Skip to main content

University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP)

All registered full-time international students (including undergrad, graduate, exchange, and RUFP) studying at Ryerson with a valid study permit are required to be enrolled in a province-wide private insurance plan, called the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP). This mandatory health insurance is a government replacement plan that provides medical coverage comparable to that of OHIP for Ontario residents. UHIP coverage is for a twelve month period running from September 1 to August 31 of each academic year.

Services covered by UHIP include hospital and physician services, x-rays and annual exams. Students can visit the Summary of Coverage page to learn more about the types of services that are covered by UHIP and those that are not covered.

International students can contact International Student Support at 416-979-5000 ext. 6655, or visit us in POD-50A for information and advice about UHIP coverage, as well as assistance with special issues or questions.

What's on this page?


Enrollment & Electronic UHIP Card

ISS will automatically enroll all international students including exchange students in UHIP for the twelve month period from September 1st to August 31st of the current academic year. You must visit International Student Support to ensure that you are enrolled in UHIP.

It is very important for you to:

  1. Review your account details on RAMSS to view the UHIP premium fee
  2. Visit the ISS office to verify your UHIP enrollment status
  3. Speak to an International Student Advisor about UHIP premium fee, coverage details, etc.
  4. Register online with Sun Life to get your Electronic UHIP card or pick up a copy from ISS. View the Sun Life Webcast - Register Online for step-by-step intructions.


  • To register online you will need your date of birth, Canadian postal code, contract/policy number (050150), your member ID number (RU+your student number), and your Ryerson email address.
  • Once you have registered, you will be able to print a copy of your access ID number. This is NOT your UHIP coverage card. You will need to your access ID number to complete your registration in order to log-in. 
  • View the Sun Life Webcast - Print My Card to learn how to print your UHIP card.


UHIP for Spouses & Dependent Children

Health insurance coverage is mandatory for spouses and dependent children who are accompanying or visiting an international student. Couple or family coverage must be obtained (additional fee) to include your family members while they are staying in Canada. Spouses and children must be enrolled in UHIP within 30 days of their arrival in Canada or a late fee will be added to the UHIP premium fee. In order to enroll your spouse and/or children you must:

  1. Visit the ISS office (POD-50A) to verify your UHIP enrollment status and enroll your spouse and/or dependent children.
  2. Speak to an International Student Advisor about UHIP premium fee, coverage details, etc.
  3. Review your account details on RAMSS for the couple or family UHIP premium fee and make the necessary payment at the Student Fees office.
  4. Log-in to to print a copy of your updated UHIP card for your spouse/children or visit ISS to get a copy of your new card for your family member.

Back to top

UHIP Extension When Graduating

UHIP coverage will expire on August 31st each year that you are enrolled, however, after completing your studies you are eligible for a short-term extension of your UHIP coverage up to four months, September 1st to December 31st. The premium fee of $204 for four months of coverage will be applied to your RAMSS.

If you are graduating and would like to extend your UHIP for coverage for the two month period, please visit ISS in POD-50A to make this request.


UHIP Claims

In some cases students may be required to pay the health costs on their own and request reimbursement from Sun Life by submitted a UHIP claim. To request payment from Sun Life for any medical expenses covered by UHIP, an international student must:

  1. Print a copy of the Claim Form* or pick up a copy from ISS in POD-50A.
  2. Fill in the information and attach your original receipts. If you need help completing the form or have questions, please make an appointment to see an International Student Advisor. Always keep a copy of your receipts.
  3. Mail your completed claim form and original receipts to:
    Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada
    Claims Department
    PO Box 9845 STN T
    Ottawa, ON K1G 6V4

*You should always have a claim form with you for all doctor visits. If charged, have your doctor fill in Section 4 and Section 5 of the form.

For any inquiries related to claims you may contact Sun Life at 1-866-500-8447 or

Back to top

Preferred Provider Network of Hospitals

It is very important that international students requiring clinical and hospital services use the UHIP "Preferred Provider Network" (PPN) to ensure that they are not personally responsible for a portion of the costs for their medical treatment. A list of PPN hospitals can be found on the UHIP website.

The nearest off-campus clinic is:

Appletree Medical Centre, 275 Dundas St. West, Tel: 416-722-2370

The nearest hospital is:

St. Michael's Hospital, 30 Bond Street, Tel: 416-360-4000
Emergency department is located at the corner of Victoria Street and Shuter Street.


Premiums (Fees)

The annual cost of the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP), currently $612 for 12 months of coverage, is added to your tuition fees on RAMSS at the start of each academic year.

table showing the UHIP premium rates for each month of enrollment up to 12 months.

If you are an exchange student, your UHIP premium will be charged based on the number of terms that you will be studying at Ryerson, e.g. one term = 4 months @ $204.

Back to top

More UHIP Information