To create a folder, navigate to the DAM to the location of your DAM folder name.
- Click on your folder (in the left pane) and select the location where you want your new folder.
- Click New> New Folder
- In new window, add folder name
- do not use spaces, or characters (*%&,?), separate words with hyphens or underscores
- add a title
- the order of title and name is reversed from how they appear when creating a web page; a title is not a required field
- Click Create
DAM Folder Structure
We recommend that the DAM folder structure mirror the site content structure in the WCM (web content manager). This provides a visual reference of where digital assets belong or are used on your website.
Responsive images should be high resolution.
- Images should be PNG or JPG
- Do not use GIF files
Minimum sizes (in pixels):
- 800X600 (particularly for news, events and page grid displays)
- Homepage (full page width): 2000 by X
- Content width: 1200 by X
Please ensure that all images used in a slideshow are the same dimensions - same width and height.
When deciding on a height for slideshow images, choose a size that will not result in the slideshow being so large that it displaces critical content.
Optimize the file size of all images! Do not upload images in excess of 1 MB. Ideally, images (even slideshow images) should ideally be less than 600-700KB.
- Locate the appropriate subfolder to upload your digital asset.
- In the right-hand pane, click New>New File.
- Browse... to locate the file you want to upload from your computer.
- Click Open once you have located and selected the appropriate file to upload.
- Click Upload to add the file to the DAM.
- If you don't see your file, click the refresh button from the menu bar to refresh the list of files
- Digital assets will not be viewable on the live site until they are activated. To activate a file:
- Click on an asset, then click Activate in horizontal toolbar
- Right-click on the file and select Activate
Drag & Drop
Users can also drag and drop assets directly into their DAM folders.
- Rename files before uploading assets
- Use only letters, numbers, hyphens (or underscores)
- Do not use spaces in filename
- Images should be a minimum of 1200X900 pixels if you are unsure of your page layout (see Image Specifications above)
- Image file sizes should not exceed 600 KB
- Optimize and crop images prior to upload
- Acceptable file formats include:
- PDF, Word, PPT, etc.
- Files that should not be uploaded include:
- Video files - please use Ryecast or YouTube
- Executable files
When you open an asset (double click), you reveal its metadata information. We recommend adding a Title to your file that can serve as a default alternative text for screen readers.
You can also add a description, tags, copyright owner, as well as a litany of other information related to the file. You can also set a time for the asset to expire.
The References tab can provide you with a list of pages that are using a specific file.
After you make changes in this view, be sure to click Save at the bottom of the page
If you have an asset on the website that you need to update, we recommend that you create a new rendition of the file. Not only will it update the asset across the website but it will save you time by not having to remove the old asset and fix broken links.
To create a new rendition, open the file in the DAM and go to the Renditions tab.
Click Upload in the bottom right corner, then Browse...for the file you want to use to overwrite the current file.
Do not change the rendition name.
After you have added the new file, save your changes and reactivate the asset.
To rename an asset in the DAM, select the asset and choose Move/Rename from the toolbar; or, right-click ont he file and select Move/Rename.
- To change the location of a file, change the path in the Destination field to the folder where you want the asset moved. Click Move.
- To rename a file, change the name in the Rename to field. Do not change the file extension. Click Move.
- If the file is being moved to another folder and renamed - change both of the above fields. Click Move.
The process for adding documents, such as PDF or PPT files, is the same as uploading an image. Depending on the number of files you are uploading, and the size of those files, there may be a lag in the upload time.
Assets can be activated in multiple ways:
- Choose an asset, right click and select activate
- Click on an asset, and select activate from the horizontal toolbar
- Choose multiple assets by holding down the control button and selecting the assets you want to activate, then right click and select activate or use the activate button in the toolbar
- Activated items have green icons next to them, in the Published Column
- Deactivated assets have a red icon.
- Revisions have a blue icon.
- Pending activations have an orange icon.
Deactivating Assets - follow the same process and select "Deactivate"