Skip to main content


See separate document for FAQ information for the following categories

Is there a student handbook for HSM and HIM students?

Yes, we have a HSM and HIM Student Handbook available. 

What is a Ryerson “online identity”? Do I have to have one?

All students must register for an online identity.  Your online identity allows you to access, which is the hub for student courses and registration. Your student identity also becomes your Ryerson Gmail account.  For instance, if your Ryerson online ID is jane.doe, then your Ryerson Gmail account would be

What if I do not want a Ryerson Gmail account?

All Ryerson students are required to activate and monitor their Ryerson Gmail account. The School of Health Services Management and the Office of the Registrar send all important announcements via Ryerson Gmail accounts only. All communications with the University must be through a Ryerson Gmail account. 

What is a ONE card? Do I have to get one?

The OneCard is the official identification card for the Ryerson University community.  As well as being your ID card while on campus, it also serves as a convenience card for many services on campus, including the library, printing and photocopying, food purchases, discounts (such as TTC and movie theatres) and savings. 

New Fall 2016 Ryerson Undergraduate and Graduate Program Students must apply online for their OneCard. Online Application opens June 1 to August 15, 2016. Please view the OneCard website for more information. 

How do I get a OneCard?

For more information about obtaining a OneCard please visit the following page:

You can contact the OneCard office at: 416-979-5000, Ext 7565, or 

PHONE:  416.979.5000 ext 7565
PHONE:  416.979.5000 ext 7565
PHONE:  416.979.5000 ext 7565
Can I use the Library? How do I get access?

All students have access to online Library Resources via  and via the on-campus Library.  For on-campus Library privileges, students must present a valid OneCard.

How do I register for classes?

Most students register for classes via RAMSS self-service.  For detailed instructions on how to add, drop and swap classes visit RAMSS

I followed the instructions to add a course, but none of my courses are showing? Why not?

HSM and HIM program courses are offered through the Chang School for Continuing Education, so your course code must always be entered as a Chang School course option (e.g. CHSM instead of HSM). For detailed instructions on how to register for Chang School course sections in RAMSS, please see the HSM and HIM Student Handbook.

How do I pay my course fees?

Most students pay their fees like a bill payment via their online banking.  Undergraduate students may also pay in person at Student Services. For more information regarding student fees, please contact the Cashier’s Office at 416-979-5015 or visit the Registrar's fees page

Do I have to take my courses in order?

Courses are divided between Level 1 and Level 2.  The prerequisite structure is designed so that students take most of their Level 1 courses before moving on to Level 2.   The important thing is to follow the prerequisite structure.

Which course should I take first?

CHSM 301: The Healthcare Systems is a prerequisite course for many other courses in the program.  It is highly recommended that you take CHSM 301 first.

Is there a guide to show me which order to take courses in?

There is a planning document available under Student Resources.

How many courses should I take per term?

Most students take 2 courses per term.  This will allow you to complete the program in 4 years.

Do I have to take 2 courses per term? Can I take more than 2 courses?

Students may take as many courses per term as they like, but the courses are designed for a part-time program, so you will be limited as to availability and prerequisite structure.

What if I want to take a term off?

Students may take up to THREE terms in succession without taking a course, but this is not recommended.  After three successive terms with no registration, they will be deemed INACTIVE and not eligible to enroll in courses. When this happens, students have to contact their department and request to be reactivated for the term. 

If a student goes up to SIX semesters with no course completions, they will be DISCONTINUED from the program. When this happens, students have to REAPPLY for admission to the program through the undergraduate admissions office. Re-admittance is NOT guaranteed.

It is highly recommended that students take a minimum of one course per term in order to stay on track to completion.

How do I appeal a grade?

All information regarding Appeals can be found on the Appeals website.

How do I order transcripts?

Transcripts are ordered online via RAMSS, in person, or via mail.  The easiest and fastest way is online via RAMSS.

How do I apply to graduate?

Students apply to graduate via RAMSS.

How do I find out more about graduation ceremonies?

For all information regarding graduation, please visit Ryerson's Convocation Website.

What is Practicum?

Practicum is the capstone course in both the HSM and HIM program.  For more information please see the practicum section of this website.

Which Faculty does the School of Health Services Management belong to?

The School of Health Services Management is part of the Ted Rogers School of Management.

Is the School accredited?

The School of Health Services Management is proud to acknowledge its accreditation by The Association of University Programs in Health Administration (AUPHA).

Is the program full-time or part-time or both?

The School specializes in part-time degree completion programs. A full-time option is NOT offered at this time.

What degree will I graduate with?

Both the Health Services Management and Health Information Management programs result in a Bachelor of Health Administration.

What does "degree completion" mean?

Degree completion means that your previous education (diploma or degree) will constitute years 1 and 2 of a four-year Bachelor degree, and your work in the School of Health Services Management will be equal to years 3 and 4 of a four-year Bachelor degree.

Where is the School located?

The central location for the program is at Ryerson University and classroom- based courses are offered at the campus in downtown Toronto. Most HSM and HIM program courses are offered in the Ted Rogers School of Management at 55 Dundas Street West.

How are courses taken? Online or in class?

