Skip to main content

Effective June 1, 2014, new regulations have taken affect that make it easier for full-time international students pursuing academic degrees and who hold valid study permits to work off-campus.

A work permit is no longer required for international students enrolled in full-time programs who are in possession of a valid study permit.   If a co-op or internship is an essential part of your program (i.e. work placement is required for graduation), you will need to apply for a co-op work permit.  Students who complete a program of full-time study may be eligible to apply for the post-graduation work permit that allows you to work in Canada after graduation.  All people who work in Canada must have a valid Social Insurance Number (SIN).

Canadian work culture may differ from what you are used to in your home country.  If you have never worked before, finding a job for the first time may be confusing.  There are resources on campus to help you reach your professional development goals that an International Student Advisor will be happy to share with you.

This section provides helpful information regarding on-campus job opportunities such as the ISS Work Experience Program (ISSWEP), how to obtain a SIN, and information about applying for student work permits.

To make an appointment regarding working in Canada, please contact us by calling 416-979-5000, extension 6655 or emailing