Skip to main content

A Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) is also referred to as an Entry Visa. You will need a TRV to enter Canada unless you are from a country that is exempted from this requirement. You can review the list of countries and territories whose citizens need an entry visa to enter Canada, to determine if you need to apply for a TRV.

Applying for a TRV (if required):

  1. By applying online at the IRCC's website.  Students are required to create a MyCIC account, fill out an electronic application form, pay the application fee of $100 CDN and upload the supporting documents which are listed below.

  2. By mail to (for applicants from within Canada):

CPP – Ottawa
P. O. Box 9640

Ottawa, ON, K1G 6T2


CPP – Ottawa
Temporary Resident Visa Section
365 Laurier Avenue West
Ottawa, ON K1A 1L1

Please visit the CIC website for detailed mailing instructions. For inquiries regarding Temporary Resident Visa applicantions from within Canada:

           Fax: (613) 946-6059

  1. Complete the application package from Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada. Note that each individual applicant must complete his or her own application form, even if individuals are traveling as a family. Applicants who are under the age of 18 must have their form signed by a parent or guardian.

    The application form must be completed electronically (by typing in the information rather than handwriting). Before you print your application form, make sure to click the "Validate" button. When submitting your completed and signed application form, you must include the last page (page 5 of 5) that will contain your data in barcodes.

  2. Request a Ryerson Status Letter from International Student Support (ISS) that confirms your enrollment as a Ryerson student.

  3. Request a copy of your transcript from the Enrollment Services and Student Fees office.

  4. Pay the required processing fee of $100 CDN. If you are submitting your application to the Case Processing Pilot: Ottawa office, you must make the payment online.

  5. Gather and complete all required documents, as outlined in the Document Checklist (IMM 5484).


  • If you are not planning to send your TRV application to CPP: Ottawa, please refer to the following list to locate your nearest Canadian embassy, high commission or consulates abroad.

  • In the event that you are asked to attend an interview at a visa office abroad (e.g. Canadian Consulate) and you are unable to attend, it is important to cancel the appointment. If you don't notify the visa office that you are not able to attend the interview, there will be a note of "refusal of a TRV" in your immigration file. On the other hand, if you cancel the interview beforehand, the note will simply indicate that the TRV application has been withdrawn.

Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

  • Visa-exempt foreign nationals travelling to Canada now require an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to visit Canada.  Exceptions include U.S. citizens and travelers who have a valid Temporary Resident Visa (TRV).   If you are from a visa-exempt country ( and you received your study permit on or before July 31st, 2015, you will require an eTA as of March 15, 2016 to fly or transit to Canada.  

  • If you received an initial study permit on or after August 1st, 2015, you will automatically be issued an eTA with your permit.

  • Please note that an eTA will not be issued for study permit renewal applications.  You must apply for a new eTA as soon as possible before the leniency period ends on September 29, 2016.  If you have questions about whether or not you require an eTA, please contact us.