Courses are offered in various formats, including classroom-based courses offered in the evenings, modular courses offered on the weekends, and distance learning options.

What is a modular course?

A modular format consists of 3 weekends in the semester in which the student attends classes all day Friday and Saturday, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.. The students will attend class a total of 6 full days in the semester.

How many credits do I have to take to graduate?

To fulfil the requirements of the Health Services Management, students take 22 one-semester courses. To fulfil the requirements of the Health Information Management program, students take 24 one-semester courses. Some students in the Health Services Management program may be required to take up to 2 additional liberal studies requirements, to be determined at the time of Admission.

Can I take my entire degree online?

The Health Information Management program is offered online, however, ALL students will be required to attend at least two final Practicum seminars in Toronto, in their final semester of classes.

Can I take the Health Services Management program online?

The Health Services Management is NOT guaranteed to be offered in an online format only, however, many courses are offered in an online format. Health Services Management students should expect to take several courses in evening class or in modular format.

I have never worked in healthcare before. Is this degree for me?

The Health Services Management and Health Information Management part-time programs are designed for people currently working in applied health or health information management.

I live in a province other than Ontario. Is this program for me?

The Health Information Management program is for students all across Canada and all courses except final Practicum are offered online. The Health Services Management program currently requires some on-site classroom attendance; therefore, students must be able to attend courses on campus.

I took a health-related Certificate at the Chang School, but I do not meet the Admissions requirements. Can my Certificate substitute for the Admissions requirements?

None of the certificate programs provide entry to the degree programs without having the required academic and work-related Admissions requirements.

I would like to take the Health Information Management program but I am not CHIMA certified. Can I still be in the program?

Students applying to the HIM program must be CHIMA certified by the time they begin the HIM program.

Will my diploma from a private college in Canada qualify for admission to the School of Health Services Management?

Diplomas awarded from private colleges in Canada do not qualify for admittance to either program. Only diplomas from public CAAT (College of Applied Arts and Technology) in Ontario or the like in other provinces will be considered.

How long will this program take to complete?

Most students take approximately 4 years to complete the program, taking an average of 2 courses per semester.

Can I take courses in the summer?

Most students take courses throughout the year, in all three semesters; Fall, Winter, and Spring/Summer.

Do I have to take a certain number of courses each semester?

Students may work through the program at their own pace, however, they must complete the program within 8 years. Most students complete the program in 4 to 5 years.

How much does this program cost?

Students pay per course, so tuition is determined by how many courses you take per term. On average, courses are approximately $550 to $600 per course.

Does this program qualify for OSAP?

This program may allow for OSAP funding. Part-time or full-time OSAP status is determined by the number of courses taken per semester. More information is available via Student Financial Assistance, at 416-979-5113.

What is Practicum?

Practicum is the final capstone course in both the HSM and HIM programs and consists of two courses taken in the final semester of the program. Practicum will include a placement and research project at a real-world healthcare organization, as well as weekend seminars and presentations.

Can I substitute my work-related experience for Practicum?

Practicum is a requirement of the program, and all students must complete the Practicum courses (Practicum and Practicum seminar) in their final semester.

I already have a Bachelor's degree from another university. Will any of my courses be eligible for transfer?

Students must apply for transfer credit online once they are accepted into the program. Generally speaking, required "core" courses of the HSM and HIM programs will not be eligible for transfer. Elective courses and liberal studies may be more likely to be eligible for transfer.

What kind of job prospects can I expect after completing this program?

Our graduates find work as managers in the healthcare industry (e.g. hospitals, long term care facilities, community-based agencies, Ministry of Health, paramedic services)

Will this program qualify me for continuing education?

Many of our students continue to a Master's Degree level education. Examples of Masters-level studies are health policy, health studies, and MBA studies.

What is the difference between HSM and HIM?

In its most basic terms, HSM is about managing people and HIM is about managing information.  From a previous education perspective, HSM students should have a career and previous training in applied health (e.g. nursing, respirology, lab technician) whereas HIM students should have a diploma in HIM and should be certified by CHIMA.

Can I apply for both programs?

Yes, you can apply for both programs, but you will have to pay the application fee for two programs.

Can I take both programs simultaneously?

You may only be registered in one program, either HSM or HIM.

What if I start in HIM, but realize that I want to switch to HSM, or vice versa? Do I have to start all over?

If you wish to switch programs, you will need to re-apply to the new program via Admissions. 

If I switch programs, will any of my courses transfer over?

The HSM and HIM programs share 7 required courses and many electives (e.g. ACC 100 is required in both programs).  If you have taken any of the shared courses, and they total less than 50% of the total degree, those courses may be transferred into the new program.

What happens to my GPA if I transfer to the new program?

Only the courses taken under the new program will be included in your cumulative GPA, however, you may receive course credit for up to 50 % of the courses previously taken, provided that they qualify in the new program.

My previous education is in applied health, but I work in HIM. Can I apply to the HIM program?

If you are CHIMA certified, you can certainly apply to HIM.   All other situations will be assessed on a case by case basis.

Flexible Schedule

Students in the Health Services Management and Health Information Management programs have the option of taking courses online, in the evening or on weekends. They can also mix the various modes of study.