Communities are complex entities with their own needs, structures and rules — and planners are the ones who guide their operation and promote their growth. Drawing on their understanding of land-use concepts and strategies, planners create and implement plans to develop and enhance regional, urban, suburban and rural communities.
Ryerson graduates advise on planning decisions related to social, economic, cultural, land-development, transportation, resource and development, environmental and heritage issues.
Planners support positive community development by:
- Enhancing interconnections among community assets
- Identifying and equitably addressing a community’s diverse needs and aspirations
- Supporting open participation in decision-making
- Reconciling competing interests through compromise and negotiation
- Forecasting future needs and pathways for development