There are a number of tips you can follow to save and protect our waterways:
- Take five-minute showers.
- Turn off the tap when brushing your teeth.
- Install low-flush toilets.
- Use one drinking glass or reusable water bottle each day.
- Keep a pitcher of drinking water in the fridge.
- Use a small basin of water to wash fruit and vegetables.
- Direct downspouts to planted areas.
- Create a rain garden.
- Use organic mulch to protect plants and reduce watering.
- Volunteer with organizations that protect local waterways and shorelines by planting native plants.
- Do not dispose of chemicals or household waste such as paint in drains or sewers. Instead, contact your municipality about proper disposal.
- Clear roadside sewer grates of snow, debris and leaves, if safe to do so.