Adan Jerreat-Poole PhD
I am a Mad/disabled nonbinary white settler living on the traditional territory of the Anishinaabe and Haudenosaunee nations. I’m interested in reimagining our relationships with each other, our bodies, and technology through an ethics of intimacy, access, and care. How can we use technology and media to transform our society and generate accessible futures? How can ethical feminist networks challenge the violence of settler capitalism? My work explores the way disabled queer and trans feminists use digital media as tools of collective care, community-building, and activism. I also look to science fiction and pop culture as sites to do this critical dreaming.
- Hybrid digital and analog forms
- Critical game design
- Crip futurity
- Science fiction
- Popular culture
- Chronic pain
- Universe Design: The Crip-Girl Cyborg in Speculative Futures
- Jerreat-Poole, A. (Forthcoming May 2021). The Boi of Feather and Steel. Metamorphosis duology. Toronto: Dundurn Press. Novel
- Jerreat-Poole, A. (September 2020). The Girl of Hawthorn and Glass. Metamorphosis duology. Toronto: Dundurn Press. Novel.
- Jerreat-Poole, A. (2019). Nonbinary: A Choose-Your-Own-Adventure. First Person Scholar. 2019. Videogame. http://www.firstpersonscholar.com/nonbinary-twine-game/
- Jerreat-Poole, A. (2019). In the Garden. The New Quarterly. 149. Short fiction.
- Jerreat-Poole, A. (2015). Easter Traditions. Qwerty Magazine. 34: 165-168. Short fiction.
- Jerreat-Poole, A. (2015). The Prime Meridian. Soliloquies Anthology. 19.2: 53-58. Short fiction.
- Jerreat-Poole, A. (2014). Zoning. The New Quarterly. 130: 133-134. Short fiction.
- Jerreat-Poole, A. (Forthcoming 2020). Chronic fem(me)bots: keywords for crip feminists. In MacDonald, S., Radzikowska, M., MacArthur, M., and Wiens, B.I. (eds) Digital Feminist Activisms: The Performances and Practices of Online Public Assemblies. Lanham: Lexington Press.
- Jerreat-Poole, A., & Brophy, S. (2020). Encounters with Kusama: disability, feminism, and the mediated Mad art of #InfiniteKusama. Feminist Media Studies. https://doi.org/10.1080/14680777.2020.1770313
- Jerreat-Poole, A. (2020). Sick, slow, cyborg: crip futurity in Mass Effect. Game Studies. http://gamestudies.org/2001/articles/jerreatpoole, external link
- Jerreat-Poole, A. (2019). Gamified suburban violence and the feminist pleasure of destructive play: rezoning warzones. In Saklofske, J., Arbuckle, A., and Bath, J. (eds) Feminist War Games?: Mechanisms of War, Feminist Values, and Interventional Games. Abingdon: Routledge.
- Jerreat-Poole, A. (2018). Avatars under attack: the war on women’s testimony. a/b: Auto/Biography Studies. 33.2: 473-482. https://doi.org/10.1080/08989575.2018.1445606, external link
- Jerreat-Poole, A. (2018). Mad/crip games and play: an introduction. First Person Scholar. Waterloo: University of Waterloo. http://www.firstpersonscholar.com/map-crip-intro/, external link
- Jerreat-Poole, A. (2017). Joysticks & killing joy: a game scholar’s take on Sara Ahmed’s Living a Feminist Life. First Person Scholar. Waterloo: University of Waterloo. http://www.firstpersonscholar.com/tag/living-a-feminist-life/, external link
- Jerreat-Poole, A. (2016). Playing autobiographically with depression. First Person Scholar. Waterloo: University of Waterloo. http://www.firstpersonscholar.com/playing-autobiographically-with-depression/, external link
- Joseph-Armand Bombardier Canada Graduate Scholarship, McMaster University, 2019-2020
- SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship, McMaster University, 2017- 2019