Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Future Students

Are there accessibility services for students who need the support?

Ryerson University is committed to providing an accessible learning and employment environment for students, employees and members of the Ryerson community. We are committed to the principles of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), and aim to ensure that dignity, integration and equality of opportunity are embedded in all aspects of the University culture.


The core principles of the Access Centre for Students with Disabilities at Ryerson are facilitation, education, and inclusion. Our overall mission is to participate, with the university, in creating an accessible learning environment for students. Our specific mandate is to facilitate and support accessibility and inclusion through education and academic accommodation for the diverse mix of students with disabilities in order for each to fully participate in his/her academic experience at Ryerson.

Can I live on campus while I attend school?

Ryerson University has three student residences (Pitman Hall, ILLC, O'Keefe House) that can house 840 students. Ryerson also has an off-campus housing registry that provides lists of off-campus accommodation as well as information on how to make your search easier. Visit Ryerson's Housing Services for further details.

How do I apply for transfer credits?
Transfer Credits are granted using the post-secondary courses you completed at accredited institutions before being admitted to Ryerson. Accepted Transfer Credits impact your program curriculum by allowing you to avoid repeating coursework and graduate sooner. You will have to follow the instructions off of the Transfer credit website to apply for these credits.
How long do I have to complete the program?
  • Full-Time Students Admitted to First Year: 8 years
  • Full-Time Students Direct Entry Admitted to Semester 5: 4 years
  • Part-Time Admitted to First Year: 14 years
  • Part-Time Direct Entry Admitted to Semester 5: 7 years

If you have exceeded your time span, you will be Discontinued and will be unable to enroll in classes. You must seek a time span extension to continue your studies. The granting of time span extensions is done by the Chair of each department. Please select the appropriate major, to see who you need to email to request an extension.

How many courses do I have to take in order to graduate?
In the Part-time and Full-time degree program, there are a total of 42 courses. As a Direct Entry student, there are a total of 20 courses (plus your assigned Reachback courses) needed to complete your BComm. Full-time students may enroll in a maximum of 7 courses/semester; part-time students may enroll in a maximum of 3 courses/semester.
How many hours a week will I spend in class?

Most classes run 3 hours a week. The time spent in class during a week is dependent upon the amount of courses a student is enrolled in during the semester. In your first year at the School of Business Management you can take up to 6 courses a semester, which is 18 hours of class per week. In the upper years of your degree with a full course-load you can expect to be in class for approximately 15 hours per week.

Is Accounting and Finance offered as a major at the School of Business Management?

Accounting and Finance is no longer being offered as a major within the School of Business Management. Students interested in majoring in Accounting or Finance must apply directly to the School of Accounting and Finance


Current students in the School of Business Management admitted prior to fall 2013 wishing to major in Accounting or Finance must declare their major by September 2015.


Direct Entry students admitted to TRSBM will still be able to major in Accounting or Finance (last year of admittance was Fall 2014).


Full-time and part-time students admitted into the first year of the Ted Rogers School of Business Management program starting fall 2013, will not be able to major in Accounting or Finance. A minor in Accounting or Finance will still be available.

Is it possible to have program information mailed to me?

We no longer mail information out, however the Ted Rogers School of Business Management and Ryerson University provide all program information online. Here are links that are important for prospective students to know:

What Maths do I need for admission into the program?
If you are applying to the School of Business Management you can apply with any of the U level math courses – Advanced Functions (MHF4U), Calculus and Vectors (MCV4U) and/or Mathematics of Data Management (MDM4U). However, it is strongly recommended that you have Calculus and Vectors (MCV4U).
What is co-op and do you have it?


Co-operative education at the Ted Rogers School of Management and Ryerson University is a program designed to provide students with work experiences that complement their academic studies. It gives them the opportunity to connect their knowledge and skills to the world around them. Co-op integrates a student’s academic learning with workplace learning in fields relevant to the student’s academic and professional goals.


By alternating between academic terms and work terms, Co-op students have the opportunity to gain valuable hands-on experience in their chosen field of study, earn an income to offset the cost of education, build a network of contacts for future employment and enhance their overall academic experience.


What majors are offered at the Ted Rogers School of Business Management?

Your selected major will appear on your degree and transcript. Students enrolled in the School of Business Management can choose to major in one of the subject areas below:

Accounting and Finance is no longer being offered as a major within the School of Business Management. Students interested in majoring in Accounting or Finance must apply directly to the School of Accounting and Finance

What other kind of services are there for new students?

The Ted Rogers School of Management Student Services supports all students taking management courses by providing: one-on-one learning strategy appointments with peers or full-time staff, offers free tutoring and study groups, and connects students to resources that can help them address any barriers they may encounter during their time at TRSM.

Ryerson's Student Services include Learning Support Services. Plus there is a Writing Centre on campus, which is a popular and free resource for students. The Centre helps students hone their writing skills so they can produce better assignments and essays. There is also a Mathematics Centre.

If you have weaknesses in mathematics and statistics, the Mathematics Centre can help you diagnose and correct them. This Centre is available once you have exhausted the usual approaches - consulting the course instructor, attending tutorials and labs, and participating in classes. Tutors are prepared to help with introductory courses in calculus, linear algebra and statistics or with background courses in general mathematics.

There are other resources available to our students, all of which are listed on the Ryerson Student Services .

What type of degree will I receive when I graduate?
After successful completion of all degree course requirements, you will receive a Bachelor of Commerce (BComm) degree from the Ted Rogers School of Management at Ryerson University. Your diploma will also include your major on it, however if you choose to do a minor it will not show up on your diploma. Minors are documented on your official transcript.
What will first year at School of Business Management program be like?

