Skip to main content

Citizens of some countries are allowed to enter the United States (U.S.) without a visa if they meet certain detailed criteria of the Visa Waiver Program. For more information, visit the U.S. Embassy website.

Appointment and Interview

The application processing fee of $160 USD must be paid before you can book an appointment. Students can click here to get more information about fees and payments options. You are required to make an appointment for an interview if you do not fall under the Visa Waiver Program and are between the ages of 16 and 60-years-old..

Appointments can be scheduled by:

  1. Credit card online at
  2. Calling 647-955-3736 (in Toronto area) or 877-341-2241 (from elsewhere in Canada)

You will need the following before scheduling an appointment:

  1. Your passport number
  2. Proof that the visa application fee has been paid
  3. Your Non-immigrant Visa Electronic Application, DS-160 confirmation number (barcode)

Please do not bring food or electronic equipment such as cell phones, cameras, recording devices, or tape/CD players with you, as these are not allowed into the Consulate waiting area. Consulate security personnel do not have means to store items for you.

Required Documentation (Original Documents)

  1. Completed DS-160 Non-Immigrant Visa Application (available from the U.S. Consulate)
  2. Passport or travel document valid for at least 6 months beyond the expected date of entry into the U.S.
  3. Study Permit issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada
  4. Ryerson Status Letter. You can request this letter from the ISS office or online.
  5. Academic transcript from the Enrollment Services and Student Fees office
  6. A recent frontal passport photo (2 x 2 inches in size)
  7. Proof of your intention to depart the United States (e.g. return air ticket), if available
  8. If you were previously in the U.S., any documents attesting to your status
  9. Criminal/court records pertaining to any arrest or conviction, even if later pardoned
  10. Translation into English of any non-English document
  11. Proof of visa fee payment of  $160 USD application fee
  12. Proof of funds e.g. six months of bank statements
  • Citizens of Cuba, North Korea, the Peoples Republic of China, Russia, and Vietnam who are 16 years or older must provide two application forms and two photos for each applicant.
  • A Canadian Study Permit is NOT a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV/Entry Visa) to Canada, however, international students traveling to the US ONLY do not require a valid TRV in order to re-enter Canada. For more information on this exemption policy please contact ISS.

NOTE: Applicants who will be traveling to the U.S. for purposes other than tourism (such as study or work), please book an appointment with an International Student Advisor for more information. You can contact ISS at 416-979-5000 ext. 6655 or message us.

For more information about traveling to the United States, send a written request and self-stamped envelope to the United States Consulate General at the address below or contact the Toronto U.S. Consulate office at 416-595-1700.

Consulate General of the United States of America, [Non-Immigrant Visa Unit], 360 University Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, M5G 1S4