Sophos is Ryerson's antivirus software. Here are the instructions to install Sophos on your computer.
If you currently have antivirus software installed on your computer, such as McAfee, as part of the installation you should uninstall this. Some antivirus software Sophos cannot uninstall and we recommend that you manually uninstall the software before attempting the Sophos install.
Complete the following steps to install Sophos:
This is a precautionary task to ensure your important data is backed up. CCS does not standardize on a method for backing up your files. Some employees have access to CFAPS which gives them limited space for backups. Another option would be to use removable media such as USB keys and drives, however do not to use this method for confidential data as these can be easily lost or stolen.
- From the CCS website for Security Downloads find Sophos for Mac and Download. You can now click on the link to download the software.
At the Connect to ai-apps.ryerson.ca screen, type in your my.ryerson username and password.
Click Log in.
- Save the zip file to a location of your choice where you can easily find it again.
- Locate the zip file that was downloaded and double click on the filename to unzip the package. Double click on the Sophos folder to see the Sophos Installer.
For macOS Sierra users installing Sophos for the first time, it is important to complete these steps:
- Unzip the Sophos package that was downloaded.
- Move the Sophos Installer.app to your desktop.
- Move the Sophos Installer Components folder to your desktop.
- Double click on the Sophos Installer.
- At the “Sophos Installer” is an application downloaded from the Internet. Are you sure you want to open it? window click Open.
- At the Introduction - Welcome to the Sophos Anti-Virus Installer window click Continue.
- At the License - Software License Agreement window, click Continue.
- When prompted To continue installing the software you must agree to the terms of the software license agreement. Click Agree.
- You will be prompted to enter your Mac password. Type your password and click Install Software.
- When the Installation was successful window displays, Sophos has been installed. Click Close to complete the process.
Note: Once installed Sophos updates every 20 minutes.
- Click the Sophos icon on the top menu bar and select Scan This Mac.
ORSelect Finder - Applications and double click Sophos Anti-Virus.
- At the Scan This Mac window click the play button to begin scanning.
- When the scan is completed the results are displayed.