First year is a fun and exciting time, but will also involve a lot of work too! During the year you will meet tons of new people and have a lot of new academic experiences (lectures, labs and tutorials to name a few). This is a time for you to explore the different opportunities and resources that exist at the Ted Rogers School of Management and Ryerson University.

Your first year in the program will be a general year where you take several introductory courses that expose you to the different subject areas. This will prepare you for the rest of your studies and help you decide on what you would like to major in. The School of Business Management is made up of seven unique majors. Your major is the subject area that you specialize in, meaning that there will be a certain amount of mandatory courses that you will need to take in that subject area to complete your major.

Current Students

Are there tutoring or study groups available?

There are tutoring and study groups available through the Student Services department within TRSBM located in TRS 2-168.


They can be contacted through or phone: 416-979-5000 ext. 2435. Learn more about the academic support offered to TRSBM students.

How can I declare my Minor?
You can only declare your minor AFTER you have applied to graduate. After you have done this, the option to select a minor will appear on RAMSS.
How do I declare/change my Plan/Major?

During your first year, in your second semester, you can declare your major once online through RAMMS. This takes place during the course intention period near the end of the second semester in March. If you no longer have access or want to make subsequent changes after you have declared your major in first year you must use the Plan Change Form. Please visit the Course Selection Instructions page for detailed instructions on how to declare your major.

How do I view my Advisement Report?

Your Advisement Report is accessible through your RAMMS account under My Academics. To get more support on how to run this report please visit RAMMS Support for step-by-step instructions.


The Advisement Report is a tool for Full-time Undergraduate degree students that shows all of the courses you have taken, been granted transfer credit for, or are enrolled in as well as those courses needed in order for you to graduate.


We strongly recommend running an Advisement Report before and after adding or dropping courses and before applying to graduate.

How do course prerequisites affect my course choices?

Prerequisites are courses that must be completed (or transfer credits granted in the course) prior to the second course being completed. Many courses have prerequisites associated with them and they are listed at the end of the specific course description in the Undergraduate Calendar.


If you are missing a prerequisite, you will be prevented from adding the course. Many courses list as part of the prerequisite the phrase “or Direct Entry”. This means that, as a Direct Entry student, you are deemed to have met the prerequisites for the course as long as the prerequisite is not an assigned Reachback, and as long as the course is one of your REQUIRED or PROFESSIONAL courses.


Make sure you plan the sequence of your courses so that you will have the appropriate prerequisites for any course you want to take. Always check the new Undergraduate Calendar for each year for any changes.

How many exams can I have in a day?
You can have a maximum of two exams in one calendar day. Please refer to the student policies website for more information.
I need advice regarding a Grade Appeal or Standing Appeal. Where can I go for help?

Please read information regarding Appeals and visit the Ryerson Students' Union’s website for advice on the Appeal process.


For advice on your appeal, please contact the following:

  • Full-time undergraduate and graduate program students: Student Issues and Advocacy Coordinator at the Ryerson Students’ Union (416-979-5255 ext. 2322).
  • Part-time undergraduate program and Chang School students: Student Rights Coordinator at the Continuing Education Student Association of Ryerson New Window (416-979-5000 ext. 7716).
  • All students may contact The Centre for Student Development and Counselling (416-979-5195) or the Ombudsperson (416-979-5000 ext.7450).
I need help with RAMSS (e.g. cannot add, drop or swap a course, cannot view Advisement Report, etc.). Where can I go for help?

For full details about RAMSS please visit their RAMSS support page or contact them by email or phone.

RAMSS Support:

My Advisement Report is incorrect. Who do I contact?

Please contact or visit the Curriculum Advising website to inform the University of the error and to get it rectified.

My status is a) Probationary, b) Required to Withdraw or c) Permanent Program Withdrawal. What does this mean? Who should I speak with?

These refer to your academic standing in your program. That means you could be experiencing some difficulty with your studies and you need to contact the appropriate advisor. Please click here [link to academic success page] for important information on your standing.


Student Achievement Advisor: Alexander Ruvuza

Required to Withdraw and Permanent Program Withdrawal

  • Coordinator, Student Success: Joanne Di Bratto
  • Office Location: TRS 1-004
  • 416-979-5000 ext. 6708
There is a 'Hold' on my account. Who do I contact?
Please email or call 416-979-5071.
What Minors can I choose from?
There are various minors available to students in the TRSBM program that are offered both within the Ted Rogers School of Management and in other faculties. To see a full list of minors available to our students please visit the course calendar. For information on completing a minor be sure to read the Minors Policy.
Where can I find important information about dropping courses and applicable deadlines?

Please refer to our undergraduate calendar webpage for the drop deadlines and fees. The fees schedule is available as well.

Which Undergraduate Calendar should I follow?

Part-time Students admitted into the Part-time degree program should follow the requirements of the calendar printed in the year they were admitted (i.e. A student is admitted into the Part-time degree program in Fall 2011 and so they would follow the calendar printed 2011/2012). Please be advised that over the course of your academic career, course prerequisites may change and courses may be added/removed from your program.


Full-time Students admitted into the Full-time degree program should follow the requirements for the year they are admitted, and review the new calendar each subsequent year for the new semester’s requirements. i.e. A student is admitted into the program in Fall 2011 in year one, and therefore follows the 2011/2012 calendar for first year, 2012/2013 for second year requirements, 2013/2014 for third year requirements and 2014/2015 for the final year requirements).

Which document will my major and or minor appear on?
Majors will be displayed on your degree and transcript issued by Ryerson University. Minors are only listed on your transcript.