Skip to main content

Apply to Ryerson University




It is highly recommended that you secure housing prior to arriving in Toronto.

Two possibilities include applying for on-campus residence or arranging for short-term temporary accommodations in order to give you the opportunity to look for something long-term off-campus.

While private housing may be found in Toronto after arrival, housing suitable for students is limited, particularly during the back-to-school period in late August and early September. A standard private residential lease is for one year. Inexpensive short term housing (5-6 months) is more difficult to arrange. Keep in mind that most landlords will require you to pay first and last month's rent up front.


Pre-arrival checklist:


  • Follow the steps to apply for your Study Permit for the first time. For those students who already have a Study Permit but need to extend it, click here for more details and to access the application forms.
  • If you are coming from outside of Canada, you may require a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) to order to be allowed to enter Canada at the airport/border.
  • An excellent source of Canadian immigration information is the Canadian High Commission, Consulate or Embassy in your country, click here to find the closest visa office to submit your application.
  • Consult the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website for more immigration information and application procedures.
  • Purchase travel insurance to cover the time period from date of your departure until you arrive at Ryerson. Every full-time international student will have mandatory health coverage under the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP).
  • Visit a physician and dentist before departure to Canada.
  • Bring a copy of your health records, with information on allergies and immunizations, especially in the case of previous medical concerns or an existing medical condition.
  • Bring an extra pair of glasses or contact lenses, if applicable.
  • Be sure to carry adequate prescription medication, if required. When traveling to Canada, it is best to have a doctor's note for injection kits for students who are insulin dependent.
  • Apply for residence or arrange short-term housing or off-campus housing.
  • Arrange to arrive in Canada with at least $200 in Canadian currency and about $1,000 in traveler's cheques to cover your initial expenses.
  • Put emergency numbers for your home country and Canada in your phone book or contact list.
  • Leave copies of your documents with family members at home.


back to top

Personal Journal

Consider keeping a personal journal to chronicle your overseas experience. Such a journal can be a record of both your experiences for later reflection and can also provide a primary source of documentation regarding immigration details and emergency numbers, etc. We also recommend that you maintain a file containing all correspondence with Ryerson.

Travel Information

Complete the steps outlined on the Pre-Arrival Checklist. The following website provides general travel information and tips.


Guide to Toronto

The following links are also useful if you are new in Toronto.


back to top