR an Individual Tax Number (ITN) - ONLY if you do not have a SIN

For your appointment you will need:

  • A USB key to save your tax return;
  • Your most recent Notice of Assessment (disregard if this is your first time filing taxes);
  • Your Passport and Study Permit;
  • A VOID cheque or bank statement if willing to receive direct deposit;

Additional Supporting Documents (please bring all documents that apply to you):

  • T2202A – tuition fees and education amount. This can be downloaded from RAMSS under “Student Fees” under “T2202A Inquiry”
  • T4 – Employment income and deductions. You should receive your T4 from your employer.
  • T4A – Scholarships and bursaries or research grants (issued by Ryerson).
  • T3 or T5 forms if you earned interest on investments and deposits (issued by banking and financial institutions).

RC62 - You may be eligible to receive RC62 Universal Child Care Benefit, external link, opens in new window if your spouse or children live with you in Canada.

You may be eligible to deduct certain expenses from your tax payments. These may include rent costs, cost of relocating to Canada, charitable donation receipts during the tax period (Jan 1 - December 31)

Visit here to see more information on common tax deductions for students., external link, opens in new window

If you are NOT eligible for Social Insurance Number (SIN), please apply for an Individual Tax Number (ITN).

What is an ITN?

An Individual Tax Number (ITN) is a unique number that Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) uses to identify you for tax purposes if you aren't eligible for a Social Insurance Number (SIN) (e.g., because you don’t have a study permit allowing you to work).

How can I get an ITN?

It can take a few approximately 6-8 weeks to process, so make sure you apply early! You will need a notarized photocopy of a piece of government identification, such as passport, in order to apply. The Ryerson Legal Clinic may be able to assist with this free of charge. Please contact Sara Wong at to inquire about appointment availability. 

If you are unable to get an appointment at the Ryerson Legal Clinic, please contact a notary public or a commissioner for taking oaths, external link. There will be a fee for the notarization service.

The following steps detail how to apply for an ITN:

1. PDF fileComplete ITN Application Form, external link  

2. Make an appointment and visit the Ryerson Legal Clinic OR contact a notary public or commissioner for taking oaths , external link and bring with the following items:

  • Your COMPLETED application form
  • Your ORIGINAL and PHOTOCOPY of government issued ID (e.g. passport, study permit, or driver’s licence)

3. Mail your application and supporting documents securely. We suggest using Canada Post Xpresspost to mail your documents.

Note: The photocopy of your government identification, such as your passport, must be notarized or certified (signed with a notation that this is a true copy of the original and their official title) by an authorized individual, external link.

Courier address: 

Attn: ITN unit
Sudbury Tax Centre Sudbury Tax Centre
1050 Notre Dame Ave
Sudbury ON P3A 5C1