You are now in the main content area

University Health Insurance Plan

All international students (including undergrad, graduate and exchange students) studying in Ontario with a valid study permit are required to be enrolled in a province-wide private insurance plan, called the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP). This plan pays for medical services such as seeing a doctor, hospital stays and treatment, exams and emergency services.

International students must visit International Student Support (ISS) to ensure that they are enrolled in UHIP. Your UHIP card will also be available at ISS for pick up.


  1. Review account details on RAMSS for the UHIP premium fee.
  2. Visit ISS office in POD-50A to verify your UHIP enrollment status.

  3. Speak to an International Student Advisor about UHIP premium fee, coverage details, etc.

  4. Register online to access your UHIP e-card or pick up temporary proof from ISS.

The cost of this insurance, currently $636, is charged to your student account along with your tuition fees and you are covered from September 1 until August 31 of each academic year.

This mandatory health insurance is a government replacement plan that provides medical coverage comparable to that of OHIP for Ontario residents.

Services covered by UHIP include hospital and physician services, x-rays and annual exams. Students can visit the UHIP plan details, external link page to learn more about the types of services that are covered by UHIP and those that are not covered.

International students can contact International Student Support at 416-979-5000 ext. 6655, or visit us in POD-50A for information and advice about UHIP coverage, as well as assistance with special issues or questions.


Anyone (Canadian or international) who has health insurance must provide valid proof of health coverage before receiving medical services/care. International students can obtain a printed copy of their UHIP electronic card from International Student Support (ISS) in POD-50A at any time throughout the year.

When visiting a doctor's office, clinic or hospital, you will be required to present a copy of your UHIP electronic card to the receptionist or registration desk. Your insurance information will be recorded and the insurance company (Sun Life) will be billed for your medical fees.

Please confirm with your intended medical provider before hand to determine if the UHIP plan is accepted. It is preferred that you visit a clinic or hospital that accepts UHIP so that you do not have to pay out of your own pocket for medical services.

UHIP coverage is for a 12 month period running from September 1 to August 31 of each academic year.

ISS will automatically enroll all international students including exchange students in UHIP for the twelve month period from September 1st to August 31st of the current academic year. You must visit International Student Support to ensure that you are enrolled in UHIP.

It is very important for you to:

  1. Review your account details on RAMSS to view the UHIP premium fee

  2. Visit the ISS office to verify your UHIP enrollment status

  3. Speak to an International Student Advisor about UHIP premium fee, coverage details, etc.

  4. Register online, external link with Sun Life to get your Electronic UHIP card or pick up a copy from ISS. View the Sun Life Webcast - Register Online, external link for step-by-step instructions.

Did you know?

  • To register online you will need your date of birth, Canadian postal code, contract/policy number (050150), your member ID number (RU+your student number), and your Ryerson email address.
  • Once you have registered, you will be able to print a copy of your access ID number. This is NOT your UHIP coverage card. You will need to your access ID number to complete your registration in order to log-in.
  • View the Sun Life Webcast - Print My Card, external link to learn how to print your UHIP card.

Health insurance coverage is mandatory for spouses and dependent children who are accompanying or visiting an international student. Couple or family coverage must be obtained (at an additional fee) to include your family members while they are staying in Canada.

Spouses and children must be enrolled in UHIP within 30 days of their arrival in Canada or a late fee will be added to the UHIP premium fee.

In order to enroll your spouse and/or children you must:

  1. Visit the ISS office (POD-50A) to verify your UHIP enrollment status and enroll your spouse and/or dependent children.
  2. Speak to an International Student Advisor about UHIP premium fee, coverage details, etc.
  3. Review your account details on RAMSS for the couple or family UHIP premium fee and make the necessary payment at the Student Fees office.
  4. Log-in to, external link to print a copy of your updated UHIP card for your spouse/children or visit ISS to get a copy of your new card for your family member.

UHIP coverage will expire on August 31st each year that you are enrolled, however, after completing your studies you are eligible for a short-term extension of your UHIP coverage up to two months, September 1st to October 31st. The premium fee of $106 for two months of coverage will be applied to your RAMSS.

If you are graduating and would like to extend your UHIP for coverage for the two month period, please visit ISS in POD-50A to make this request.


In some cases students may be required to pay the health costs on their own and request reimbursement from Sun Life by submitted a UHIP claim, external link. To request payment from Sun Life for any medical expenses covered by UHIP, an international student must:

  1. Print a copy of the Claim Form* or pick up a copy from ISS in POD-50A.

  2. Fill in the information and attach your original receipts. If you need help completing the form or have questions, please make an appointment to see an International Student Advisor. Always keep a copy of your receipts.

  3. Mail your completed claim form and original receipts to:

    Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada
    Claims Department
    PO Box 9845 STN T
    Ottawa, ON K1G 6V4

*You should always have a claim form with you for all doctor visits. If charged, have your doctor fill in Section 4 and Section 5 of the form.

For any inquiries related to claims you may contact Sun Life at 1-866-500-8447 or


It is very important that international students requiring clinical and hospital services use the UHIP "Preferred Provider Network" (PPN) to ensure that they are not personally responsible for a portion of the costs for their medical treatment. A list of PPN hospitals can be found on the UHIP website, external link.

Did you know?


The nearest off-campus clinic is:
Appletree Medical Centre,, external link 275 Dundas St. West, Tel: 416-722-2370


The nearest hospital is:
St. Michael's Hospital,, external link 30 Bond Street, Tel: 416-360-4000
Emergency department is located at the corner of Victoria Street and Shuter Street.

The Ryerson Medical Centre provides registered students with health services similar to those offered by a family doctor. International students are encouraged to visit the Medical Centre for health services and referrals (UHIP is accepted). The services available include general medical care, annual physicals, allergy and flu shots, blood tests and referrals to specialists.

For more information or to make an appointment, call 416-979-5070 or visit the Medical Centre's website.

The annual cost of the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) is currently $636 for 12 months of coverage. This is  added to your tuition fees on RAMSS at the start of each academic year.

Please visit the UHIP website, external link for a detailed breakdown of the premium fees, external link.

Exchange Students: your UHIP premium will be charged based on the number of terms that you will be studying at Ryerson, e.g. one term = 4 months @ $212.