Skip to main content

A study permit is also referred to as a "student visa". You will need a study permit in order to study in Canada legally. However, a study permit is not a travel document and does not authorize entry into Canada. Information on extending your study permit is to the bottom of this page.

*Ryerson University‚Äôs Designated Learning Institution (DLI) Number is: O19395677651


How to Apply for or Renew a Study Permit

A. First Time Application for a Study Permit (Outside of Canada)

Apply for your Study Permit at the nearest Canadian Embassy, Consulate or High Commission as soon as possible. You may also need to apply for a Temporary Resident Visa if one is required for citizens of your country. The study permit application will need the following:

  1. Original Offer of Admission from Ryerson (i.e. "Approval Information for Immigration Purposes")
  2. Two photos as specified by Appendix B of the application guide. On the back of the two photos, write your name and date of birth
  3. Proof of sufficient funds or a reliable source of such funds, to cover the cost of tuition and living expenses for the duration of your program
  4. Medical examination (if required)
  5. Application fee of $150 in Canadian dollars. Verify acceptable methods of payment with the visa office responsible for your area.
  6. Completed application form (PDF) IMM 1294
  7. Completed Family Information Form (PDF) IMM 5645
  8. Other items as specified in the (PDF) document checklist and by the Canadian Embassy, High Commission or Consulate in your country, along with your country's regulations
  • Ensure that you have your letter of introduction confirming the approval of your study permit application before entering Canada as study permits are not issued outside of Canada.
  • Citizens of the U.S., Greenland, St. Pierre and Miquelon may apply for a Study Permit at the border upon entering Canada by providing the required documentation listed above.
  • If a minor child, under the age of 18, is coming to study at Ryerson, they will need a custodian in Canada.


For more information about applying for a study permit for the first time, visit Citizenship and Immigration Canada's website and contact an International Student Advisor at ISS.


B. Extending or Changing the Conditions of a Study Permit

Students must actively pursue their studies at a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) while in Canada, failing to do so could result in removal from Canada. If you are ALREADY studying in Canada, you must ensure that your current Study Permit remains valid. International students can extend or change the conditions of their current Study Permit from within Canada:

  1. By applying online at the IRCC's website.  Students are required to create a MyCIC account, fill out an electronic application form, pay the application fee of $150 CDN and upload the supporting documents which are listed below.

  2. By mail to:

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada - Study Permit
Case Processing Centre -Vegreville
6212 - 55th Avenue, Unit 101
Vegreville, AB
T9C 1X5


Documents required:

  1. Request a Ryerson Status Letter from ISS confirming your full-time enrollment at Ryerson, to include with your study permit application. Click here for more information.

  2. Complete an "(PDF) Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Student [IMM 5709]". You may also pick up a copy of this form at ISS in POD-50A.

  3. Your academic transcript is generally not a required document for extending your Study Permit. Should you choose to include the transcript in your application; you may print and include a copy of your unofficial transcript from RAMSS.

  4. See Pay your fees on the IRCC website to learn how you can pay your application fees. Your payment options will depend on where are you are paying from, and what you are paying for.

  5. Obtain all other documents as listed on the "(PDF) Document Checklist (IMM 5555)" to ensure that your application is complete. The completed document checklist must be submitted with your application.

N.B. Visit the Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website for up-to-date information about current application processing times.

You are encouraged to speak with an International Student Advisor who can assist you with your study permit application by calling 416-979-5000 ext. 6655 or email