Dr. Sandra Tullio-Pow’s research is human centred at its core. Working in collaborative teams, recent projects include inventing clothing for extraordinary groups, specifically: police officers, patients in hospital rehabilitation programs, breast cancer survivors, women with lymphedema, women who wear plus size, and people with low vision. Her expertise is designing apparel solutions that consider the clothing taskscape to improve quality of life.
- User Experience/Human Centered Design
- Clothing for Special Needs
- Health Care & Wearable Technology
- 2017 – $50,000 – Toronto Police Services (research). Examination of uniform needs for neighbourhood officers. Principal Investigator: Tullio-Pow, S. Co-Investigators: Schaefer, K., Dell’Agnese, L., Chau, P.Y., White, T., Dares, J., Lee, D., & Kim, N.
- 2017 $14,320 – Liquor Control Board of Ontario (research). Examination of uniform needs. Principal Investigator: Tullio-Pow. S.
- Tullio-Pow, S., Schaefer, K., Nyhof-Young, J. & Strickfaden, M. (2020). Sleepwear for Breast Cancer Survivors: Enacting Inclusion Through Feminine Identity and Attachments in Langdon, P., Lazar, J., Heylighen, A. & Dong, H. (Eds) Designing for Inclusion: Inclusive Design: Looking towards the Future. Switzerland: Springer International Publishing AG, part of Springer Nature 2020.
- Tullio-Pow, S., & Strickfaden, M. (2020). Clothing Taskscape as an Approach Toward Assessment of User Needs. Clothing and Textiles Research Journal. https://doi.org/10.1177/0887302X20968818
- Tullio-Pow, S. (2019). Using the Clothing Taskscape for Uniform Redevelopment. ITAA 2019: Risk and Reward. Las Vegas, NV, Oct 25-29, 2019.
- Tullio-Pow, S., Schaefer, K., Dell’Agnese, L., Chau, P.Y., White, T., Dares, J., Lee, D. and Kim, N., (2018). Neighbourhood Police Officers: An Assessment of Needs for Uniform Renewal. ITAA 2018: Re-Imagine the Renewable. Cleveland, OH, Nov 6-9, 2018.
- Kincaid, M., Yaworski, A. & Tullio-Pow, S. (2018). Style Your Fit: Transgender/Maternity Clothing Needs, Fit Challenges, and Solutions. ITAA 2018: Re-Imagine the Renewable. Cleveland, OH, Nov 6-9, 2018.
- Schaefer, K., Tullio-Pow, S., Abel, S., Story, C., & Barry, B. (2017). The right fit: A clothing needs assessment of women with plus-size bodies (20+). In ITAA 2017 Proceedings: Anchored By Our Past, Navigating Our Future. St. Petersburg, FL: ITAA. Winner: Alvanon Research Award*
- Tullio-Pow, S. (2016). Mapping the Clothing Taskscape: Apparel Needs in Rehabilitation Therapy. In ITAA 2017 Proceedings: Anchored By Our Past, Navigating Our Future. St. Petersburg, FL: ITAA. Winner: ITAA Student Best Paper Doctoral*
- Ahsan, N. & Tullio-Pow, S. (2015). Functional Clothing for Natural Disaster Survivors. Disaster Prevention and Management: An International Journal, 24(3) pg. 306-319.
- Yu, H., Akhtar, A., & Tullio-Pow, S. (2015). Retail Design and the Visually Impaired: A Needs Assessment. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services (24), pg. 121-129.