Skip to main content

Immigration Support and Advising

The Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC) was established in July 2011 by the federal department of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada, in adherence to Section 91 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA). This section states that anyone who provides Canadian immigration services for a fee or other consideration, must be registered as an Immigration Consultant, and maintain good standing with the ICCRC. Members in good standing of a law society of a province (including paralegals) and  the Chambre des notaires du Québec are also authorized to provide advice or representation for consideration in connection with an application or procedure under the Act.

Immigration consultants are professionals that assist with immigration advice and representation. All consultants and advisors providing Canadian immigration services must hold the Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants (RCICs) or Regulated International Students Immigration Advisors (RISIAs) authorized designation.

Without proper certification, University employees cannot advise students about immigration options, help them complete immigration forms, or communicate with the immigration officials on their behalf. Merely advising someone on their immigration options can be considered unauthorized practice. The penalty associated with the offence of representing or advising a person range from fines (up to $100,000) to imprisonment (up to two years).


Immigration Support for Ryerson Students:

At Ryerson, International Student Support (ISS) is the authorized office to provide immigration support to all of our students. All of our professional staff are licensed by ICCRC to provide immigration support to our students. We are required to abide by the  ICCRC ethical code of conduct.

ISS full time professional staff utilize their designation to support Ryerson students in immigration matters related to their student life cycle. Please feel free to refer Ryerson students to ISS and/or consult with one of us for any immigration matters.

Immigration Support for Prospective Students:

If you are supporting a prospective applicant then you can always refer them to and/or Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada helpline 1-888-242-2100 (in Canada only). If the prospective applicant is outside of Canada then you can also refer them to Canadian VISA Application Centres.

Questions and Inquiries


If you have any question related to IRPA section 91 and/or ICCRC ethical code of conduct then please feel free to connect with Arif Abu, Coordinator and the Designated Learning Institution Representative (DLI-R) of Ryerson by emailing or by calling 416-979-5000 ext. 6663.

Please contact ISS for more information or assistance.