Skip to main content
Faculty of Community Services

Urban Development (MPl) FAQs

Don’t see your question here? Check the Graduate Studies Admissions FAQ for more information about admissions and the application process.

Program information

Is urban planning a suitable profession for me?

Check out the Canadian Institute of Planners (CIP) website for an excellent introduction to urban planning. The Ontario Professional Planners Institute website also has helpful resources about the profession of urban planning.

Is the Ryerson program right for me?

We encourage all applicants to become thoroughly familiar with the Ryerson Urban Development (MPl) program before applying. To help you learn more about our program, we recommend that you:

Is it available on a part-time basis?

No, the Urban Development (MPl) program is only available on a full-time basis.

Is it accredited by CIP?

Yes, the Ryerson Urban Development (MPl) program is accredited by the Canadian Institute of Planners.

What funding is available?

There are a number of internal and external funding opportunities that can support you to pursue graduate studies. These include scholarships, awards, bursaries, assistantships and more.

Please note that some scholarships, such as the Ontario Graduate Scholarship, are extremely competitive.

How much does it cost?

The fees for the program change every year but are typically around $3,500 per term. There are three terms per year.

What is the typical class and studio size?

Required courses typically consist of 35 students, while elective courses consist of 25 to 30 students. In studio, students tend to work in groups of seven or eight.

Do I need to arrange my own internship?

We do offer some internships, however, encourage you to choose and make your own arrangements. 

Will I get paid for the internship?

Internships are not paid positions however, agencies may decide to compensate on their own.

How long is the internship?

Internships are typically six weeks long. Some may be longer.

Is there a residency requirement?

Yes. You must complete at least 50% of the program’s degree course requirements and the Major Research Paper/Project while continuously registered as a graduate student at Ryerson University.


What are the admission requirements?

Ryerson’s Urban Development (MPl) program is challenging and intensive. We enroll approximately 35 students every year, selected from a highly competitive applicant pool.

International applicants are asked to contact the Urban Development office directly, to discuss eligibility, prior to starting their application.

To be considered for admission to Ryerson’s Master of Planning (MPl) in Urban Development, you must meet the minimum program requirements:

Two-year Regular Stream

A four-year honours bachelor's degree (or equivalent) with a minimum GPA of 3.00/4.33 (B) in the last two years of study from a recognized university.

A significant majority of our students do not have a previous degree in urban planning.

All applicants are expected to have passed a university-level course in statistics.



One-year Accelerated Stream

Applicants must have a four- or five-year professionally-accredited bachelor's degree in Planning with a minimum GPA of 3.00/4.33 (B).

Applicants must also have professional experience working directly in the field of planning with progressive responsibility of no less than five consecutive calendar years of full-time employment. Note that internship and co-op experience is not counted. Applicants should be provisional or full members of a recognized provincial, state or national planning institute or regulatory body.

Applicants with a bachelor's degree and an exceptional record of practice over an established career of 5 or more consecutive years directly in planning may be considered for admission on a case-by-case basis.

All applicants must have passed a university-level course in statistics.

How do I apply?

Visit Admissions for Urban Development (MPl) to learn more about:

  • Admissions requirements
  • Application deadlines
  • Application process
  • Required documents

Email with your admissions questions.

When should I submit my application?

Admissions for Ryerson's Master of Planning in Urban Development typically open in October.

Submit your application by the first consideration deadline to be guaranteed consideration for admission and scholarships.

We’ll notify first consideration applicants of admissions decisions in early March, and will notify all other applicants of an admissions decision on a rolling basis.

We will continue to accept applications until all available spots are filled.

*Please be aware that once you have completed the OUAC portion of the application, it can take up to five business days to receive the email containing instructions on how to create your Ryerson identity and upload your supplementary documents into the system.

I completed my bachelor’s degree at a college. Can I apply?

Yes. Generally, we accept degrees from any degree-granting institution and look at applications on a case-by-case basis.

I am not sure whether I’m eligible for the One-year Accelerated Stream.

Review the admissions requirements to determine your eligibility. If you think that you are qualified for the One-year Accelerated Stream, then please apply for that program. If the admissions committee decides that you are ineligible, then they will automatically consider you for the Two-year Regular Stream.

Do I need to take the GMAT and/or GRE?

No, neither is required for the Urban Development (MPl) program.

What can be counted towards the statistics course requirement?

If you have completed a statistics course, the course will be recorded on your official transcript(s). If you are unsure, please submit the course description, course outline, course code and name of the university of study for your course to be evaluated.

Can I apply without a statistics course?

Yes. If you are accepted, you will be given a conditional offer which states that you have to complete the statistics course before starting the program. If you do not complete the statistics course before beginning the program, your offer will be revoked.

How do you calculate my GPA?

Visit Calculating Your GPA for more information.

Do I request a supervisor when I apply?

The selection and assignment of your supervisor will take place when the topic of your Major Research Paper/Project (MRP) is determined (typically in your second year).

When you apply online, the OUAC site will ask you to identify a supervisor. This is not a mandatory field and you should leave it blank. 

When are admissions decisions released?

Admissions decisions typically begin in mid- to late-February and continue until the program is filled.

Each planning school in Ontario has its own timeline and process. All of our admissions offers are time-limited. There is no coordinated offer of admission date which means that you may receive an offer from one school and have to make a decision before hearing from others.

I don’t know how to use the software programs. Will we get training?

Although you are not required to be proficient in using a specific software package, it is beneficial to have working knowledge of Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Suite (PDF maker, Photoshop, Illustrator). 

How many students do you accept each year?

We enrol approximately 35 students each year, which means that we have about 70 students enrolled in the program at any time.

Can I discuss my application with someone?

Almost all of your questions can be answered by reading the material we recommend in the FAQs above and by watching our admissions video. If you have further questions, please email the graduate program administrator.

I wasn’t accepted. Can I meet with someone to discuss my application?

We are lucky to have a large number of qualified applicants each year. While we understand that it is disappointing to not be accepted, we have a firm policy that no one from our program will meet to discuss unsuccessful applications.