Skip to main content

Inviting a spouse or family member to visit you in Canada

Your spouse or family member may need to apply for a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) at the nearest Canadian Consulate or Embassy. Canadian officials will want to ensure that your spouse or family member has enough money to support themselves for the length of their stay and that they will be returning to their home country after their visit to Canada.

You can support your spouse/family member's application by providing the following:

  • Letter of Invitation
  • Information about financial support
  • The reasons for your spouse/family member to return to their country
  • Ryerson Status Letter from ISS


Letter of Invitation

For more information on preparing a letter of invitation click here.

Your letter must include the following information about the person being invited:

  • Complete name
  • Date of birth
  • The person’s address and telephone number
  • Your relationship to the person being invited
  • The purpose of the trip
  • How long the person you are inviting intends to stay in Canada
  • Details on accommodation and living expenses
  • The date the person you are inviting intends to leave Canada


Your letter must also include the following information about yourself:

  • Complete name
  • Date of birth
  • Address and telephone number in Canada
  • Occupation
  • A photocopy of a document proving your status in Canada (i.e. your Study Permit or Work Permit)

Note: Since the families of students almost always remain in Canada until graduation, you should not request a 3 month visa as officials are not likely to believe this and the visa may be denied.


Information about financial support and other support documents

  1. Copy of bank statements covering several months
  2. Letter describing any scholarship you may have, specifying the amount
  3. Letter indicating the amount you will be paid for any job you hold
  4. Letter from a sponsor (if this is an individual, include information about their financial circumstances)
  5. Documents supporting any other source of financial support you have
  6. Copy of your study permit and work permit (if applicable)
  7. Status letter from ISS confirming your student status and the duration of your studies
  8. Although your spouse may get a work permit and may look for employment, immigration will not take into consideration the possibility of this additional income when assessing financial support.
  9. Immigration guidelines on financial support (under review) suggest the following amounts (per year):tuition plus $10,000 for a student plus $4000 for a spouse or family member and $3000 for each child.


The reasons for your spouse/family member to return to their country

  1. Letters from employers stating that your spouse/family members are expected to return to a position
  2. Any other information that would indicate that they plan to return home


The processing time for your spouse or family member's visa application will vary depending on the individual visa office.