If you are applying to the Design Fabrication Zone as a Company or Experimental Project, please note that we are only accepting applications for the Recovery Cohort
Applications are accepted on a continuous basis and will be screened bi-monthly or six times a year, in January, March, May, July, September, and November.
Applications will undergo an initial screening process, and successfully-screened applications will be invited to partake in an interview with the Admissions team.
The application process takes approximately 1 month from application to on-boarding.
If accepted, your company or projects will be granted a 4-month membership at no cost. After the initial three-month term, membership is subject to review and membership fees will apply.
Do you have an idea for a design-driven venture or product that’s ready to incubate?
An ideal DFZ startup is able to demonstrate the following:
- A business dedicated to solving a compelling problem along with a desire to innovate by design
- A driven, coachable and collaborative leadership team
- An initial version of a product concept and a need for further prototyping and/or product development
- A co-founder or lead collaborator dedicated to product development
- A defined business model and some form of market validation (preferred but not required)
Do you have a concept for a project or installation that will push the limits of design?
If your application is time-sensitive, please contact our Zone staff directly.
Join an existing team on a commercial startup or an experimental project and gain experience working in an entrepreneurial environment.
If you are a current Ryerson student, fill out the application for Associate Member, indicate your areas of interest, and attach a resumé. Our Start-up Experience Coordinator will then reach out to take you through the rest of the process and match you with a company in the Startup Stream or a project in the Experimental Stream, depending on your interest and skills.