The Academic Success Centre is serving the Ted Rogers School of Management community virtually during the Fall 2021 term.
Peer-Assisted Learning Groups
Fall 2021 ASC Peer-Assisted Learning Policies
These policies outline the structure of PAL sessions as well as students’ responsibility for their own learning and contributing to a collegial learning environment.
- Peer-Assisted Learning (PAL) Sessions are 50 minutes in length and they start at 10 minutes past the hour.
- PAL attendance is voluntary and drop in (no registration required). A maximum of thirty-five (35) students can be assisted at a time by one (1) PAL Leader during a scheduled PAL session. If the maximum number of participants is reached, students may be asked to attend the next available PAL session.
- If a PAL Session needs to be cancelled, students will be notified immediately and at least 2 hours in advance when possible. This notification will be posted on the course D2L site and ASC social media.
- Student relationships with PAL Leaders are professional only. It is not appropriate to ask for a tutor's contact information to talk or meet outside of virtual tutoring or ask to copy their notes. Students should direct questions about course content to their Course Instructor. Questions about the PAL Program should be directed to email@example.com.
- PAL Sessions do not replace instruction in class. Students are responsible for keeping up with course content, including attending virtual classes and/or watching lecture or tutorial videos. PAL Leaders will not be teaching missed class content.
- Students are responsible for preparing for the PAL session, including familiarizing themselves with course materials before each virtual PAL session, coming to the session with specific questions, and being ready to participate actively and collaboratively with their peers.
- Students agree to complete a feedback form at the end of each PAL session.
- Students are responsible for having their own supplies, such as: device for connecting t Zoom, headphones/microphone for participating in sessions, calculator, textbook, paper, etc If students lack any necessary tech items, they should contact the TRSM Student Help Desk, opens in new window for support.
- Students are responsible for familiarizing themselves with the general features of Zoom, including: mute, video enabling, “raise your hand” feature, and chat function and using tip sheets available on the Ryerson Zoom website, opens in new window to assist. TRSM Academic Success Centre TRS 2-168 (8TH floor) 575 Bay Street (Entrance at 55 Dundas St. West) Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- PAL Leaders are not able to assist with material that will be graded, such as assignments, quizzes, take-home tests, etc. because it is against Ryerson Senate Policy 60: Academic Integrity.
- Students are partly responsible, along with their peers, to create and maintain a welcoming and accepting learning environment. They are expected to conduct themselves in accordance with the Student Code of Non-Academic Conduct as outlined in PDF fileSenate Policy 61. If students breach the policies of the Student Code of Non-Academic Conduct, Academic Success Centre staff will report and investigate the incident as well as take the advice of the Student Conduct Officer regarding PAL attendance privileges. Adhering to this code will be especially important when working with peers in breakout rooms.
- Students agree to read the ASC’s tip sheet on PDF fileNetiquette to prepare themselves for successful and respectful virtual tutoring sessions.
- The Academic Success Centre works to maintain safety and quality assurance by recording and securely storing PAL sessions. Attendance at these events is consent to such recordings. In addition, a member of staff from the Academic Success Centre may enter the Zoom session at any time to observe the PAL Leader and/or check in on the session. Students are not permitted to take screenshots or recordings of PAL sessions without consent of the Academic Success Centre team.
Fall 2021 PAL Sessions start
Have a question about PAL Sessions? Contact us at email@example.com, opens in new window
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, opens in new window in advance of your attendance to let us know if we can make any accommodations to ensure your inclusion in the PAL Sessions.